Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2012, 04:09 PM

5,960 posts, read 5,544,156 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDnurse View Post
http:///www.webopedia.com/quick_ref/timeline.asp (broken link)

Tennessee Valley Authority - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

History of the Tennessee Valley Authority (TVA)

Hoover Dam - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Interstate Highway System - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I found a few in a few minutes. Most of the above were done when tax rates were much, much higher than today.

What do we have to show for the past 11 years? The lowest taxes ever, BS wars, deficit spending, etc.

Market Place - Those mortgage-backed derivative securities are about dead in the water. - NYTimes.com

United States housing bubble - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Again I ask...what have you posted that could NOT be done cheaper, faster and with higher quality by private industry?

Why do bureaucracy junkies always love to tout shoddy boondoggles and ignore the cost overruns and thick red tape of debt-fueled government "make-work" projects?

If government was the answer then Cuba, North Korea and Iran would be utopias.

Get a clue, liberals...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2012, 04:30 PM

7,184 posts, read 4,763,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clb10 View Post
Again I ask...what have you posted that could NOT be done cheaper, faster and with higher quality by private industry?

Why do bureaucracy junkies always love to tout shoddy boondoggles and ignore the cost overruns and thick red tape of debt-fueled government "make-work" projects?

Get a clue, liberals...
I answered your question. Kindly suggest you use your new iPad mini to do some actual reading because I know that you didn't read the first link I provided. Development of the internet was not a make work project.

Your posts sound like mindless parroting.

Old 04-21-2012, 05:28 PM

5,960 posts, read 5,544,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDnurse View Post
I answered your question. Kindly suggest you use your new iPad mini to do some actual reading because I know that you didn't read the first link I provided. Development of the internet was not a make work project.

Your posts sound like mindless parroting.
This is what I wrote which you've conveniently chosen to ignore:

Quote:
I concede that government has helped spawn advancements in science and engineering but that is usually in support of bombing poor people overseas or spying on Americans at home so its a wash.
The Internet (spelled with a capital "I") falls well within this as it was originally purposed to allow a way for Allies to maintain computer communications after a thermonuclear exchange.

So government science to support warfare.

I never said that ARPANET was a "make-work" project.

Hey, check these out!

Reading Comprehension Worksheets

You may find them useful...

Old 04-21-2012, 05:36 PM

19,792 posts, read 13,941,962 times
Supply-side voodoo — which claims that tax cuts pay for themselves and/or that any rise in taxes would lead to economic collapse — has been a powerful force within the G.O.P. ever since Ronald Reagan embraced the concept of the Laffer curve. But the voodoo used to be contained. Reagan himself enacted significant tax increases, offsetting to a considerable extent his initial cuts.

And even the administration of former President George W. Bush refrained from making extravagant claims about tax-cut magic, at least in part for fear that making such claims would raise questions about the administration’s seriousness.

Last year Mitch McConnell, the Senate minority leader, asserted that the Bush tax cuts actually increased revenue — a claim completely at odds with the evidence — and also declared that this was “the view of virtually every Republican on that subject.†And it’s true: even Mr. Romney, widely regarded as the most sensible of the contenders for the 2012 presidential nomination, has endorsed the view that tax cuts can actually reduce the deficit.

Here’s the point: the G.O.P. who sell this fanaticism, pays no price for crazy discredited ideas. Mr. Bush squandered the surplus of the late Clinton years, yet prominent pundits pretend that the two parties share equal blame for our debt problems. Paul Ryan, the chairman of the House Budget Committee, proposed a supposed deficit-reduction plan that included huge tax cuts for corporations and the wealthy, then received an award for fiscal responsibility.

So there has been no pressure on the G.O.P. to show any kind of responsibility, or even rationality — and sure enough, it has gone off the deep end. When the G.O.P. pays no price for crazy ideas and fanaticism, we are encouraging crazy ideas and fanaticism.

Old 04-21-2012, 06:00 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,737,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nzrugby View Post
Being in business I find this mantra chanted by some confusing, so lower taxes lead straight to more jobs even if there is no demand for the product or services one is hoping to offer ?

Why the confusion, lower taxes do not lead straight to more jobs unless one can find the customers willing to purchase one's product or service, no demand, why would one employ people ?

If lower taxes leads to people buying cars made and assembled in Germany with the cash in their pocket how does that help a bloke looking for a job ?
It doesn't.

There's absolutely no proof it does

Old 04-21-2012, 06:12 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,319,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clb10 View Post

Get a clue, liberals...
LOL
If you think bureaucracy is a feature of government alone you've CLEARLY never worked for a LARGE company. Bureaucracy is a fact of life in ANY large organization - whether it's public or PRIVATE. Anyone who's ever worked for a large company can tell you horror stories of boondoogles and cost overruns and red tape (where do think Scott Adams got his ideas for "DILBERT"? - it wasn't in the PUBLIC sector) - and more to the point, why do you think workers in big companies all over the country were able to RELATE to Dilbert?
All those things you mention are NOT a result of GOVERNMENT - they're a function of SIZE - and large corporations are typically just as messed up and wasteful in those regards as large governments. There's nothing "magical" about private enterprise as compared to government.

Ken

Last edited by LordBalfor; 04-21-2012 at 07:18 PM..

Old 04-21-2012, 06:19 PM

45,203 posts, read 26,417,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
LOL
If you think bureaucracy is a feature of government alone you've CLEARLY never worked for a LARGE company. Bureaucracy is a fact of life in ANY large organization - whether it public or PRIVATE. Anyone who's ever worked for a large company can tell you horror stories of boondoogles and cost overruns and red tape (where do think Scott Adams got his ideas for "DILBERT"? - it wasn't in the PUBLIC sector) - and more to the point, why do you think workers in big companies all over the country were able to RELATE to it?
All those things you mention are NOT a result of GOVERNMENT - they're a function of SIZE - and large corporations are typically just as messed up and wasteful in those regards as large governments. There's nothing "magical" about private enterprise as compared to government.

Ken
Whats the diff between a public sector drone and a private sector drone?
The private sector drone gets fired when their incompetence is dicovered and the government lacky gets promoted, transferred or suffers no repercussions.
Oh and I can choose not to do business with the big corp versus being forced to deal with bigguv (which is always done through threat of violence).

Does the term "accountability" mean anything to you?

Old 04-21-2012, 06:23 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,319,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
So big central guv and big corp okay with you?
Whats the diff between a public sector drone and a private sector drone?
The private sector drone gets fired when their incompetence is dicovered.
Oh and I can choose not to do business with the big corp versus being forced to deal with bigguv under threat of violence.

Does the term "accountability" mean anything to you?
It has NOTHING to do with ME.

I'm not the one running those huge private sector companies that are so messed up.

And to answer your question - A private sector drone who's incompetence is discovered gets PROMOTED (ie "the Peter Principle") - and once he gets all the way to top and is STILL incompetent - then he's fired with a multi-million dollars severance package (do you need me to link to some EXAMPLES? I can list PLENTY of such high profile situations).

Ken

Old 04-21-2012, 06:26 PM

1,610 posts, read 1,781,742 times
No it doesn't leas to more jobs, the rich pocket the money and keep it moving. People have to create their own jobs. The government nor the weathly can or will create jobs.

Old 04-21-2012, 06:27 PM

45,203 posts, read 26,417,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
It has NOTHING to do with ME.

I'm not the one running those huge private sector companies that are so messed up.

And to answer your question - A private sector drone who's incompetence is discovered gets PROMOTED (ie "the Peter Principle") - and once he gets all the way to top and is STILL incompetent - then he's fired with a multi-million dollars severance package (do you need me to link to some EXAMPLES? I can list PLENTY of such high profile situations).

Ken
Are you forced to deal with them?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies