Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2012, 06:31 AM

2,930 posts, read 2,224,453 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
You've got to be either a racist or a complete imbecile to use "tar baby" in 2012. Which is it?
Third option,....trying to defend a failed presidency by making race and issue when it is not.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2012, 06:42 AM

4,300 posts, read 4,408,773 times
Tar Baby is NOT a racist term. People have no right to re-define a word and invent a history for it AND then make everyone attribute that new definition/history to it. This is not freedom, but linguistical oppression. I don't correct people or get offended when someone used the term "Sp1c & Span" for the product name or when something is clean, just because it contains the word sp1c (which has no derogatory meaning within its context of use).

Last edited by Bulldawg82; 04-23-2012 at 06:50 AM..

Old 04-23-2012, 06:44 AM

14,076 posts, read 20,530,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sol11 View Post
Personally,...I think you're full of sheep dip. Seems you are the only one who remembers the "n*gger tar baby",....and you certainly are neither the oldest on this forum nor the only one from the deep South. Maybe you have selective memory.

And as for "Black Sambo",....where were all the tigers and wild exotics that were so integral to that story? Georgia? Alabama? What part of the South had the exotics in the story? More selective memories?

The Project Gutenberg eBook of Little Black Sambo, by Helen Bannerman.

Old 04-23-2012, 07:59 AM

Your claim:
In fact, there's another story which underwent a similar change, though you can find references to it on the net. It's the story of Sambo. Originally, it was Little Black Sambo, but over time Sambo became an Asian Indian or an Arab looking character.
The story was written by a Scottish author while living in India. Your claim that Sambo BECAME an Asian is a lie. The character and the setting was clearly in a jungle setting with tigers.

Old 04-23-2012, 08:14 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,701,448 times
Quote:
Your claim:
In fact, there's another story which underwent a similar change, though you can find references to it on the net. It's the story of Sambo. Originally, it was Little Black Sambo, but over time Sambo became an Asian Indian or an Arab looking character.
The story was written by a Scottish author while living in India. Your claim that Sambo BECAME an Asian is a lie. The character and the setting was clearly in a jungle setting with tigers.
LOL I wouldn't waste anymore time with that poster and his memory. He is like my Dad Ginko Biloba deficient.

Next you'll be reading that Ginko Biloba is a racist term.

Old 04-23-2012, 08:15 AM

14,076 posts, read 20,530,289 times
Quote:
Your claim:

How many blacks are there in India? Let me help you out: They are so statistically insignificant to not even register on anybody's list of ethnicities in that country, unless you count some darker-skinned Dravidian's as "black."

The point is that books are written to sell to their target audience, not necessarily to reflect actual demographics. So, given that, maybe you can explain why Sambo was called "black."

The Story of Little Black Sambo - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And, by the way, Sambo too is considered as a racial slur in THIS country. If Sambo were perceived as an Indian, why would that be?

Old 04-23-2012, 08:15 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,701,448 times
BTW Sambo's was a kick butt restaurant back in the day.

Old 04-23-2012, 08:17 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,111,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by softblueyz View Post
I have not heard the word "tar baby" used in decades. I grew up knowing that it was meant to be derogatory. Having seen it come up now, I have come to learn that it's original intent referred to a "sticky situation". Clearly, over time it evolved to mean something else - something derogatory, which I think the majority of people are aware of.

If you are referring to something being a "sticky situation", why not just call it a "sticky situation"?

But the term "tar baby" seems to have been resurrected by opponents of Obama - justifying it's usage to it's original intent. Now, could it just be a co-incidence to use a word that has been "dead" to describe a "sticky situtation" or is meant to be derogatory?

Last year Rep. Lamborn used it when he was discussing the nation's debt ceiling.

There is also another article where a spokesperson said:

Continue reading at NowPublic.com: Doug Lamborn 'Tar Baby' Comment Audio, Video: Apologizes to Obama | NowPublic News Coverage Doug Lamborn 'Tar Baby' Comment Audio, Video: Apologizes to Obama | NowPublic News Coverage

Rep. Lamborn apologizes after "tar baby" remark - CBS News

The issues/problems regarding oil is nothing new and has been discussed for years. But I can't recall anyone using "tar baby" when discussing the issues/problems, until now.

Read more: Michele Bachmann: Obama 'waving a tar baby' - Mackenzie Weinger - POLITICO.com

I don't like racists in general, but I am really, really starting to hate these racists.

It's from an old Uncle Remus tale. Every time B'rer Fox and B'rer Bear touched the "Tar Baby" they became more and more stuck.

I don't think it was meant as a racist remark, just another unfortunate (aka stupid) metaphor.

Old 04-23-2012, 09:38 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,538,911 times
Lightbulb What's up with using the term "tar baby" when critizing Obama??

Simple...

It's just another in a long line of childish insults that conservos hurl at this president, who they hate with an irrational vigor.

Old 04-23-2012, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
How many blacks are there in India? Let me help you out: They are so statistically insignificant to not even register on anybody's list of ethnicities in that country, unless you count some darker-skinned Dravidian's as "black."

The point is that books are written to sell to their target audience, not necessarily to reflect actual demographics. So, given that, maybe you can explain why Sambo was called "black."

The Story of Little Black Sambo - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And, by the way, Sambo too is considered as a racial slur in THIS country. If Sambo were perceived as an Indian, why would that be?
Keep dancing like a chicken on a hot stovetop,....but the fact remains that the story was written by a Scottish author living in India prior to 1900, and the characters were Indian in origin. It was later illustrations in America and other countries that made the subject appear African.

Your statement that the characters later became Asian/Arab is a total fabrication by you. Obviously your memory is flawed,....sort of like your "n*gger tar baby" claim.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies