Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2012, 08:23 AM

19,890 posts, read 18,755,547 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
And a tar baby is black, no doubt about it. Tar is black.

Language is constantly in flux. I think another descriptive term could be found. We don't need to use a term that is obviously racist.
Black clouds are black, is black cloud a racist term? This is getting silly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2012, 08:23 AM

10,854 posts, read 9,303,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
If one were to believe the slur that Boston is a racist city then it would be Democrats who are racist, because there are very few Republicans here.
History has shown us that Democrats can be very racist. After all it was Southern White Democrats that enacted Jim Crow Laws throughout the South in the 19th century and resisted the end of segregation in the mid 20th century. Then they got pissed off when Lyndon Johnson signed the Civil Rights Act of 1964 and the Voting Rights Act of 1965 and promptly left for the Republican Party. Who knows maybe with a little luck those folks in Massachusetts might do the same thing.

Old 04-22-2012, 08:25 AM

19,890 posts, read 18,755,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro69 View Post
Guess this is no different when David Howard used the word n i g gardly and was fired because of racist and stupid people that have only one agenda (1999) which continues to this day.

White DC Mayoral Staffer Loses Job for Saying "N iggardly"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Details of the N iggardly Controversy

Washington, DC's black Mayor, Anthony Williams, gladly accepted the resignation of his white staff member, David Howard, because Mr. Howard uttered the word '*****rdly' in a private staff meeting.

Webster's Tenth Edition defines the word '*****rdly' to "grudgingly mean about spending or granting". The Barnhard Dictionary of Etymology traces the origins of '*****rdly' to the 1300's, and to the words 'nig' and 'ignon', meaning "miser" in Middle English. No where in any of these references is any mention of racial connotations associated with the word '*****rdly'.

In other words, it's a perfectly good and useful word. But there is the unfortunate coincidence that it starts with the same four letters as the word "******". The news media are so loathe to use the "N" word, that they've been substituting the phrase "racial slur", as in "...they mistook the word '*****rdly' for a racial slur..."

Washington, DC's population is 60% black, and it's citizens have been very critical of Mayor Williams for "not being black enough" -- especially because he hired several well-qualified whites to help him run this troubled city.

Racial intolerance, ignorance, and misplaced political correctness have cost a white mayoral aide his job in Washington, DC. And, as many of the other stories on Adversity.Net clearly illustrate, the "*****rdly" controversy is only the tip of the "intolerance iceberg".
This is my favorite example of the stupidity of the illiterate who are driving this conversation. Why are we folding to such clearly stupid people? We need to call a spade a spade.

Old 04-22-2012, 08:25 AM

14,483 posts, read 11,285,313 times
I remember the outrage expressed by some black congressman over the term "Black Hole". You know, the term used to describe an actual black hole in space.

Old 04-22-2012, 08:31 AM

11,345 posts, read 16,708,690 times
Quote:

Language is constantly in flux. I think another descriptive term could be found. We don't need to use a term that is obviously racist.
So, if I say my company is in the "black", that means I'm racist also?

Old 04-22-2012, 08:41 AM

2,930 posts, read 2,224,829 times
Quote:

Bowling balls are black, also.

Is "bowling ball" racist?

Old 04-22-2012, 08:42 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,183,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
Wiki.
Some of us are of an age to remember what he posted. I saw the movie and had the book as a child.

(Though I don't remember the n-word being used to be honest. But I was pretty young. The term "tar baby" has had offensive connotations for as long as I can remember.)

Old 04-22-2012, 08:51 AM

5,450 posts, read 8,763,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro69 View Post
So, if I say my company is in the "black", that means I'm racist also?
Nope. It's only racist if the meaning is negative. Go figure.

If a company being in the black was a bad thing, people would say its racist. But as long as the word black is being used positively no one will ever accuse you of being racist.

I wonder if Native Americans have a problem with companies being in the red?

Old 04-22-2012, 08:53 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,889,092 times
From wiki:

Quote:
Several United States politicians—including presidential candidates John McCain, John Kerry, Michele Bachmann, and Mitt Romney—have been criticized by civil rights leaders, the media, and fellow politicians for using the "tar baby" metaphor.[10][11][12][13][14][15][16][17][18][19][20][21] An article in The New Republic argued that people are "unaware that some consider it to have a second meaning as a slur" and it "is an obscure slur, not even known to be so by a substantial proportion of the population." It continued that, "those who feel that tar baby's status as a slur is patently obvious are judging from the fact that it sounds like a racial slur" (italics in original text).[22] In other countries, the phrase continues to refer to problems of an intractable nature[vague] worsened by intervention.[23]
I am betting the term tar baby has been used occassionally by politicians before the Obama administration just that no one paid any attention to it.

Old 04-22-2012, 08:56 AM

1,438 posts, read 1,146,151 times
Tar baby - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Here you go. A good explanation of "tar baby". At the bottom they also show all of the politicians, left and right, who have gotten crap for using the term.

Though there's nothing in there about a "n****r tar baby" in here, I'm sure that poster isn't lying. There have been a lot of books where that word is used and has been omitted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies