Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2012, 06:14 AM

37,802 posts, read 41,008,695 times

Advertisements

How do you feel about the domestic use of drones, especially the non-police uses of them?

"The FAA previously said it has approved dozens of nonmilitary uses of unmanned aircraft, ranging from law enforcement to firefighting to wildlife monitoring. Drones also have been used for news coverage, mapping and agricultural applications. The University of North Dakota uses drones in connection with an undergraduate degree program in unmanned aircraft systems it started in 2009. Al Palmer, a university official involved in the program, said about 78 students have declared majors in the field and that graduates have found jobs with drone manufacturers or operators."

Drone Use Takes Off on the Home Front - WSJ.com

I think it's definitely a great field of study in college. Worried about privacy issues, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2012, 07:59 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,450,574 times
I have no problem with the domestic use of drones, providing they can be used safely. With regard to privacy, if these drones are operated by government (local, state, or federal) then they are subject to the same restrictions the US Constitution imposes on all law enforcement.

Old 04-22-2012, 08:04 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times
Well Congress just approved money for 30,000 drones to be used in the US.
Doesn't matter how you feel about them..they are going to be used.

Old 04-22-2012, 08:05 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
I have no problem with the domestic use of drones, providing they can be used safely. With regard to privacy, if these drones are operated by government (local, state, or federal) then they are subject to the same restrictions the US Constitution imposes on all law enforcement.
And we all know that the government stays within the laws they created don't we ?

The Patriot Act and "national security" trumps any of those privacy laws.

Old 04-22-2012, 08:05 AM

1,168 posts, read 1,244,494 times
I'm definitely worried about the privacy issues, but I think it's a progress that can't be stopped. Too many useful applications to it.

Old 04-22-2012, 01:23 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,358,834 times
There was an article about this yesterday in my local paper, the Seattle Times.
Eye-in-sky SPD drones stir privacy concerns | Local News | The Seattle Times

Seattle Police applied for and got approval to use UAV's under a law signed by Pres. Obama. Lots of comments including one who predicted that they will be used for traffic enforcement, kind of a flying red-light cam. Imagine the fine revenue if cities can now have armies of drones writing tickets for lane change w/o signal, 65 in a 60, failure to come to a full stop, or other common violations.

Old 04-22-2012, 01:43 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,831,906 times
Drones in the sky. Drones on the ground. It's all coming together. Where is your skynet now?
This video creeps me out every time I watch it.

Boston Dynamics Big Dog (new video March 2008) - YouTube

Old 04-22-2012, 01:46 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,184,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
How do you feel about the domestic use of drones, especially the non-police uses of them?

"The FAA previously said it has approved dozens of nonmilitary uses of unmanned aircraft, ranging from law enforcement to firefighting to wildlife monitoring. Drones also have been used for news coverage, mapping and agricultural applications. The University of North Dakota uses drones in connection with an undergraduate degree program in unmanned aircraft systems it started in 2009. Al Palmer, a university official involved in the program, said about 78 students have declared majors in the field and that graduates have found jobs with drone manufacturers or operators."

Drone Use Takes Off on the Home Front - WSJ.com

I think it's definitely a great field of study in college. Worried about privacy issues, though.
The drones might be good (with any explosives) to punch holes in various mega-churches.

Old 04-22-2012, 02:22 PM

8,483 posts, read 6,931,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post
Drones in the sky. Drones on the ground. It's all coming together. Where is your skynet now?
This video creeps me out every time I watch it.

Boston Dynamics Big Dog (new video March 2008) - YouTube
My guess would be large portions floating up there with the satellites.

Has anybody seen the new show Person of Interest?
Love how they paint "pre-crime" in a good light. You don't see the "machine" watching in private places. They mention pattern matching, but don't really get into AI. The design and implementation is totally vague. (Not gonna hear about nano for instance.) Also notice it's not actual law enforcement really using it... (lol)

Old 04-22-2012, 02:28 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,848,488 times
To me its like those redlight cameras . It only shows that people say they want the laws enforced but what they really want is it enforced on others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies