Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2012, 02:29 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,477,951 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Legal recompense - sure - I would file a civil suit - and I have previously stated that the Kalonji's have a good civil case - and I would award them damages if I was on the jury - given the facts I know now.

But you weren't discussing legal remedy in your hypothetical scenario - you assumed that i would call the cops - and I maintain that calling in LE would be the last thing that I would do. Remember - this is in a rural area - the cops aren't going to show up for several minutes - a Dominos pizza might arrive before they do - so one needs to be resourceful - use their head and deal with a situation on their own instead of being dependent on the government to save them - and if you follow the news - I would hope that you would be very distrustful of police "assistance". I have told you that I do not own a firearm, so i would have to improvise - but I am confident that I could handle a situation on my own.

Again - this is a hypothetical situation which you are using to distract from a real issue. Let's return to reality - you can write fiction in the forum a few floors below.
Okie Dokie; your mom and dad being met by Rufus and Chester is hypothetical whereas your account of anyone arriving at rural property are expected to introduce themselves to the neighbours prior to said arrival is not fictional in nature.

I think the reality you live in is a figment of your imagination.

Guns and nuts - oil and water.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2012, 02:39 PM

8,299 posts, read 8,603,285 times
Quote:
you assumed that i would call the cops - and I maintain that calling in LE would be the last thing that I would do. Remember - this is in a rural area - the cops aren't going to show up for several minutes
Calling the police is the first and only thing that one should have done in this situation.

Old 04-26-2012, 02:42 PM

29,094 posts, read 25,996,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by helenejen View Post
Calling the police is the first and only thing that one should have done in this situation.
Why?

Old 04-26-2012, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Why?
It is not your job to protect your neighbor's property at gunpoint or through any other potential means of violence. Call the police and wait for them to show up to give your statement.

Old 04-26-2012, 03:42 PM

Quote:
It is not your job to protect your neighbor's property at gunpoint or through any other potential means of violence. Call the police and wait for them to show up to give your statement.
I have stated many times throughout this thread that the Canoles' were wrong to have held the Kalonji's at gunpoint. There was also no reason to call the police. They could have verified the Kalonji's story very easily and all would have ended well. I can't see how you can justify that "calling the police should be the first and only thing that one should have done".

Old 04-26-2012, 03:47 PM

Quote:
I have stated many times throughout this thread that the Canoles' were wrong to have held the Kalonji's at gunpoint. There was also no reason to call the police. They could have verified the Kalonji's story very easily and all would have ended well. I can't see how you can justify that "calling the police should be the first and only thing that one should have done".
Are you kidding? I have no responsibility to verify my business to any other person other than the owner of a property upon which I may be trespassing or a police officer. Neither did the Kalonji's.

And what exactly did you think the police are for? This very kind of situation. The fact that you would potentially put yourself in bodily harm for the sake of someone's else's possession is beyond ridiculous. Call 911 if there is a questionable situation in which the police may be necessary. Even a child knows that.

Old 04-26-2012, 03:49 PM

Quote:
And what exactly did you think the police are for?
I don't see that they serve any legitimate purpose.

Old 04-26-2012, 03:52 PM

Quote:
I don't see that they serve any legitimate purpose.
Well you obviously don't value your life or the life of others then, if you are not willing to take the basic precaution of calling the police in a situation in which you think something criminal may be going on.

Old 04-26-2012, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Well you obviously don't value your life or the life of others then, if you are not willing to take the basic precaution of calling the police in a situation in which you think something criminal may be going on.
I do value my life and the lives of others - and that is exactly one of the reasons why I would not call the police in such a situation.

Old 04-26-2012, 04:05 PM

Quote:
I do value my life and the lives of others - and that is exactly one of the reasons why I would not call the police in such a situation.
Oh, so you don't think that the police should generally be trusted, eh. Well here's hoping that you never need a police officer, though as you obviously like the idea of playing sheriff I don't think will be the case.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies