Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2012, 06:03 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,005,925 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by helenejen View Post
Yes, we know, Harrier. You like playing sheriff and think that everyone should.
I don't know what "playing sheriff" means - I just want to know why people automatically think the only and best action to take in this situation was to call the police? People can and should handle things on their own and if that fails then as a matter of last resort - maybe you ask for help. The Canoles's should have never involved their weapons nor LE in this situation. They could have easily verified the Kalonji's story and ended this whole conflict peacefully. Why is that everyone wants to complicate matters by bringing in a third party?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2012, 06:04 PM

8,299 posts, read 8,605,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sco View Post
Is this even a serious question?

If you think someone is committing a crime, you call the police and let them do their jobs. Law enforcement has the proper training and authority to investigate and take care of the situation.
Harrier doesn't believe in law enforcement.

Old 04-27-2012, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Is this even a serious question?

If you think someone is committing a crime, you call the police...
We disagree. However if you would support your arguments with reasons why people should call LE in such a situation - I might be persuaded to your point of view.

Old 04-27-2012, 06:07 PM
Sco

4,259 posts, read 4,918,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
We disagree.
Obviously, I believe in the rule of law and private property rights. You seem to think every idiot with a gun should have the authority to enter private property, assault and detain anyone they want anytime they want. Despite what you think, just because you live in the same neighborhood does not give you some type of special authority to enter someone else's property and act like Batman.

Old 04-27-2012, 06:12 PM
Sco

Quote:
We disagree. However if you would support your arguments with reasons why people should call LE in such a situation - I might be persuaded to your point of view.
You can't be serious.

You think you are witnessing a crime in action, two options:

1. Call police and let the pros handle it

2. Grab a gun, enter private property, start your own investigation, assaulting anyone that gets in your way.

Old 04-27-2012, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Obviously, I believe in the rule of law and private property rights. You seem to think every idiot with a gun should have the authority to enter private property, assault and detain anyone they want anytime they want.
No I believe in the rule of law and private property rights also - you might want to re-read this thread to get a better idea of my position on the Canoles' irresponsible actions - I'm tired of repeating things to people who have blocks in their head. However - I don't automatically think that law enforcement should be involved in every little thing that occurs - they are simply hired mercenaries that people pay to do dirty work for them - the courts are the venue where law is upheld - and any citizen can bring another to the court without a third party being involved.

Old 04-27-2012, 06:15 PM
Sco

Quote:
I don't know what "playing sheriff" means - I just want to know why people automatically think the only and best action to take in this situation was to call the police? People can and should handle things on their own and if that fails then as a matter of last resort - maybe you ask for help. The Canoles's should have never involved their weapons nor LE in this situation. They could have easily verified the Kalonji's story and ended this whole conflict peacefully. Why is that everyone wants to complicate matters by bringing in a third party?
I can't tell if you are really this stupid or just being intentionally dense.

What part of not having the right to enter someone else's property and act like a super hero do you not understand?

The Canoles' should have never stepped foot on someone else's property.

Quote:
You can't be serious.

You think you are witnessing a crime in action, two options:

1. Call police and let the pros handle it

2. Grab a gun, enter private property, start your own investigation, assaulting anyone that gets in your way.
Sigh - you obviously have not read this thread because if you did you would understand that I do not own a firearm, would NOT use a gun in the above scenario and absolutely without reservation do NOT condone the Canoles's actions. I also do not believe what they did contitutes a crime. Do some reading before jumping to conclusions and trying to paint me with ridiculous false dichotomies..

22,923 posts, read 15,487,222 times
Quote:
Now you're off on another crusade of Don Quixote proportions.

Duuh; if you suspect a crime is in progress the law requires you to report it. would that be a valid reason and we know you've defended the Canoles with the premise they genuinely thought a crime was in progress. So that's a done deal.

Now on to your other tid-bit; you disagree with the Conoles calling the cops.

Interesting because they did so in belief they were witnessing a crime in progress so, in essence, calling the cops is the ONLY thing they did correctly and legally. THAT'S the part you disagree with? Mmmmm .

Here we go again.

Old 04-27-2012, 06:17 PM
Sco

Quote:
Sigh - you obviously have not read this thread because if you did you would understand that I would do not own a firearm, would NOT use a gun in the above scenario and absolutely without reservation do NOT condone the Canoles's actions. I also do not believe what they did contitutes a crime. Do some reading before jumping to conclusions and trying to paint me with ridiculous false dichotomies..
I have read your other posts, the gun thing is just a strawman that you use when backed into a corner.

Please explain why you think trespassing, unlawful detention and assault with a deadly weapon are not crimes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies