Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2012, 05:48 AM

10,029 posts, read 8,342,360 times

Advertisements

Quote:
WASHINGTON — Look out, America. “Joe the Bumbler” is coming to a town near you. And the president should be very afraid — he should be very afraid.

LMAO @ Joe! 1/20/13.......

Joe Biden blooper machine’s a gift to the GOP - BostonHerald.com (http://bostonherald.com/news/columnists/view/20220423bumblin_biden_blooper_machines_a_gift_to_t he_gop/srvc=home&position=3 - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2012, 06:51 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,941,962 times
Those are the big gaffes? Biden called Romney “Sen. Romney” instead of “Governor Romney;” called the university president "Dr. Pepper,” instead of “Dr. Paper, etc.?”

Everyone makes slips of the tongue and calls "Iran," "Iraq" or "Osama" when they meant "Obama" -- and most of those gaffes have the shelf life of a banana. But that's a far cry from Romney, however.

According to Michael Kinsley, a gaffe is when a politician accidentally tells the truth. That’s certainly what happened to Mitt Romney. Speaking in Michigan, Mr. Romney was asked about deficit reduction, and he absentmindedly said something completely reasonable: “If you just cut,... as you cut spending you’ll slow down the economy.” A-ha. So he believes that cutting government spending hurts growth, other things equal.

The right’s ideology police were, predictably, aghast. And a Romney spokesman tried to walk back the remark. Almost surely, he is, in fact, a closet Keynesian.

We know who Romney turns to for economic advice; heading the list are Glenn Hubbard and Harvard's Gregory Mankiw. While both men are loyal Republican spear-carriers, both also have long track records as professional economists. And what these track records suggest is that neither of them believes any of the propositions that have become litmus tests for would-be GOP presidential candidates.

Given his advisers, then, it seems safe to assume that what Mr. Romney blurted out reflected his real economic beliefs -- as opposed to what the Republican base wants to hear. And therein lies the reason Mr. Romney is running a campaign of almost pathological dishonesty.

The truth is while Biden may mistakenly substitute one name for a wrong one, Romney is so deeply committed to actual insincerity that voters can't trust anything that he says.

So, when Romney said, "I’m not concerned about the very poor. We have a safety net there," it completely contradicted his statement a few days earlier where he said the exact opposite -- that safety net programs that take care of the poor have “massive overhead,” and “very little of the money that’s actually needed by those that really need help, those that can’t care for themselves, actually reaches them.”

That's why Romney's Etch-A-Sketch gaffe paints Romney into a corner as a world-class flip-flopper and the Biden gaffes are insignificant in comparison.

Old 04-23-2012, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
Those are the big gaffes? Biden called Romney “Sen. Romney” instead of “Governor Romney;” called the university president "Dr. Pepper,” instead of “Dr. Paper, etc.?”

Everyone makes slips of the tongue and calls "Iran," "Iraq" or "Osama" when they meant "Obama" -- and most of those gaffes have the shelf life of a banana. But that's a far cry from Romney, however.

According to Michael Kinsley, a gaffe is when a politician accidentally tells the truth. That’s certainly what happened to Mitt Romney. Speaking in Michigan, Mr. Romney was asked about deficit reduction, and he absentmindedly said something completely reasonable: “If you just cut,... as you cut spending you’ll slow down the economy.” A-ha. So he believes that cutting government spending hurts growth, other things equal.

The right’s ideology police were, predictably, aghast. And a Romney spokesman tried to walk back the remark. Almost surely, he is, in fact, a closet Keynesian.

We know who Romney turns to for economic advice; heading the list are Glenn Hubbard and Harvard's Gregory Mankiw. While both men are loyal Republican spear-carriers, both also have long track records as professional economists. And what these track records suggest is that neither of them believes any of the propositions that have become litmus tests for would-be GOP presidential candidates.

Given his advisers, then, it seems safe to assume that what Mr. Romney blurted out reflected his real economic beliefs -- as opposed to what the Republican base wants to hear. And therein lies the reason Mr. Romney is running a campaign of almost pathological dishonesty.

The truth is while Biden may mistakenly substitute one name for a wrong one, Romney is so deeply committed to actual insincerity that voters can't trust anything that he says.

So, when Romney said, "I’m not concerned about the very poor. We have a safety net there," it completely contradicted his statement a few days earlier where he said the exact opposite -- that safety net programs that take care of the poor have “massive overhead,” and “very little of the money that’s actually needed by those that really need help, those that can’t care for themselves, actually reaches them.”

That's why Romney's Etch-A-Sketch gaffe paints Romney into a corner as a world-class flip-flopper and the Biden gaffes are insignificant in comparison.
Blah....blah....blah

Nice try at making excuses for Biden.

Old 04-23-2012, 12:46 PM

19,792 posts, read 13,941,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Roma View Post
Blah....blah....blah
Not making any excuses at all. Anyone who thinks that these make a difference in elections is deluding themselves. If they did, the guy who said these would never have been re-elected:

"Too many good docs are getting out of the business. Too many OB-GYNs aren't able to practice their love with women all across this country." —Poplar Bluff, Mo., Sept. 6, 2004

"Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we. They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we." —Washington, D.C., Aug. 5, 2004

"I want you to know. Karyn is with us. A West Texas girl, just like me." —Nashville, Tenn., May 27, 2004

"Then you wake up at the high school level and find out that the illiteracy level of our children are appalling." —Washington, D.C., Jan. 23, 2004

"Free societies are hopeful societies. And free societies will be allies against these hateful few who have no conscience, who kill at the whim of a hat." —Washington, D.C., Sept. 17, 2004

"I want to thank the astronauts who are with us, the courageous spacial entrepreneurs who set such a wonderful example for the young of our country." —Washington, D.C. Jan. 14, 2004

"We will make sure our troops have all that is necessary to complete their missions. That's why I went to the Congress last September and proposed fundamental — supplemental funding, which is money for armor and body parts and ammunition and fuel." —Erie, Pa., Sept. 4, 2004

"After standing on the stage, after the debates, I made it very plain, we will not have an all-volunteer army. And yet, this week — we will have an all-volunteer army!" —Daytona Beach, Fla., Oct. 16, 2004

"Tribal sovereignty means that; it's sovereign. I mean, you're a — you've been given sovereignty, and you're viewed as a sovereign entity. And therefore the relationship between the federal government and tribes is one between sovereign entities." —Washington, D.C., Aug. 6, 2004

"I hear there's rumors on the Internets that we're going to have a draft." —second presidential debate, St. Louis, Mo., Oct. 8, 2004

Old 04-23-2012, 02:48 PM

46,259 posts, read 27,074,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
Not making any excuses at all. Anyone who thinks that these make a difference in elections is deluding themselves. If they did, the guy who said these would never have been re-elected:

"Too many good docs are getting out of the business. Too many OB-GYNs aren't able to practice their love with women all across this country." —Poplar Bluff, Mo., Sept. 6, 2004

"Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we. They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we." —Washington, D.C., Aug. 5, 2004

"I want you to know. Karyn is with us. A West Texas girl, just like me." —Nashville, Tenn., May 27, 2004

"Then you wake up at the high school level and find out that the illiteracy level of our children are appalling." —Washington, D.C., Jan. 23, 2004

"Free societies are hopeful societies. And free societies will be allies against these hateful few who have no conscience, who kill at the whim of a hat." —Washington, D.C., Sept. 17, 2004

"I want to thank the astronauts who are with us, the courageous spacial entrepreneurs who set such a wonderful example for the young of our country." —Washington, D.C. Jan. 14, 2004

"We will make sure our troops have all that is necessary to complete their missions. That's why I went to the Congress last September and proposed fundamental — supplemental funding, which is money for armor and body parts and ammunition and fuel." —Erie, Pa., Sept. 4, 2004

"After standing on the stage, after the debates, I made it very plain, we will not have an all-volunteer army. And yet, this week — we will have an all-volunteer army!" —Daytona Beach, Fla., Oct. 16, 2004

"Tribal sovereignty means that; it's sovereign. I mean, you're a — you've been given sovereignty, and you're viewed as a sovereign entity. And therefore the relationship between the federal government and tribes is one between sovereign entities." —Washington, D.C., Aug. 6, 2004

"I hear there's rumors on the Internets that we're going to have a draft." —second presidential debate, St. Louis, Mo., Oct. 8, 2004
So, it's o.k. if the left posts things like this, but when the right does it, it's not o.k.?

Old 04-23-2012, 02:51 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,929,215 times
Quote:
Those are the big gaffes?
You're joking? Bite-me is a gaffe a minute.

My favorite is Bite-me talking about the Indian 7-11 workers.

While not technically a gaffe, the montage of just how much Bite-me and obama depended on Corzine for "economics" will come in really handy.

Old 04-23-2012, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
So, it's o.k. if the left posts things like this, but when the right does it, it's not o.k.?
LMAO- Invoking "But George W. Bush".....how original-right?

Old 04-23-2012, 02:52 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,664,841 times
Quote:
Blah....blah....blah

lol, yeah, and this thread isn't even about Romney. As the left would say, "they must be skeered!"

Dummies!

JoeBlowBiden is a laugh a minute, but even his gaffes are nothing compares to Obammy's. 57 states with 3 to go? Corpse instead of Corps.

He's a complete moron. Only low IQs think he's smart. Comparitively speaking, maybe he is.

Old 04-23-2012, 02:53 PM

6,993 posts, read 6,335,421 times
Quote:
LMAO @ Joe! 1/20/13.......

Joe Biden blooper machine’s a gift to the GOP - BostonHerald.com (http://bostonherald.com/news/columnists/view/20220423bumblin_biden_blooper_machines_a_gift_to_t he_gop/srvc=home&position=3 - broken link)
Romney's everyday campaign speeches are a gift to the DNC...

Old 04-23-2012, 02:54 PM

46,259 posts, read 27,074,383 times
This is a BIG F'N deal!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1945 View Post
Romney's everyday campaign speeches are a gift to the DNC...
Stay on topic, this is not about Romney.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies