Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2012, 07:19 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,934,013 times

Advertisements

Apparently the Obama administration, via an HHS insurance "experiment", is doing some fancy re-direction of taxpayer money to keep/buy votes of the elderly in November by staving off some of the most egregious cuts to seniors from Obamacare which have been set to kick in just before the election.

President Obama’s Medicare slush fund—Benjamin E. Sasse & Charles Hurt - NYPOST.com

Quote:
It’s hard to imagine a bigger electoral disaster for a president than seniors in crucial states like Florida, Pennsylvania and Ohio discovering that he’s taken away their beloved Medicare Advantage just weeks before an election.

This political ticking time bomb could become the biggest “October Surprise” in US political history.

But the administration’s devised a way to postpone the pain one more year, getting Obama past his last election; it plans to spend $8 billion to temporarily restore Medicare Advantage funds so that seniors in key markets don’t lose their trusted insurance program in the middle of Obama’s re-election bid.
Most transparent administration ever!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2012, 07:21 AM

3,457 posts, read 3,623,334 times
I think it's a smart move.

America is better off if we stop spending that money on Medicare in the long term, and America is better off if Obama gets re-elected. So it's a win-win.

I doubt Republicans would've made the long-term cut in the first place; and as for the short term $8 billion, that is nothing in the context of the Medicare system. If this is the cost of reform, I'll take it.

Old 04-23-2012, 07:26 AM

6,933 posts, read 8,493,925 times
You need to broaden your news sources ... and read ones other than FOX and Murdoch. OP-Ed type columns are interesting, but I wouldn't hang my hat on what's said in them. Especially not ones promoted by Murdoch.

Old 04-23-2012, 02:52 PM

46,289 posts, read 27,099,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cletus Awreetus-Awrightus View Post
I think it's a smart move.

America is better off if we stop spending that money on Medicare in the long term, and America is better off if Obama gets re-elected. So it's a win-win.

I doubt Republicans would've made the long-term cut in the first place; and as for the short term $8 billion, that is nothing in the context of the Medicare system. If this is the cost of reform, I'll take it.
So, then why do they want to move it a year out? Why not put it into place before the election, as it is supposed to be?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomexico View Post
You need to broaden your news sources ... and read ones other than FOX and Murdoch. OP-Ed type columns are interesting, but I wouldn't hang my hat on what's said in them. Especially not ones promoted by Murdoch.
Why are you shooting the delivery guy, can you dispute this information?

Old 04-23-2012, 04:20 PM

2,930 posts, read 2,224,453 times
Quote:
.....and it would be nice if you discussed the issue instead of the OP. You might want to check the various news sources carrying the same, or similar, stories before you make a total ass of yourself.

Using taxpayer funds for purely political purposes should be illegal,...but it probably wouldn't make any difference in the corrupt cesspool of politics called "mexico".

goAmerica,..hellwithmexico!!!!

Old 04-23-2012, 04:50 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,701,448 times
Quote:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/23/he...lion.html?_r=1

GAO denounces giveaway to private Medicare Advantage plans - PNHP's Official Blog

Health Highlights: April 23, 2012 - US News and World Report

White House Downplays GAO Report on Questionable Bonuses Through Medicare Advantage - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/white-house-downplays-gao-report-questionable-bonuses-medicare-210457657--abc-news-politics.html - broken link)

Old 04-23-2012, 04:56 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Doesn't the WH need the approval of Congress to re-route money ?

Old 04-23-2012, 05:09 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,108,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Doesn't the WH need the approval of Congress to re-route money ?
This doesnt sound like its being re-routed, just a change on how its spent. Congress would create budgets and authorize spending on Medicare, but what Medicare does with that money once they have it, isnt Congressional concern.

Old 04-23-2012, 05:27 PM

7,085 posts, read 12,055,553 times
So Obama is planning death panels and Obamacare is going to kill the elderly...but he is diverting funds to give them a cushy lifestyle and great medical care....

Which is it? You can't have both. They are mutually ****ing exclusive unless you have fewer brain cells then teeth.

Old 04-23-2012, 05:29 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subsound View Post
So Obama is planning death panels and Obamacare is going to kill the elderly...but he is diverting funds to give them a cushy lifestyle and great medical care....

Which is it? You can't have both. They are mutually ****ing exclusive unless you have fewer brain cells then teeth.
With voter ID laws being passed you can't have the dead voting for you can you ?

He's diverting funds for the vote; not because he cares about their lifestyles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies