Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2012, 07:45 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,771,962 times

Advertisements

That works for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2012, 07:53 AM

18,782 posts, read 17,356,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW
Konservatism is a collective, such as a church, social club, political party of small minded people that want everything to be simple and just like them.
From what dictionary did you get this godawful definition? "Konservatism [sic] is a collective?" File under: 'what does that even mean?'

Conservatism, as generally used in current parlance, is basically a moderate version of libertarianism. Conservatives favor smaller government, less taxation, same as libertarians, only to a lesser degree.

Old 04-24-2012, 07:56 AM

2,162 posts, read 3,364,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
From what dictionary did you get this godawful definition? "Konservatism [sic] is a collective?" File under: 'what does that even mean?'

Conservatism, as generally used in current parlance, is basically a moderate version of libertarianism. Conservatives favor smaller government, less taxation, same as libertarians, only to a lesser degree.
I was thinking the same thing. That comment was ludicrous at the worst. Total insanity at best.

Old 04-24-2012, 08:27 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,676,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Apparently they think Libertarianism is the same as Konservatism. It is not by a long shot. Konservatism is a collective, such as a church, social club, political party of small minded people that want everything to be simple and just like them. Libertarianism is the second cousin to anarchy and anarchy requires a lot of thought to survive the other Libertarians.
What could be simpler and more small-minded, then abdicating your own responsibilities to a powerful government, empowering nameless, faceless bureaucrats to take care of your needs, wants and desires?

BTW, be careful about trying to compare religious groups with conservatives, because conservatives want our laws to follow the Constitution, and religious groups want our laws to follow books like the bible or the Koran.

Old 04-24-2012, 08:48 AM

1,020 posts, read 1,712,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aganusn View Post
What else is new? Most conservative thinking is somewhat self centered and xenophobic: "I've decided I want more money, so taxes must be too high?" or "There's too many people speaking spanish, they must be illegal immigrants!"
Please provide specific, concrete details that would confirm this ludicrous statement, or cease such mindless drivel.

Old 04-24-2012, 08:49 AM

10,545 posts, read 13,583,124 times
Low effort thought = accepting ridiculous study after ridiculous study without question or analysis because they seem to validate simple minded partisanship.

Old 04-24-2012, 09:04 AM

867 posts, read 498,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wade52 View Post
Never thought of it that way. Reminds me of a favorite quote:

"Every complex issue has a simple, easy-to-understand solution that won't work."
Yes, like throwing taxpayer money at problems, substituting government programs for individual responsibility ....

Old 04-24-2012, 09:18 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,531,346 times
Default There might be something to this

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprtrpr View Post
"Conservative political ideology in Western democracies may be identified by several components, including an emphasis on personal responsibility, acceptance of hierarchy, and a preference for the status quo. These ideological components map closely onto nonideological psychological processes, which support attitudes consistent with political conservatism. We describe how attitudes and behaviors consistent with these components increase as a consequence of thinking that requires little time, effort, or awareness. From this starting point, we develop the argument that political conservatism is promoted when people rely on low-effort thinking. When effortful, deliberate responding is disrupted or disengaged, thought processes become quick and efficient; these conditions promote conservative ideology."

http://psp.sagepub.com/content/early...39213.full.pdf
I voted Republican for decades, without ever really giving it much thought. They were the good guys and the Democrats were the bad guys and that's all there was to it. As a matter of fact, I still get GOP solicitations for contributions, disguised as "opinion surveys."

But once I started taking politics more seriously during the disastrous Bush years, I realized how far the GOP had drifted from its foundations.

I now oppose them on almost everything besides gun ownership.

I haven't changed, but they have.

Old 04-24-2012, 10:58 AM

161 posts, read 211,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
I voted Republican for decades, without ever really giving it much thought. They were the good guys and the Democrats were the bad guys and that's all there was to it. As a matter of fact, I still get GOP solicitations for contributions, disguised as "opinion surveys."

But once I started taking politics more seriously during the disastrous Bush years, I realized how far the GOP had drifted from its foundations.

I now oppose them on almost everything besides gun ownership.

I haven't changed, but they have.
Being Republican does not always equate to being Conservative. They have gone so far right since Bush that it is unbelievable.

Old 04-24-2012, 10:59 AM

1,211 posts, read 1,533,960 times
Conservatives dont believe in science, so they wont believe in this study. Jesus provides all the answers to the conservative mind's problems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies