U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2012, 11:43 AM

14,089 posts, read 26,188,856 times

Advertisements

NJ Father Records Teachers Bullying His Autistic Child (http://www.myfoxphilly.com/dpp/news/local_news/nj-father-records-teachers-bullying-his-autistic-child - broken link)

Shocking behavior. Father puts a wire on his autistic son and was shocked by what he heard. He was even more shocked that the teacher wasn't fired. She was merely moved from that class. If this were to happen to my cousin's autistic daughter, her 6'3" 280 lbs father would be talking with his hambone fist.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2012, 12:44 PM

5,450 posts, read 8,258,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
NJ Father Records Teachers Bullying His Autistic Child (http://www.myfoxphilly.com/dpp/news/local_news/nj-father-records-teachers-bullying-his-autistic-child - broken link)

Shocking behavior. Father puts a wire on his autistic son and was shocked by what he heard. He was even more shocked that the teacher wasn't fired. She was merely moved from that class. If this were to happen to my cousin's autistic daughter, her 6'3" 280 lbs father would be talking with his hambone fist.
Just had a discussion about this with my daughter. I'm going to give you my unpopular take on it.
I listened to it. Jodi was fired and should have been simply for calling the kid a bastard.
I have subbed for quite a few years now and my favorite is self contained special Ed.
We did not hear all 6 hours of recording.
Those classrooms are crazy at best AND a lot of fun.
Other than "shut your mouth" and "bastard". I didnt hear the kid provoked.
When the kid asked the question about Dad after Mom, I have to admit I couldn't understand the child.
It is quite possible the teacher was trying to conduct a lesson and didn't understand either and just said no to try and remain on topic.
That said, she was insensitive at worst.
I have a scar on my eye from an autistic child. Completely not his fault. He was so incredibly frustrated at himself for going to the bathroom in his pants. He ripped the hair from the aide that tried to help change him before she ran out of the classroom and then I helped him.
I also heard the dad say the behavior expert couldn't set him off. I'm thinking maybe they were not in a classroom setting when trying to set him off. Other kids really affect special Ed kids' behaviors.
After the whole bathroom incident and the boy screaming, the whole class was set off and it took everyone quite some time to calm.
Not trying to make excuses, just trying to shed some light on possibilities.

Old 04-24-2012, 02:03 PM

14,089 posts, read 26,188,856 times
You also think it's ok for the faculty to speak in front of the class about getting drunk, hung over, and throwing up?

Old 04-24-2012, 02:45 PM

22,557 posts, read 20,471,146 times
They can easily have video in the classroom , why don't they?

Old 04-24-2012, 03:04 PM

5,450 posts, read 8,258,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
You also think it's ok for the faculty to speak in front of the class about getting drunk, hung over, and throwing up?
I never said it was. Don't put words in my mouth.

Old 04-24-2012, 03:23 PM

20,306 posts, read 20,952,015 times
I am the father of an autistic child who is now an adult. Over the years I have learned a great deal.
1. The school district is never your friend....... Not ever, not even neutral. The school district looks at your special needs child as a source for state and fed money. They will then try to ship your child off to a convenient warehouse for special needs when possible.
2. Fight for your child. The state and county reps are civil service. They think their job is to justify their own existance. Your child is only a tool for them.
3. There are good teachers. Unfortunately there are also many bad teachers. Never trust a stranger to care about your child like you do.
This idiot of a teacher is all to common and the school districts response is equally common. Chances are that teacher has tenure so the Union will fight tooth and nail for the individual.
The child is the victim of a system that is meant to be a money maker for the school district. A quality education for the child might happen if the teaching staff cares. If so that will be in spite of the system and the school districts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies