Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2012, 12:02 PM

13,186 posts, read 14,952,928 times

Advertisements

Could you offer an explanation for what I have observed?

I deal with Hispanic immigrants on a fairly regular basis as I rent to them and they do work for me. They may or may not be legal immigrants, I don't ask or care.

I love renting to them. I get the rent of time, they demand little, they have a good humor, strong work ethic. I see them working two jobs, rarely taking off.

How is it that they are so law abiding here? Most of with old fashion family values and then when you look in Mexico, they have some of the highest murder rates in the entire World?

One other point. To my surprise, some of these day laborers I have used backed the PRI party in Mexico, which I thought was unusual as it's the status quo party of the elites there, and leans to the right.

I ask out of ignorance. I don't have point to make here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2012, 01:31 PM

5,524 posts, read 9,924,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post

I deal with Hispanic immigrants on a fairly regular basis as I rent to them and they do work for me. They may or may not be legal immigrants, I don't ask or care.

I love renting to them. I get the rent of time, they demand little, they have a good humor, strong work ethic. I see them working two jobs, rarely taking off.

How is it that they are so law abiding here? Most of with old fashion family values and then when you look in Mexico, they have some of the highest murder rates in the entire World?

One other point. To my surprise, some of these day laborers I have used backed the PRI party in Mexico, which I thought was unusual as it's the status quo party of the elites there, and leans to the right.

What??

I don't have to be Hispanic to answer this. Ready?

There are good people and there are bad people. Done.

Old 04-24-2012, 01:47 PM

7,801 posts, read 10,085,987 times
Everyone has different political beliefs and it's not necessarily related to their social standing or income.

I know some extremely poor Puerto Ricans who are rabid frothing at the mouth Carlos Romero Barcelo style give me 51st state or DEATH statehooders (statehood = Federal income taxes), while I know other quite wealthy Puerto Ricans who are pro-territorial commonwealth status quo (no Federal income taxes = more money for them).

Conventional wisdom says all Blacks vote Democrat ... well what about Mia Love, Allan West, Herman Cain, Condi Rice, Colin Powell, etc? Everyone is different ...

Old 04-24-2012, 01:47 PM

50,155 posts, read 46,811,218 times
Quote:

trespassing, identity theft and tax evasion = good work ethic? Who knew.

Old 04-24-2012, 01:57 PM

3,236 posts, read 3,929,524 times
Quote:

I guess you are asking out of ignorance because its not like Mexico in its entirety is a gangland. It's like saying North Dakota and Detroit are equally dangerous. Most people don't go around killing, its a few bad eggs who are drug running. As for backing the PRI, they were kind of dictatorial but when they were in charge, they kept order and the murder rate was way lower. A lot of Mexicans respond to that. Their elections are more free but the organized criminals of the PRI were keeping a kind of controlled institutional corruption. Now its spread all over the place with factions fighting and killing each other.

Old 04-24-2012, 02:01 PM

9,189 posts, read 7,577,391 times
Quote:

I know what your problem is. You stereotype.

Old 04-24-2012, 02:27 PM

1,702 posts, read 1,914,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Painting with a pretty broad brush aren't we? A friend of mine was a formerly illegal immigrant who now has one son with a Harvard degree and another attending Stanford.

Old 04-24-2012, 02:31 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,182,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffrow1 View Post
Painting with a pretty broad brush aren't we? A friend of mine was a formerly illegal immigrant who now has one son with a Harvard degree and another attending Stanford.
yes because all honest hard working people lie and cheat to get what they want.

Old 04-24-2012, 02:34 PM

5,299 posts, read 4,835,771 times
Quote:

Violence in Juarez, certainly the highest homicide rates in Mexico, is based around drug cartels and gangs fighting each other. Those that are not involved in the factions, or in the police and military fighting them, are unlikely to be killed. Detroit is viewed as having more violent crime than Juarez.

Your topic seems to be focused more on Mexican immigrants and their children born in the United States (in Mexican terminology, "Chicanos")...

Old 04-24-2012, 02:37 PM

5,299 posts, read 4,835,771 times
Quote:
...They may or may not be legal immigrants...
That may or may not matter to some here:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies