Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2012, 02:21 PM

4,300 posts, read 4,407,894 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
No it won't. Your paying out what would end up being an crazy amount of money just to get there. Meanwhile the stuff your trying to get is right here on earth in the ground. Now as said earlier by a previous poster maybe this could help in the development of some rocket engines to get us farther out but mining and getting it cost effective?? All I can do is laugh. It is a ridiculous venture and they are only hoping some green loons loaded with cash come asking to donate IMO. I'm sure if it works old T Boone Pickens will do his switch from nat gas to asteroid mining like he did from wind farms to nat gas. lol
That is free enterprise. They are free to lose their own money. But do you really think that they want to lose money? They would have to think that the possibility of making money is there (but, perhaps as they pursue this venture, they realise differently???). I'm all for private enterprise pursuing the incredible (whether realistic or ridiculous). The pursuit alone would give us some new technology or invention.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2012, 02:24 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,000,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldawg82 View Post
That is free enterprise. They are free to lose their own money. But do you really think that they want to lose money? They would have to think that the possibility of making money is there (but, perhaps as they pursue this venture, they realise differently???). I'm all for private enterprise pursuing the incredible (whether realistic or ridiculous). The pursuit alone would give us some new technology or invention.
If you read my original post I said it's there money do with it what they want. I can point out how ridiculous it is though.

Old 04-24-2012, 02:27 PM

12,755 posts, read 9,645,078 times
It tickles me to no end to see these RWers rant and rave over what some rich people want to do. They are always such staunch defenders of the wealthy; what happened?

What happened to the American pioneer spirit; you know, the same spirit that built this country and that RWers are constantly harping on..the roots of the founding of this country.

I am sure that many Europeans and others thought their friends and relatives were on a fool's journey when they left their home countries to settle and develop America.

RWers are wimps now?

LOL

Oh, my bad...mining asteriods involves the use of SCIENCE, the bane of the RWNJs.

Old 04-24-2012, 02:32 PM

13,053 posts, read 12,948,893 times
Quote:
Of course it's too expensive to do it on earth and "really hard". LOL. Are these nutjobs just completely off their rockers or have they watched Armageddon one too many times?? I'm sure precious elements from asteroids will be much more cheaper than diggin some up on earth.

"The venture, which would be the first effort to mine the solar system commercially, has the backing of billionaire Ross Perot, Google board member Kavitark Ram Shriram and International Software Corp. founder Charles Simonyi as well as Page and Schmidt. Within a decade it plans to develop galactic “gas stations” that will use hydrogen and oxygen in asteroid water to refuel spacecraft, including satellites.
“Ripping up the Earth’s crust not only is terribly intrusive from an environmental point of view, but it’s actually really expensive and really hard,” Anderson said. “Why not go to the source? There is ample technology to go to asteroids and begin to use resources that convert them into their constituent elements.”

Hey it's their money do with it what you want. If Obama gets a whiff of this nonsense I'm sure another stimulous will be in order to fund this nonsense. I wonder if these guys buy up a lot of beachfront property in Oklahoma too?

Google Chiefs Back Startup Mining Asteroids for Metals - Bloomberg

Nothing wrong with private entities going forth to create new avenues of wealth. You know the saying "Nothing ventured, nothing gained". The beauty of the issue is "for now" there is no "movement" established to destroy commercial venture there like there is on earth, so it may be a savvy business focus. The issue is if they can obtain what they desire without it sinking them financially.

As long as we aren't sinking tax payer money into it, I say... more power to them.

The side effect of this may be beneficial though. Think of a "private enterprise" war on obtaining minerals in outer space? Just think how fast technology will develop as they race for that ability to do it cost effectively?

I see it as a win/win for everyone... providing the government isn't footing the bill. If they are, the joke is on us as the "venture" will be nothing more than public relations trying to stave off the knowledge that their venture is to suck the public dry.

Old 04-24-2012, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
It tickles me to no end to see these RWers rant and rave over what some rich people want to do. They are always such staunch defenders of the wealthy; what happened?

What happened to the American pioneer spirit; you know, the same spirit that built this country and that RWers are constantly harping on..the roots of the founding of this country.

I am sure that many Europeans and others thought their friends and relatives were on a fool's journey when they left their home countries to settle and develop America.

RWers are wimps now?

LOL

Oh, my bad...mining asteriods involves the use of SCIENCE, the bane of the RWNJs.
I don't see anybody ranting and raving until your post. Many like me say hey if you want to waste your money on it feel free. That doesn't mean I can't say what a ridiculous venture this actually is. You on the other hand rant and rave and scream "RWers are wimps". LOL. Look in the mirror hero.

Old 04-24-2012, 02:39 PM

13,621 posts, read 12,729,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
What the mind can conceive, the mind can achieve.

hmm very braud statement!!!!

i'm thinking of a world with a universal peace tomorrow not possible

i'm thinking of traveling to the farthest galaxy in a couple of minutes

the national deficit will be payed off in a few days, because everybody says it will simultaneusly

Old 04-24-2012, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
Nothing wrong with private entities going forth to create new avenues of wealth. You know the saying "Nothing ventured, nothing gained". The beauty of the issue is "for now" there is no "movement" established to destroy commercial venture there like there is on earth, so it may be a savvy business focus. The issue is if they can obtain what they desire without it sinking them financially.

As long as we aren't sinking tax payer money into it, I say... more power to them.

The side effect of this may be beneficial though. Think of a "private enterprise" war on obtaining minerals in outer space? Just think how fast technology will develop as they race for that ability to do it cost effectively?

I see it as a win/win for everyone... providing the government isn't footing the bill. If they are, the joke is on us as the "venture" will be nothing more than public relations trying to stave off the knowledge that their venture is to suck the public dry.
They'll need to build a space elevator first. Still workin on that one too though.

Google X's Space Elevator: Why It Will Not Happen Soon - TIME

Old 04-24-2012, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruxan View Post
hmm very braud statement!!!!

i'm thinking of a world with a universal peace tomorrow not possible

i'm thinking of traveling to the farthest galaxy in a couple of minutes

the national deficit will be payed off in a few days, because everybody says it will simultaneusly
You left out a part...one has to actually WORK to achieve, not just think about it.

Old 04-24-2012, 02:47 PM

Quote:
I don't see anybody ranting and raving until your post. Many like me say hey if you want to waste your money on it feel free. That doesn't mean I can't say what a ridiculous venture this actually is. You on the other hand rant and rave and scream "RWers are wimps". LOL. Look in the mirror hero.
You don't? If my post was ranting, raving, and screaming, I just don't know how you missed the others! Must have just glossed over them 'cause they're your buds.

Old 04-24-2012, 02:47 PM

22,229 posts, read 17,851,724 times
Mining ship in space? Wait, that's where they ran into "Alien".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies