Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2012, 07:14 PM

45,225 posts, read 26,437,203 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
They're not. They're involved in child labor laws and have been for decades.

Anybody got a problem with child labor laws?
I do, they are nonsense and should be the purview of the individual states.
Do you have a problem with kids mowing grass and doing odd jobs for neighbors while acquiring a work ethic?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2012, 07:18 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,528,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
I do, they are nonsense and should be the purview of the individual states.
Do you have a problem with kids mowing grass and doing odd jobs for neighbors while acquiring a work ethic?

Well gee. Let's just go back to the 19th century when states DID have control and kids as young as 6 or 7 were working in mines 7 days a week for fifty cents. Or, cotton mills. Or, gunpowder manufacturing.

Screw 'em, right? Let the little bastid's contribute to society.

Old 04-25-2012, 07:24 PM

7,787 posts, read 8,028,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
They're not. They're involved in child labor laws and have been for decades.

Anybody got a problem with child labor laws?
yeah the President. what are these kids doing working? they need to be on gov programs learning how to be dependent on us. they should be unemployed filling out gov forms. working? that might stick with them the rest of their lives like a cancer. unacceptable

Old 04-25-2012, 07:29 PM

478 posts, read 784,871 times
Jeez, the spin is incredible. Obama's not the answer to all the problems, but not the source of all of them, either.

If you want to be informed, without spin, look at Factcheck.org They aren't on one side or the other, just calling out facts. I am really tired of the Republicans vs Democrats and all of the other stuff, posted by people who only have one set of information.

Inform yourself from sources without bias, otherwise all you're doing is preaching the faith, not facts. I am not directing this at either side ... I am suggesting it for everybody.

Factcheck.org is a great source of information. Stop the bias based on twisted truths ... both sides, all sides! If all you know is Fox News or MSNBC, you are full of their bias!

Edit: I should clarify that I don't try to pretend to know it all. I try to keep up with things, especially if I want to participate in a political discussion. Here you will notice I am not taking either side, only asking that people get information from different sources.

Old 04-25-2012, 07:31 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,219,329 times
I grew up on a small dairy farm. We milked 40 head. 2 times a day 365 a year. Picking stone, baleing hay, building fence, chopping corn. None of us 5 kids died or were seriously hurt. When we did get hurt it was less due to the job and more to not listening or doing what most kids do.
I know this, compared to kids who didnt live on the farm, we were stronger more endurance and more independent. Non farm kids were more prone to whine or complain about minor things. I see the same today.
Only there are less farm kids than before.
I think Mr Obama might want to stick to something he knows more about. It seems that he has surrounded himself with people who are great talkers but lack real life experience.
I laugh when someone talks about training. Do they believe that dad lets 5 year old john drive a 60 thousand dollar tractor?

Old 04-25-2012, 07:39 PM

865 posts, read 623,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
Yup! Republicans love children BEFORE they're born but don't give a damn what happens AFTER they're born.

Republicans want child labor laws that PROTECT LIVING children abolished.

Republicans do NOT care how many LIVING CHILDREN are killed or maimed doing jobs that are beyond their years.

Republicans do not want anything to do with protecting LIVING children.

AND how STUPID is it to think that every President must know EVERY occupation(oh, gee, Obama never lived on a farm how can he be President).....

OK WHERE IS THE LIST OF PRESIDENTS WHO HAVE LIVED ON A FARM , OP???

???????

Is Romney familiar with every occupation in the US? Are ALL our legislators???

REALLY?! Are they??? If they aren't they better not try to pass any legislation....!!
What an asinine post...talk about STUPID.

Old 04-25-2012, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
I grew up on a small dairy farm. We milked 40 head. 2 times a day 365 a year. Picking stone, baleing hay, building fence, chopping corn. None of us 5 kids died or were seriously hurt. When we did get hurt it was less due to the job and more to not listening or doing what most kids do.
I know this, compared to kids who didnt live on the farm, we were stronger more endurance and more independent. Non farm kids were more prone to whine or complain about minor things. I see the same today.
Only there are less farm kids than before.
I think Mr Obama might want to stick to something he knows more about. It seems that he has surrounded himself with people who are great talkers but lack real life experience.
I laugh when someone talks about training. Do they believe that dad lets 5 year old john drive a 60 thousand dollar tractor?
Point taken, but can you honestly say that Geo W had all the answers? He is the one who was in charge when the bailout started, not Obama, as many believe.

Old 04-25-2012, 07:45 PM

Facts are good to know. If you don't want to know facts that interfere with your way of thinking, you have dumbed yourself down ... not aimed at anyone in particular.

Old 04-25-2012, 08:24 PM

15,089 posts, read 8,631,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCroozer View Post
SO WHAT????????????? Listen to you!!! Accidents happen all the effing time. Wanna know the most dangerous sport for teenagers? CHEERLEADING! Farming is dangerous work always has been. It's none of your business or anyone else's what responsibilities a family wants to give their kids. I was driving tractors and using lawn mowers and power tools before I could drive. Hell I was driving cars before I could drive on my family's property. Get over yourself! I learned how to weld when I was 10. Learned how to shoot a gun before that. You are CLUELESS!!!!!!!!

Kids are getting high in LA off fricking hand sanitizer! Do dolts like you propose that we all have to show an ID to buy fricking hand sanitizer now? Geezus flipping christ what the hell has become of Americans?
Drooling, mind control slaves, incapable of a single rational thought. That's what's wrong. And it's gonna get waaaay worse, if they don't quickly wise up.

Old 04-25-2012, 08:31 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,183,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Why is the federal government involved at this level of micro-managing farms?
Because those kids are taking away jobs that Union Workers should be doing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies