Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2012, 10:03 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,125,272 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sol11 View Post
.....lie with dogs,....get up with fleas.

Hanging with criminals gets you a record. And PLEASE don't insult everyone's intelligence by stating he was just "hitchin' a ride",...totally innocent,...victim of circumstances. If he was in college he should have been intelligent enough to know the reputation of the people with whom he chose as friends. A truly innocent person would have fought the crime instead of accepting a plea.
I don't disagree that it is never good to keep bad company, but the punishment (and the consequences of that punishment) should fit the crime.

Merely being in the presence of drugs at one point in your life when you were associating with evildoers should not ruin your life and career.

Though I hear that plenty of police departments hire former criminals...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2012, 10:08 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
We can build more prisons and institute harsher sentences for every level of crime. If you're not a criminal, then you have nothing to worry about. If you are a criminal, then the consequences of your actions against society should be dealt with severely.
Wow. That's original.

Old 04-28-2012, 03:39 PM

12,436 posts, read 11,948,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Wow. That's original.
Sounds like what politicians have been saying for the last 50 years, and that is precisely why we are in the situation that we are in now.

Old 04-28-2012, 03:57 PM

5,450 posts, read 8,762,566 times
The correctional system is a pendulum. It used to be punitive. Then it went rehabilitative. Rehabilitation alone isn't working. Gang Units aren't working. They know how to play the game. They know what to do and say to get what they need to for parole, to be released from the Gang Unit, whatever.
My opinion is it needs to go back towards punitive.

Old 04-28-2012, 08:37 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
Sounds like what politicians have been saying for the last 50 years, and that is precisely why we are in the situation that we are in now.
Obviously. But i guess Aero thinks he's come up with some novel idea.

Old 04-30-2012, 09:58 AM

13,221 posts, read 12,320,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btsilver View Post
Not even that. Just get rid of the requirement about having to say you were convicted of a crime. You did your time and it shouldn't be held against you anymore.

Hmmm, I did not think of that. On the flip side would'nt you want to know if someone went to jail for embezzlement if they applied for a position in payroll? Or a child molestor if you owned a daycare center?

Old 07-02-2012, 05:26 AM

45 posts, read 93,461 times
Default Humanity Sucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by deevel79 View Post
Did you read my post correctly? I said that he was IN A CAR that had over 500 bags of heroin in it. The heroin did not belong to him nor was it found on him. Like I said....He was in the wrong car with the wrong people at the wrong time.
The more I read about this stuff, the more I feel sad that humanity has not learned how to get along and be fair. Sometimes I feel we deserve the 2012 prophecy.

Old 07-02-2012, 09:14 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,624,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ulnevrwalkalone View Post
America has a higher proportion of its population in prison than any other developed nation. This is a sign that our correctional institutions are not achieving their goals. Does anyone actually come out better on the other side of going to prison or do people only get worse? What can we do to fix the system?

When prisons are privately owned corporations, that are traded on the NY Stock Exchange, you know there is going to be some corporate run police state that is going to happen.

Old 07-02-2012, 09:17 AM

6,486 posts, read 6,184,988 times
Needs reform. First off, only true criminals need to go. Second, incarceration times would be shorter if we took some amenities and made it like it's supposed to be. And third: violent criminals need a different category of prison all together. Bread, gruel, and water. No TV, NO LUXURIES!

Old 07-02-2012, 09:27 AM

6,391 posts, read 5,167,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ulnevrwalkalone View Post
America has a higher proportion of its population in prison than any other developed nation. This is a sign that our correctional institutions are not achieving their goals. Does anyone actually come out better on the other side of going to prison or do people only get worse? What can we do to fix the system?
1. The goal of a prison, is a punishment.

2. The reason we have a higher population in prison, is because the number of people raised without morals, or responsibility for their actions.

3. The fix is to teach people to be decent people, before they become criminals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies