Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2012, 02:06 AM

3,387 posts, read 6,628,032 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzy24 View Post
What's interesting about it? This man is dead. This isn't road rage but drive thru rage? Why do people get into silly altercations and let their temper get the best of them?

The shooter should be charged, imo.
I agree 100%!

Quote:
Originally Posted by midatlantic12 View Post
The shooter was simply standing his ground while being in fear of his life (a dog leash can be used as a deadly weapon).

Not guilty.
Bullspit. He was in a VEHICLE, not in the damn thunderdome or anything.

Guilty, and let him fry!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2012, 08:49 AM

381 posts, read 506,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Factsplease View Post
People need to be punished and these SYG laws were a mistake. As we can see, anyone who gets into a physical confrontation can say that their life was in danger, committ murder and get away with it. It needs to stop.
SYG has saved more innocent lives than it has killed. if my uncle practiced SYG, he would still be alive. my aunt was also in a situation where she fired her weapon but missed the bad guy (he fled). i'm sure that saved her life. btw, she used to be anti-gun before her brother died. actually, my whole family was anti-gun before they were victimized. it wasn't after my 2nd child was born that i realized anyone can become a victim (someone tried breaking into our home while i worked the night shift). SYG is an extension of the castle doctrine, which is an extension of every state's self defense laws, which is granted by the Constitution. denying SYG is denying that society has the right to defend themselves.

when society realizes that getting into a confrontation will most likely end up fatal, the incidents of confrontations will diminish. keep your cool and you will live longer.

i tend to ignore these stories because i also ignore stories of families dying in car accidents. bad judgement cannot be legislated. a person with a gun using bad judgement is no different than a person killing people with their car. you don't outlaw cars or remove driving privileges for everyone. the only difference is that one is a constitutional right and the other is an economic necessity.

Old 05-01-2012, 09:07 AM

78,416 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Why not go do some research and get back to us.
Speculation and allegations do nothing to open discussion.

But you know that.
Wow, did you really just miss him sarcastically drawing parallels to the wild speculation, outright lies etc. that swirled around in the early going of the Trayvon Martin saga?

While I would hope that both Zimmerman and this guy should at a minimum face a grand jury....you can't appreciate the blow black after all the racist crap that came spewing out as the TM scandal grew?

It's threads like this that are pure blow-back at the hypocrisy and racebaiting.

(These comments are not directed at people that challenged the small cadre of racists that showed up to the TM scandal....but rather the "first responders" that made the entire incident about *race* and not an overzealous neighborhood watch guy.

Old 05-01-2012, 02:27 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,737,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Why not go do some research and get back to us.
Speculation and allegations do nothing to open discussion.

But you know that.
Damn woman, get a sense of humor! I even expanded on that train of thought with a more ridiculous and sarcastic post. Lighten UP and enjoy the hypocrisy with the rest of us!

Old 05-13-2012, 07:32 AM

78,416 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Bump. Still no charges.
No name released.
And all the people that swarmed the Trayvon threads are still hiding from this thread....when the only significant difference is the races of the people involved. Seems like a textbook example of oh....racism.

Family tired of waiting for decision on deadly shooting - CBS 5 - KPHO

Old 05-13-2012, 08:07 AM

6,897 posts, read 4,752,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midatlantic12 View Post
The shooter was simply standing his ground while being in fear of his life (a dog leash can be used as a deadly weapon).

Not guilty.

Old 05-13-2012, 08:19 AM

Well even though they have SYG in Arizona, I would think being somewhat protected in his car and being able to drive away from trouble, I really don't know whether SYG applies here. I know the shooter has no duty to retreat, but because of the circustances, each case has to be investigated to see if SYG applies. Not sure how it works.

Old 05-13-2012, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factsplease View Post
I said it in another thread, the killer should be charged and arrested. As for what they're waiting for, remember the whole SYG/probable cause thing? Sucks doesn't it? They have to be consistent in letting murderers get away with murder, don't you think? The rules apply to everyone. Personally I think the rules need to be changed.

This is beyond self-defense and standing ground. This is to the point where anyone can get into an argument or a physical altercation, shoot and kill someone and claim self-defense and the police will accept the murderer's story, no questions asked. There are plenty of instances where this has happened. I really do feel for the victim's family. They are in mourning knowing that the killer is still free.

[SARCASM]The man said his life was in danger - isn't that all anyone needs to say when they have a registered gun? We should believe the killer JUST because he said his life was in danger, shouldn't we? Why aren't all the gun barrel sucking folks on the murderer's side? He said it was self-defense so we should believe him because he owns a gun.[/SARCASM]
If he had a LTC then it may very well be self defense, as stated in another post, each case should be investigated to see if SYG applies.

Old 05-13-2012, 08:28 AM

Heres another...

Taco Bell Shooting Victim was Holding Leash, Not Weapon.flv - YouTube

Old 05-13-2012, 08:29 AM

Arizona SYG....

Arizona
Arizona Revised Statutes § 13-418[21]
13-418. Justification; use of force in defense of residential structure or occupied vehicles; definitions
A. Notwithstanding any other provision of this chapter, a person is justified in threatening to use or using physical force or deadly physical force against another person if the person reasonably believes himself or another person to be in imminent peril of death or serious physical injury and the person against whom the physical force or deadly physical force is threatened or used was in the process of unlawfully or forcefully entering, or had unlawfully or forcefully entered, a residential structure or occupied vehicle, or had removed or was attempting to remove another person against the other person's will from the residential structure or occupied vehicle.B. A person has no duty to retreat before threatening or using physical force or deadly physical force pursuant to this section.C. For the purposes of this section:1. "Residential structure" has the same meaning prescribed in section 13-1501.2. "Vehicle" means a conveyance of any kind, whether or not motorized, that is designed to transport persons or property.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies