Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2012, 08:37 AM

8,411 posts, read 7,422,948 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by palmtreehat View Post
Please let be real here, Zimmerman caused this entire situation, not Trayvon.
We don't know if that's true but given Zimmerman's past criminal record and his action on that night, the legal system believe they had enough evidence to arrest him on probable cause. He's not 100% innocent or he won't need to raise a defense fund. People can say he did it to protect himself or the neighborhood but if he had did it the right way he won't have been thrown in jail, put in confinement from the rest of the jail, wearing a bullet proof vest and facing a $1 million defense bill. He did something wrong no matter how you want to spin it on Trayvon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2012, 08:43 AM

154 posts, read 524,669 times
I think its clear that Zimmerman pursued Trayvon - it was a situation that did not have to happen and very well should have never happened. It breaks your heart on both sides - there are no winners. There were contributing factors to Zimmerman's actions but nevertheless, an innocent person was killed. The problem is that the DA filed 2nd degree murder charges which I believe will be very difficult and costly to convict. The bar is set too high - a jury that possibly could have convicted him on manslaugher charges may not be able to convict him on 2nd degree murder. He may be acquitted because DA was too aggressive.

Old 04-27-2012, 08:50 AM

39,869 posts, read 26,508,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Singlelady10 View Post
We don't know if that's true but given Zimmerman's past criminal record and his action on that night, the legal system believe they had enough evidence to arrest him on probable cause. He's not 100% innocent or he won't need to raise a defense fund. People can say he did it to protect himself or the neighborhood but if he had did it the right way he won't have been thrown in jail, put in confinement from the rest of the jail, wearing a bullet proof vest and facing a $1 million defense bill. He did something wrong no matter how you want to spin it on Trayvon.

So...you are saying innocent people are never arrested? That by virtue of being arrested, he must be guility? Heck, why don't we just throw out the bill of rights, the courts and the criminal justice system and imprision everyone the police arrest? We'd save a whole bunch of money that way. And even OJ would have been brought to justice.

To say someone arrested for a crime doesn't need a legal defence (lawyer), which is the purpose of the "defense fund"....isn't exactly the brightest or most insightful post I've seen on C-D.

Old 04-27-2012, 08:52 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,823,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
He was on a personal errand when he saw tm. I don't think a nw member is perpetually 'on duty.' He was a private citizen doing what he felt should be done.

Whether he followed tm after the dispatcher advised not to is debateable. He claims no. I've seen people claim he was too far away from his car to simply be looking for a street sign. I'm waiting for more info on this one.

Either way, we'll see whether the following/not following issue is relevant to the legal use of justifiable force. I don't think it is.

I don't know if he was on a personal errand or not, am not trying to debate that, which is why I said "if he was acting in the capacity of the NW captain." I don't know if he was or was not. But if he was, he has opened up the Home Owner's Association for a civil suit.

Also, I am not one to believe someone who is trying to save themselves from prison. I am not trusting of people in general, but especially not of someone who killed someone, hell even if I know someone stole something once or lied to me, I will not trust them for a very long time, if ever and that is only after they have earned back my trust. I know from reports that he was NW captain. I know he made numerous calls to 911 to report people, which is what a NW captain does. I know he lived in the complex where he shot and killed Martin. I would be more apt to believe that he was not working in the capacity of the NW captain if he had been at the store and saw a "suspicious person." If he had been anywhere that was not the community where he was the NW captain. Because he was in his community, and because he called, I don't believe him and also because he was in his community, he has opened up the HA for a civil suit. He can say that he was on an errand but he was in the community where he was the NW captain when this occurred and he did call authorities so in a way did fulfill the duties of NW until he got out of the car and had this confrontation with Martin.

Old 04-27-2012, 08:53 AM

14,483 posts, read 11,282,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Do you just jump in and out of these threads? My post was in response to a request for the official rules of NW. See below:
Kat, lay out what you think happened.

For the sake of disclosure I think it went something like this:

Zimmerman followed Martin, Martin stopped and confronted Zimmerman to ask him why the f--k he was following him. A scuffle began with Martin gaining the upper hand. Zimmerman then drew and shot.

Old 04-27-2012, 09:05 AM

11,186 posts, read 6,507,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
[snip] Because he was in his community, and because he called, I don't believe him[snip]
I snipped the rest of your post because it comes down to, you don't believe him.

Old 04-27-2012, 09:05 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,111,393 times
Was Trayvon Martin halfway through a neighbor's window carrying a bag of stolen goods? No. Was he carrying a weapon? No. Was he acting suspiciously? No, well, unless you think carrying snacks to your dad's house is suspicious.

Zimmerman ended this kid's life because he was a cop wannabe. If he had done what the dispatcher told him to, he would NOT be facing murder charges, and Trayvon would be alive.

I don't know if Zimmerman is a racist, I don't know the man.

It was a tragic decision on Zimmerman's part to play cop.

Old 04-27-2012, 09:09 AM

2,440 posts, read 3,431,442 times
Sooo... Is this thread intended to dispel the notion that white people can be purely rascist, or justify Martin's murder? I mean, white boys commit their share of crime too. There is actually more of them.

Old 04-27-2012, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
There is no evidence that Trayvon confronted Zimmerman. There are no witnesses to the beginning of the fight.

There is no evidence that Trayvon "assaulted" Zimmerman, either.

How do you know he didn't run? Zimmerman himself said "they always get away".

The fact that Zimmerman killed Trayvon is NOT in dispute.
If Trayvon was running, then why didn't he reach his destination? There is no dispute that there was a physical confrontation. Given the fact that Trayvon was a presumably healthy 17 year-old, wouldn't it follow that he would have no problem getting away from the man who was pursuing him?

Old 04-27-2012, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
I posted the link, too.
Its seems actual information is too much for some people, they would rather deal in innuendos and insults.
Or suppositions. For example: Let's suppose someone was witnessing a rape and had the means to stop it (i.e. a gun), are they are supposed to just call the cops and wait for assistance?

The police respond to crimes, they don't stop them.

Last edited by Mr. Joshua; 04-27-2012 at 09:31 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies