Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2012, 10:35 AM

10,581 posts, read 9,782,576 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Concord bans sale of plastic water bottles - BostonHerald.com (http://news.bostonherald.com/news/regional/view.bg?articleid=1061127266 - broken link)

Concord bans sale of plastic water bottles

By Associated Press
Thursday, April 26, 2012

CONCORD -- Residents of the historic Massachusetts town of Concord have voted to ban the sale of single-serve plastic water bottles at local stores. The ban on sales of bottles of a liter or less passed at Wednesday’s town meeting 403-364.

Supporters say it’s the most sweeping water bottle ban passed by any municipality in the nation and will cut down on pollution and limit exposure to toxic chemicals.

Opponents say singling out one form of plastic is ridiculous and the ban will harm local businesses.

(snip)

(Full text of the article can be read at the above URL)
Just a minute.

(scratching head)

I thought that the reason people STARTED to buy water in small plastic bottles was to cut down on pollution and limit exposure to toxic chemicals???

I clearly remember the screams from years ago, of people insisting that our tap water was loaded with minerals, chemicals, pollutants, you name it, and this was the SOLE reason why the water-in-small-plastic-bottles industry got started and grew to the size it is today.

Now they're BANNING water in small plastic bottles because it forms too many pollutants, toxic chemicals, .........

(sigh) I'm SO confused.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2012, 10:36 AM

8,323 posts, read 15,168,876 times
If they're not being recycled or reused, plastic water bottles are terribly wasteful.

Old 04-26-2012, 10:37 AM

14,076 posts, read 20,528,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post

I clearly remember the screams from years ago, of people insisting that our tap water was loaded with minerals, chemicals, pollutants, you name it, and this was the SOLE reason why the water-in-small-plastic-bottles industry got started and grew to the size it is today.
I don't remember that argument being advanced when it first started. I thought it was just convenience.

But, if it's true it's really quite humorous, considering how much of that premium priced water comes right out of some municipal tap.

Old 04-26-2012, 10:40 AM

4,214 posts, read 3,759,540 times
Which is why I have a Nalgene bottle that I can fill up from the water cooler. Not using them cuts down on the amount of plastics used, saves them from people who dont recycle, any why buy them when you could fill a water bottle for free?

Old 04-26-2012, 10:43 AM

45,223 posts, read 26,437,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangman66 View Post
Which is why I have a Nalgene bottle that I can fill up from the water cooler. Not using them cuts down on the amount of plastics used, saves them from people who dont recycle, any why buy them when you could fill a water bottle for free?
And you didnt even need a law to tell you buy one.

Old 04-26-2012, 10:44 AM

5,524 posts, read 9,938,373 times
If the water sits in the bottles too long or they are reused or the bottles are cheaply made then the water absorbs the chemicals in the bottle making it toxic. At least that's what my mother in law always says.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies