Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2012, 12:40 PM

9,240 posts, read 8,666,331 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB.Good View Post
For one, a lot of Hispanics (and non-Hispanics) have family or friends who are here illegally. A lot of these "illegals" that they know are good, hard-working, contributing members to this country. All they want is a chance to improve their life.

When you have Republicans painting them with one brush as thieving, lazy, scam artists, a lot of Latinos, legal and illegal, will take offense.
I agree a lot of Hispanics have family members & friends here illegally, but that does not help our country.

There should be stiff penalties for anyone knowingly houses an illegal.

Last edited by All American NYC; 04-26-2012 at 01:23 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2012, 12:41 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,316,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nighttrain55 View Post
hispanics don't need to do anything, that is what you want them to do. Here is the reality, republicans through their words and actions have given the perception that they are against latinos. Whether or not they are truly against latinos is irrelevant, its the perception that they give to latinos.
And Hispanics shouldn't have to do any "less" than any other American group either but many think their ethnic group is special and therefore don't have to follow the concept of assimilation or honoring our immigration laws.

Oh stop with the Republican party BS. Perception? Just what have they done to alienate Latinos accept to want our immigration laws respected and enforced? Why does that alienate Latinos anyway? Oh, I guess my first paragraph explains that!

Last edited by chicagonut; 04-26-2012 at 01:01 PM..

Old 04-26-2012, 12:42 PM

9,240 posts, read 8,666,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
So Latinos shouldn't care because you're Italian and don't care about Italy?

That's pretty arrogant, don't cha think?

Why should they gauge their feelings about their people based on how you feel about your people?

It's not the illegal immigration issue that bothers Hispanic Americans so much, but the anti-Hispanic rhetoric that they hear from the right.
What is Hispanic rhetoric?

Old 04-26-2012, 12:44 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,644,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Who is "you"? Are you implying that most Americans hate Hispanic-Americans? Are you implying that most Americans lump them in with illegal aliens? You have proof of your assertions? By the way, it is the pro-illegal alien side that constantly blurs the lines between legal and illegal, not law abiding Americans.
When it comes to right-wing/Republican/Tea Party discourse, yes, that's exactly what's happening. Their demonizing of blacks (which we expect, so it has no impact beyond how they've already alienated an entire ethnic group) and now Hispanics (whose demonization is having an impact, because it's driving the few Latino Republicans away now) is part and parcel of their strategy. How idiotic.

Old 04-26-2012, 12:50 PM

9,963 posts, read 18,496,447 times
Answer: Empathy

Old 04-26-2012, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
When it comes to right-wing/Republican/Tea Party discourse, yes, that's exactly what's happening. Their demonizing of blacks (which we expect, so it has no impact beyond how they've already alienated an entire ethnic group) and now Hispanics (whose demonization is having an impact, because it's driving the few Latino Republicans away now) is part and parcel of their strategy. How idiotic.
Please provide proof of the Republicans/Tea Party demonizing blacks. What entire ethnic group have they alienated and how? What have they done to Hispanics? I'll be waiting.

Old 04-26-2012, 01:00 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,644,789 times
Quote:
Please provide proof of the Republicans/Tea Party demonizing blacks. What entire ethnic group have they alienated and how? What have they done to Hispanics? I'll be waiting.
It's too doggone obvious for me to provide "proof" to you.

Read this forum, read the news, watch TV. The demonization is everywhere.

Old 04-26-2012, 01:01 PM

9,963 posts, read 18,496,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
It's not the illegal immigration issue that bothers Hispanic Americans so much, but the anti-Hispanic rhetoric that they hear from the right.
Spot on, case and point:

//www.city-data.com/forum/polit...as-failed.html

Old 04-26-2012, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nighttrain55 View Post
Let me say this, if Romney continues to hold the same thought process that you do, he will lose the latino vote. If he loses the election because of feelings on immagration, that is a him problem. Instead of telling latinos how they should act, you should probably tell the republicans how they should act, assuming of course if they want to win the latino vote.
Just what thought process are you speaking of? Latinos will never vote Republican anyway. They typically vote Democrat. What is wrong with Romney's views on illegal immigration? Just how are Republicans supposed to act to appease your "special" group?

Old 04-26-2012, 01:08 PM

3,417 posts, read 3,072,513 times
Quote:
And Hispanics shouldn't have to do any "less" than any other American group either but many think their ethnic group is special and therefore don't have to follow the concept of assimilation or honoring our immigration laws.

Oh stop with the Republican party BS. Perception? Just what have they done to alienate Latinos accept to want our immigration laws respected and enforced? Why does that alienate Latinos anyway? Oh, I guess my first paragraph explains that!
I have no idea, i'm not a latino, but the republicans are struggling with the latino vote. The mistake you are making is thinking perception doesn't matter. You can tell me to stop with the republican party BS, but the numbers how romney is struggling with latinos. They have created a perception that they are against lations. You can say its BS, but the numbers say otherwise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies