Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-05-2012, 08:09 PM

2,490 posts, read 2,546,425 times

Advertisements

Was just wanting to see what other people's opinions were on this as to me partisan positions seem to be completely outdated. I believe the original purpose was supposed to be to give people the ability to pick a candidate based on what that party traditionally stands for, but for the past few years we've seen great differences within parties that make this completely uneffective as you really have to sit down and figure out what your candidates stand for (which really I don't see what's so hard about that anyway)

When I see people talking about politics today, the 'biggest' words I hear are 'conservative', 'liberal', 'democrat', and 'republican'. I also hear a lot of name calling, allegations, and generally kindergarden banter to follow that usually will at the end of the day end up with the name callers hugging up and acting all friendly until the next day. Is this really what we've reduced ourselves to?

I also feel like this partisan system actually supports radicals on one end of the spectrum or the other, as they need to appeal to their class of voters to narrow the field in that side of the election process. Rick Santorum and Michele Bachmann might have never even tried to run if we weren't in the current system, as the radicals wouldn't 'hold the key'.

Then, there's the biggest problem I see of all (yes, worse than the scenario that 'created' Rick Santorum)...straight ticket voters. We all know about them. They're the ones who feel comfortable with a certain party for some reason and don't even bother to figure out what any candidate says, they just vote for someone with an 'R' or 'D' behind their name. I talked to someone who I found who did this, and guess what they said when I asked them why they didn't vote for anyone else?

"Well there's only two parties to chose from anyway."

REALLY?! Well, I can certainly see why it would feel that way...if you're not one of the two big parties then you basically get no love, but that seems like a big problem to me too. While I feel you have to be ignorant not to realize there's more than the two parties, how can you completely blame the person when they get next to no coverage and when it comes to local elections you probably don't even have any who run besides republican or democrats...but that doesn't mean it couldn't happen!

I'd personally like to see the whole partisan system cut and just have everything be to a more moderate stand point. Whatever happened to that anyway? Not having to have extreme opinions on something or disagree with someone basically because of their party, but instead thinking for yourself and make an educated statement as to why something is right or wrong?

Anyway, enough with me complaining about why I dislike it so much, I want to know what opinions you have about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2012, 08:17 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,970,454 times
I agree with you on all points. One thing I'd add is that the real goal of political parties is to centralize power and control. The system is working as intended--to keep people divided. Each party is used to different people based on their emotional weaknesses. Then the elites get people with one set of emotional weaknesses to fight with the other. All the while, the elite centralizes power and control in fewer and fewer hands, using both parties to accomplish their goals.

Old 05-05-2012, 08:20 PM

14,023 posts, read 15,032,674 times
people seek similar minded people. so partisan politics will never end.

Old 05-05-2012, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
I agree with you on all points. One thing I'd add is that the real goal of political parties is to centralize power and control. The system is working as intended--to keep people divided. Each party is used to different people based on their emotional weaknesses. Then the elites get people with one set of emotional weaknesses to fight with the other. All the while, the elite centralizes power and control in fewer and fewer hands, using both parties to accomplish their goals.
You're absolutely correct...the system is doing exactly what it was designed to do.....

Old 05-05-2012, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
people seek similar minded people. so partisan politics will never end.
As I stated, they no longer really have like minded people in the races. Out of all the candidates I explored who fit into either the Republican or Democrat categories, none really fit with me more than maybe 60-65%...that's still a big fat F

Old 05-05-2012, 11:00 PM

994 posts, read 1,592,912 times
I agree 100%. The sheeple don't have a clue and that's why it's the same thing every day. Liberal this, right winger that.

Old 05-05-2012, 11:06 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,582,425 times
In American politics it's always been, "To the victor goes the spoils". If it was nonpartisan they would have to share and that is against everything they believe in.

Old 05-06-2012, 01:03 AM

Exactly...it's so easy for them to cast blame to 'right wing this' or 'left wing that' or whatever, yet usually these are the exact same people who couldn't fly a jet over their s**t.

Instead of having a system that seems purposely intended to send one side immediately fighting against the other (kindergarden politics) I feel it's only right we have something that encourages everyone to work together for everyone's own good. I'd also like to see politicans thinking about things from a balanced standpoint and not some far left/right propoganda.

I just don't believe you should make decisions on people's social lives or taxes or anything else based on "Well in the bible it says..." or "The liberals would have you believe..." or any of that bs. I mean seriously...burn a few brain cells if you have to...most of them haven't and won't serve in the military, financially worry for nothing, and are privy to far more knowledge and power than any of us could possibly get...the least they could do is learn what 'thinking' means.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies