Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2012, 09:35 PM

45,217 posts, read 26,427,822 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
ditto i get so tired of this stuff, that women children and men w/o firearms cant harm u. baloney. lots of soldiers were killed by shoe shine boys in vietnam and gangs of "kids" kicked people to death.
So under the same pretense, you are advocating for patting down kids and shoe shines on street corners?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2012, 03:28 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,926,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sturmgeist View Post
I do not understand why people are so up in arms about this, if we put children or anyone off limits to being searched then smuggling/bombing will be extremely easy to accomplish. Get over it or take Amtrak you crybabies
Yet another person that suffers from Ostrich Syndrome. They ARE at Amtrak stations! They are at Greyhound stations! Hell, they were at the Super Bowl in Lucas Oil Stadium. You're NOT getting away from them for long. They are expanding OUT of the airports and going everywhere. Pretending that the TSA only operates at airports doesn't mean they will stay there.

Old 04-28-2012, 05:45 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,739,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan
I guess there's one person in America glad to see the TSA expanded.
The TSA is a work-in-progress. The main problem is training. The people in charge who create the training programs for some stupid reason start from scratch. They take nothing into account from other countries who've been dealing with the issue of security much longer than the US. The US/TSA wants to recreate the wheel instead up updating it to fit into American society. What you fail to understand is that the training program gets diluted from the point it comes out and 100's are trained to train 1000's. Its the copy of a copy of as copy effect. I don't care who you work for, but no one in any organization or workplace does everything perfectly. So stop holding TSA employees to such a high pedestal.

If you've read any of my history, I fly through 100's of airports every year. Thus I get to see different TSAs in action (and how numerous other countries deal with security). Some do it right and some don't. I flew on the first day that planes were allowed back into the air after 9/11 into JFK and out of LGA. The only good thing about flying for that first week is that 10,000's of people cancelled their flights so airports in the US were pretty empty. Be security wise, it was a mess of not knowing what to do. There was no order to anything. Between walking into the airport and getting onto the plane my ID was checked at least a half a dozen times. My carry-on was scanned and then opened and basically strip searched. They found a mosaic keychain in thr front pocket of my case and within seconds I was pushed up against a wall and patted down and scanned. What was stupid was if they would've asked about it in the beginning, I would've pulled out the reciept for it showing that I just purchased it in the gift shop in the airport a half hour before. Since then I've learned how to fly and how to dress to fly and have not had another incident occur again. There are some basic rules to follow. Its not that difficult. But every week there is some stupid American who thinks he/she is above it all and should get a free pass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW
The TSA is just a side show. A FEEL good that actually provides little security.
Its true but so what. Most people wan't to feel safe when travelling. Most are not seasoned travellers. This is just one small part of security. Its the visual part that gives them the perception of safety. Its just the way Americans are. Many airports outside the US have men walking around the machine guns and thats their perception of safety. Then there are airports that have no visual security, but are known for their behind the wall security measures and feel safe.

The next attack will most likely not happen on an airliner. My best guess is that they will go after a bridge or tunnel that highly affects US infrastructure. Since most of the US population is on the east coast, I'd put my money on I81 & I95. These groups want to do things on a large scale. They are not going to do small scale stuff like Hamas that in reality only affect a small number of people and most fall back into their normal routines within hours. Even when Hamas blows up a bus, Israelis are riding that same bus line by the next day riding on the same road. Its all about perception and reality.

Old 05-26-2012, 04:28 PM

6,190 posts, read 7,970,743 times
Default How far should TSA go?

Does this 4-year-old girl look like terrorist? TSA says yes

Don't they send these people through training on how to deal with small children?
Seriously, they way they are made out to be talking is as if they were talking to/about an adult.
WTH

What would you have done?

Old 05-26-2012, 04:54 PM

22,574 posts, read 47,641,955 times
There are three sides to every story.... I'd like to know the other two.

Old 05-26-2012, 05:01 PM

Its a 4 year old little girl.
TSA handles more packages than UPS, i'd be afraid of them too.

Old 05-26-2012, 05:02 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,162,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
There are three sides to every story.... I'd like to know the other two.
Same here. I feel bad for the little girl, but the TSA have a very serious job to do.

Old 05-26-2012, 05:07 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,277,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
Does this 4-year-old girl look like terrorist? TSA says yes

Don't they send these people through training on how to deal with small children?
Seriously, they way they are made out to be talking is as if they were talking to/about an adult.
WTH

What would you have done?
Iraq Busts Baby Suicide Bombers - Security forces swoop on cell of al-Qaeda-groomed kids

People goofy enough would have no issue using their children to do such a thing.

Old 05-26-2012, 05:09 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,277,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
Its a 4 year old little girl.
TSA handles more packages than UPS, i'd be afraid of them too.
And if some uses that little girl to smuggle say a gun or explosives onto a plane then how would you feel? What most likely happened is the girl had to go through a back down along with grandmom, cried over it, and now mom is blowing the incident far out of proportion. What you want to bet that she has a lawyer in a few weeks?

Old 05-26-2012, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
Same here. I feel bad for the little girl, but the TSA have a very serious job to do.
Yeah but there is no need to make a child hysterical and talk to them as if t hey are an adult and KNOW what is going on.
That 4 year old has no idea about terrorist or suicide bombers or children used as weapons carry on bags.

They should have treated her like a 4 year old, talked to her calmly. Four year olds feed off of others emotions if you're not calm they won't be calm.

Yes they have rules and yes they have to enforce them on everyone but they had no compassion and didn't handle the 4 year old like a 4 year old.

"The suspect is not cooperating" OF COURSE NOT. She's 4 you, just screamed at her, scared her, took her away from her mom and told her to spread her arms and legs then yelled some more.

There comes a point in time if you're dealing with a 4 year old in such an aggressive manner that she's crying uncontrollably and shaking, then you should evaluate your approach.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies