Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-27-2012, 10:06 AM
 
41,813 posts, read 51,023,289 times
Reputation: 17864

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
What job creating bills did the GOP House pass that would create jobs?
The problem is you expect an answer with bills that fit into what you think would qualify as job creation, sorry I can't fulfill that request..... thankfully.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-27-2012, 10:08 AM
 
Location: Long Island, NY
19,792 posts, read 13,941,962 times
Reputation: 5661
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
This thread, right here, exemplifies the single largest difference between the left and the right. The left wants to see some 'jobs bill' or government having a hand in 'job creation'. The right contends that government is nothing more than an impediment to creating jobs. So, no, you won't see a "jobs bill" from Conservatives. Why? Because it's not the government's place to create jobs. If you point to a Republican sponsored "jobs bill", then that makes it easier to figure out which Republicans aren't actually conservative. I don't know why this is so hard to understand. Private sector is the key to job creation, not the government.
Except that the "conservative position" is economically illiterate.

Governments should respond to a severely depressed economy the way the textbooks say, by spending more to offset falling private demand. That's been a principle economic truth even when Republicans slept in the White House -- but it is rejected now by some 1) because it works, and they don't want Obama getting the credit; and 2) the ultra-right wing have embraced ideological doctrine instead of proven economics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-27-2012, 10:13 AM
 
12,436 posts, read 11,943,270 times
Reputation: 3159
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
This thread, right here, exemplifies the single largest difference between the left and the right. The left wants to see some 'jobs bill' or government having a hand in 'job creation'. The right contends that government is nothing more than an impediment to creating jobs. So, no, you won't see a "jobs bill" from Conservatives. Why? Because it's not the government's place to create jobs. If you point to a Republican sponsored "jobs bill", then that makes it easier to figure out which Republicans aren't actually conservative. I don't know why this is so hard to understand. Private sector is the key to job creation, not the government.
As Reagan has said "There you go again". By your logic there are no real conservative in Congress because almost every Republican has voted for these so called Jobs Bills authored by the Republicans.

In truth, they don't create jobs, but only water down environmental regulations. Do you know why they call them Jobs bills? Because Most Americans expect the govt. to help create Jobs. Politicians know this and they want to get reelected.

It would be nice if the Republicans would be honest and say they had no interest in the govt. helping to create jobs as you say that is the conservative stance. We would have a whole new congress in 2012.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-27-2012, 10:16 AM
 
Location: Area 51.5
13,887 posts, read 13,664,841 times
Reputation: 9174
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
private sector is the key to job creation, not the government.
+10000000000000000000000
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-27-2012, 10:18 AM
 
23,838 posts, read 23,113,952 times
Reputation: 9409
They've done nothing that Barack Obama would sign. That's because Barack Obama isn't interested in job creation. He's interested in getting re-elected, which means that everything that comes out of the House is automatically a campaign issue for him, whether it's good legislation or bad legislation.

Barack Obama thinks you're stupid. The fact is, most of his constituents actually are stupid.

PS....We don't want government creating jobs anyway. We want the government to get out of the way so that the free market can get back to creating and producing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-27-2012, 10:18 AM
 
Location: Meggett, SC
11,011 posts, read 11,018,321 times
Reputation: 6192
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
Except that the "conservative position" is economically illiterate.

Governments should respond to a severely depressed economy the way the textbooks say, by spending more to offset falling private demand. That's been a principle economic truth even when Republicans slept in the White House -- but it is rejected now by some 1) because it works, and they don't want Obama getting the credit; and 2) the ultra-right wing have embraced ideological doctrine instead of proven economics.
No, it's not an economic truth. It's actually a hotly debated topic and has been for some time. FDR, being the prime example of government injected dollars into the economy, has been both lauded and demonized for his handling of the Depression. There are an equal number of sources that say he prolonged the Depression as there are that say he helped it.

Like I said, this is one of the most fundamental differences between the left and the right. In my education, I've had Econ profs that advocated government intervention and those that are strongly against said intervention; all of my profs were quite well respected in the field and yet had completely different viewpoints. So, not an economic truth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-27-2012, 10:19 AM
 
9,855 posts, read 15,200,125 times
Reputation: 5481
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
Except that the "conservative position" is economically illiterate.

Governments should respond to a severely depressed economy the way the textbooks say, by spending more to offset falling private demand. That's been a principle economic truth even when Republicans slept in the White House -- but it is rejected now by some 1) because it works, and they don't want Obama getting the credit; and 2) the ultra-right wing have embraced ideological doctrine instead of proven economics.
Governments do not respond to help the economy as a whole, governments exist to shift surplus from producers to consumers, and do so at a net loss to the entire economic system. When a government responds to a free market economy, it reduces the burden on the consumer, but sacrifices net economic growth within the company (shown by the tax revenue box in this graph). So does government interaction help the consumer? Yes, for a time, if we want to enact a short term solution instead of a project which builds a system of long term growth. So I your government interaction does help the consumer, but only temporarily, and does so at a loss to the country's economic system as a whole. Great plan champ.



And you say conservatives are economically illiterate?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-27-2012, 10:24 AM
 
Location: Meggett, SC
11,011 posts, read 11,018,321 times
Reputation: 6192
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
As Reagan has said "There you go again". By your logic there are no real conservative in Congress because almost every Republican has voted for these so called Jobs Bills authored by the Republicans.

In truth, they don't create jobs, but only water down environmental regulations. Do you know why they call them Jobs bills? Because Most Americans expect the govt. to help create Jobs. Politicians know this and they want to get reelected.

It would be nice if the Republicans would be honest and say they had no interest in the govt. helping to create jobs as you say that is the conservative stance. We would have a whole new congress in 2012.
We've had plenty of years where Republicans in Congress acted anything but conservative. And, as a result, the GOP has seen many incumbents lose in primaries. Yes, there are plenty of Republicans that have voiced that the government is not the source of job creation; this is a function best served by the private sector.

Most Americans want one of two things: government to create jobs or government to get out of the way. The result? The two party system. Sometime the pendulum swings to the left and other times to the right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-27-2012, 10:25 AM
 
29,981 posts, read 42,917,108 times
Reputation: 12828
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
Lowered taxes on businesses.

No brainer.

That said, it's not the government's job to create jobs. The government can create a business-friendly environment, which Repubs have done, but it's not their job to 'create' jobs.

Always remember that when you complain about businesses who you claim pay 'less' tax than you. How many jobs have you created?
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
They've done nothing that Barack Obama would sign. That's because Barack Obama isn't interested in job creation. He's interested in getting re-elected, which means that everything that comes out of the House is automatically a campaign issue for him, whether it's good legislation or bad legislation.

Barack Obama thinks you're stupid. The fact is, most of his constituents actually are stupid.

PS....We don't want government creating jobs anyway. We want the government to get out of the way so that the free market can get back to creating and producing.
Oh snap!

Last edited by lifelongMOgal; 04-27-2012 at 10:44 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-27-2012, 10:30 AM
 
Location: Illinois Delta
5,767 posts, read 5,013,154 times
Reputation: 2063
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
This thread, right here, exemplifies the single largest difference between the left and the right. The left wants to see some 'jobs bill' or government having a hand in 'job creation'. The right contends that government is nothing more than an impediment to creating jobs. So, no, you won't see a "jobs bill" from Conservatives. Why? Because it's not the government's place to create jobs. If you point to a Republican sponsored "jobs bill", then that makes it easier to figure out which Republicans aren't actually conservative. I don't know why this is so hard to understand. Private sector is the key to job creation, not the government.
Unfortunately, the private sector has chosen to take its jobs to countries where they can pay little and operate without offering any benefits; that doesn't help their fellow Americans in any way. The government exists for the common good of the population..."of the people, by the people and for
the people." If the private sector refuses to create jobs, who exactly should do so, if not the government?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:59 PM.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top