Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-27-2012, 12:17 PM
 
Location: Tampa Florida
22,229 posts, read 17,847,737 times
Reputation: 4585

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
Actually read the thread before posting champ.
So, I guess that is a no, huh?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-27-2012, 12:19 PM
 
Location: The Land of Reason
13,221 posts, read 12,314,576 times
Reputation: 3554
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
Why do you think it is the government's role to create jobs? Republicans have fought for lower taxes which frees investment and R&D money which leads to economic growth, which then leads to sustainable jobs. So let me ask you this: what would you rather see, forced, temporary jobs through a government sponsored bill, or a healthy economic environment in which people can create their own jobs?

And as a side note, can you name a single bill proposed that 'takes away women's rights'?
Can you say "voodoo economics?" How about the "trickle down theory?" None of that crap worked before and it still does not work so why continue it?

All of this crap about the "job creators" is a big lie, if it was'nt why did they change the name from just being wealthy?

As far as women's rights, how about the right for them to choose what they can do with their bodies? How about the usage of contraceptives and how they are paid for? Don't you think that it is odd that a group of white males can make decisions about what all (mainly poorand middle class) women can and cannot do in regards to their health?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-27-2012, 12:29 PM
 
Location: Long Island, NY
19,792 posts, read 13,941,962 times
Reputation: 5661
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq
Why do you think it is the government's role to create jobs? Republicans have fought for lower taxes which frees investment and R&D money which leads to economic growth, which then leads to sustainable jobs.
Ok, we just had a 10 year period of the lowest taxes in 80 years and the slowest economic growth in generations.

In other words, what you said makes a great talking point that isn't supported by facts and evidence.

From Ezra Klein:

Quote:
Tax rates and job creation in one graph

In theory, the GOP is so committed to resisting tax hikes because it’s so committed to creating jobs. “The fact is you can’t tax the very people that we expect to invest in the economy and create jobs,” says Speaker John Boehner. But Michael Linden’s chart comparing average annual job creation at different marginal tax rates begs to differ:

On Jobs:



In eight years, Bush's gains were 5 million, or an average of 52,000 per month. The number of job gains needed to handle increases in population is 150,000 per month (citation). Clinton, who raised taxes, in 8-years added 22 million jobs. Apart from a stellar performance, Bush's job performance was dismal. Thus, the theory, such as it is, that lower taxes spur job creation sure isn't confirmed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-27-2012, 12:30 PM
 
Location: The Land of Reason
13,221 posts, read 12,314,576 times
Reputation: 3554
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
They've done nothing that Barack Obama would sign. That's because Barack Obama isn't interested in job creation. He's interested in getting re-elected, which means that everything that comes out of the House is automatically a campaign issue for him, whether it's good legislation or bad legislation.

Barack Obama thinks you're stupid. The fact is, most of his constituents actually are stupid.

PS....We don't want government creating jobs anyway. We want the government to get out of the way so that the free market can get back to creating and producing.

I think that you have it backwards, how can someone who is making six figures and tells you that there needs to be cuts to welfare, medicare and social security with a straight face. They are playing to this country's lowest factions, the uneducated, religious extremists, the racists but most of all the stupid. Their goal from the begining was to get rid of the current president regardless of the consequences, even if it meant screwing over the country.

The republicans will continue to remove barriors for clean air and water so that big business can make more money. The republicans will continue to send manufactoring jobs overseas for cheaper labor. The republicans will not let our children have affordable education. The republicans will continue to keep "dumbing down" the populace so that we will obey whoever has the most money to flood the airwaves with rhetoric hate and division among the people. Free market has nothing to do with it....just the consistant greed of the republican puppet masters
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-27-2012, 12:35 PM
 
Location: The Land of Reason
13,221 posts, read 12,314,576 times
Reputation: 3554
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
Hyperbole is never a strong argument. Infrastructure is something both parties support and yet, there are differences in both how to get it done as well as how to pay for it. I find that if you want to argue the merits of a posiiton, do so, but resorting to simplistic name calling is neither effective nor convincing.

It isn't? Could you tell that to the republican backed teaparty? Does this include the unheard of disrespect and lies aimed at the president as well?

Why is that when someone says anything that a republican or their ilk does not like they expect an immediate retraction, but when the shoe is on the other foot.........<crickets chirping>
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-27-2012, 12:47 PM
 
9,855 posts, read 15,200,125 times
Reputation: 5481
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
So, I guess that is a no, huh?
...no...it is me saying that question was answered, and you obviously didn't read the thread or you wouldn't have asked the question...


Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
Can you say "voodoo economics?" How about the "trickle down theory?" None of that crap worked before and it still does not work so why continue it?

All of this crap about the "job creators" is a big lie, if it was'nt why did they change the name from just being wealthy?

As far as women's rights, how about the right for them to choose what they can do with their bodies? How about the usage of contraceptives and how they are paid for? Don't you think that it is odd that a group of white males can make decisions about what all (mainly poorand middle class) women can and cannot do in regards to their health?
How many people do corporations employ in this country? Are you seriously claiming that they are not job creators?

I am still not sure what you are talking about with women's rights. Please be a little more specific as to what bills are currently in the pipeline that restrict women's rights.


Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
Ok, we just had a 10 year period of the lowest taxes in 80 years and the slowest economic growth in generations.

In other words, what you said makes a great talking point that isn't supported by facts and evidence.

From Ezra Klein:



On Jobs:



In eight years, Bush's gains were 5 million, or an average of 52,000 per month. The number of job gains needed to handle increases in population is 150,000 per month (citation). Clinton, who raised taxes, in 8-years added 22 million jobs. Apart from a stellar performance, Bush's job performance was dismal. Thus, the theory, such as it is, that lower taxes spur job creation sure isn't confirmed.

So you think major changes in the economic climate of a country happens immediately? Lowering taxes today creates environments which come to fruition years later, not immediately.

Claiming that lowered taxes caused slow economic growth simply because they happened at the same time is the same as saying a polar bear must be all black because it's nose is.


Can you actually address the points I made on economic deadweight loss? Your entire post was a very nice side-step.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-27-2012, 12:49 PM
 
Location: Southcentral Kansas
44,882 posts, read 33,253,825 times
Reputation: 4269
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
In 400+ Days The House GOP Has Voted To Kill 1.9 Million Jobs And Created 0

The GOP has passed legislation since they have taken control of the House, just none that has anything to do with job creation.

-Voted to repeal health care reform

-passed a bill to undermine our ability to provide a healthier environment for our children,

-Voted to protect taxpayer subsidies for Big Oil and speculators

-Voted to provide more tax cuts for millionaires, and protect tax breaks for corporations shipping jobs overseas

-Voted to cripple public radio stations

-Voted to cut off key federal funding for Planned Parenthood

-restricted how women with private insurance can spend private dollars in purchasing health insurance


In 200+ Days The House GOP Has Voted To Kill 1.9 Million Jobs And Created 0 (http://www.politicususa.com/in-200-days-the-house-gop-has-voted-to-kill-1-9-million-jobs-and-created-0/ - broken link)


Where are the jobs???
How many jobs bills from the House are sitting on Harry Reid's table under what is called tabled having never been debated or anything in the Senate?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-27-2012, 12:53 PM
 
Location: Southcentral Kansas
44,882 posts, read 33,253,825 times
Reputation: 4269
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Specifically, what taxes did Obama raise?
I don't know which ones he wanted to raise but I am sure that the Constitution says that that kind of thing has to be done by the Congress in conjunction with the President. Obama hasn't changed that rule with an Executive Order that I didn't know about, has he?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-27-2012, 12:55 PM
 
Location: Tampa Florida
22,229 posts, read 17,847,737 times
Reputation: 4585
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
How many jobs bills from the House are sitting on Harry Reid's table under what is called tabled having never been debated or anything in the Senate?
How many? That would be zero. They have all been given the attention they deserved.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-27-2012, 12:55 PM
 
Location: Southcentral Kansas
44,882 posts, read 33,253,825 times
Reputation: 4269
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
What job creating bills did the GOP House pass that would create jobs?

And don't list bills that take away women's rights or allow environmental pollution under the guise of "job creation!"
You really don't understand that Congress can't create jobs, do you? Our government could happen with great simplicity if people like you could understand what our, still in effect, Constitution calls for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:43 PM.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top