U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2012, 11:56 AM

8,738 posts, read 6,124,150 times

Advertisements

The NYC Department Education is banning words being used on citywide tests found to be "offensive" so as not to offend the feelings of students and causes a "distraction" (from taking the exam?). Start removing words and then it progresses to entire subject matters.

Offensive words include:

Dinosaur (for those who don't believe in evolution)
Halloween (Paganism)
Birthday (Jehovah Witness's don't celebrate "birthdays")
Dancing (unless it pertains to ballet)
Computers (Might hurt the feelings of those students who don't have a computer at home - economic hurt)
Slavery (errr, that's a very important part of US history!!!)
Terrorism

What's next? Christmas - stop publicly displaying anything that relates to Christmas? Jewish holidays - stop Jews from displaying a Menorah in the window? Black curtains - so that we can cover our windows for fear that someone will walk by and see a Christmas tree or a birthday party taking place and it offends them? Remove anything that is religiously symbolic on a house of worship because another religion finds it offensive?

This country is getting ridiculous catering to peoples "sensitivities".

NYC Department of Education Bans Words Deemed "Offensive" - YouTube

What ever happened to live and let live?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2012, 12:07 PM

5,463 posts, read 5,703,550 times
Those damn Liberals.

Old 04-27-2012, 12:13 PM

3,064 posts, read 2,370,334 times
This one is so ridiculous, it belongs on SNL or in the Onion.

Old 04-27-2012, 12:15 PM

3,493 posts, read 2,597,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaimuki View Post
Those damn Liberals.
Yeah the liberals who notoriously don't believe in evolution, birthdays, Halloween or computers.

Old 04-27-2012, 12:19 PM

29,986 posts, read 39,274,485 times
Why doesn't the NYC Dept. of Ed. ban the use of the word "education" as obviously, through their newly instituted policy, they do not want students to actually know what they are missing.

Old 04-27-2012, 12:22 PM

9,396 posts, read 14,378,644 times
They actually dropped their plans. It was still an idiotic idea and I wonder how any of these mongs are qualified to run education if they seriously think words like "evolution" and "divorce" are hurtful.

New York City Department Of Education Decides To Drop 'Forbidden' Words List For Assessment Tests « CBS New York

Old 04-27-2012, 12:26 PM

13,799 posts, read 23,282,958 times
Censorship sucks. As parents we need to rely on ourselves to provide our children with what they need in life. As has always been the case.

Old 04-27-2012, 12:26 PM

8,738 posts, read 6,124,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
They actually dropped their plans. It was still an idiotic idea and I wonder how any of these mongs are qualified to run education if they seriously think words like "evolution" and "divorce" are hurtful.

New York City Department Of Education Decides To Drop 'Forbidden' Words List For Assessment Tests « CBS New York
So some how they were convinced as to how foolish that plan was?

Old 04-27-2012, 01:01 PM

2,850 posts, read 2,622,851 times
PC is out of control. My kids cant sit Indian style anymore, its called pretzel or criss cross???something stupid like that. Cant invite a couple kids from class to a birthday party because it may hurt the other that werent invited, so now you have to invite the whole class??? give me a break.

Speaking of PC...Afican American..how many blacks do you know moved here from Africa? My family moved here from Lithuania at the turn of the century....im not a Lithuanian American, im white.

You cant say anything these days because everyone takes offense, lighten up a little and get over it.

Old 04-27-2012, 01:23 PM

3,418 posts, read 2,749,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangman66 View Post
PC is out of control. My kids cant sit Indian style anymore, its called pretzel or criss cross???something stupid like that. Cant invite a couple kids from class to a birthday party because it may hurt the other that werent invited, so now you have to invite the whole class??? give me a break.

Speaking of PC...Afican American..how many blacks do you know moved here from Africa? My family moved here from Lithuania at the turn of the century....im not a Lithuanian American, im white.

You cant say anything these days because everyone takes offense, lighten up a little and get over it.
I know it must suck for you these days, you can't insult anybody anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or