Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2012, 01:43 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,350,315 times

Advertisements

if a person goes around giving speeches on anti bullying they shouldn't insult people because of their religion or use bully tactics when they are peacefully walking out. Se how that works. It makes him a Hypocrite.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2012, 01:56 PM

3,378 posts, read 3,707,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
How is it an absolute choice? Do you know the meaning of "choice"? Sexual orientation refers to attraction, not behavior. A bisexual made no choice in being attracted to both sexes. The only difference in their case, is they can choose whom to have a relationship with, since they have potentially double the available partners.

Transgender is not an orientation, btw. Gender Identity and Orientation are not the same.

Gays have no choice in who they are attracted to.
Fiyero: If your last statement is true then what about the bisexuals and transgenders? You say that bisexuals are attracted to both sexes. Isn't that convenient So a bisexual man gets married to a woman and then leaves her for another man? This sounds like an excuse to have sex with anybody you want. How about people take responsibility for their own actions and behaviors and stop hiding behind some privileged group. If we all thought like that there would never be any white basketball players, black golfers, women military leaders, etc. We all (99.9% of us ) have a choice in how we conduct our lives.

Old 04-29-2012, 02:03 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,099,924 times
First, I find it ironic that supposed young journalists would walk out on a newsworthy event. You think they'd stick around to get all the details so they could report them. Perhaps Savage did a service in weeding out those not suited for the profession.

Second, this was a conference titled "Journalism On The Edge." Moreover, this particular speech was billed as a forum "to honestly discuss 'taboo' topics." You'd think attendees would expect an element of edginess and being put outside their comfort zone, wouldn't you? (which makes me wonder if perhaps this walkout was staged by a group of anti-gay Christian activists).

Third, I'm glad he said what he said. If you're going to talk about the bullying and mistreatment of gay people in this country, how can you not address the root of that bullying - conservative, religious-borne hatred.

Last edited by hammertime33; 04-29-2012 at 02:12 PM..

Old 04-29-2012, 02:24 PM

3,378 posts, read 3,707,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
First, I find it ironic that supposed young journalists would walk out on a newsworthy event. You think they'd stick around to get all the details so they could report them. Perhaps Savage did a service in weeding out those not suited for the profession.

Second, this was a conference titled "Journalism On The Edge." Moreover, this particular speech was billed as a forum "to honestly discuss 'taboo' topics." You'd think attendees would expect an element of edginess and being put outside their comfort zone, wouldn't you? (which makes me wonder if perhaps this walkout was staged by a group of anti-gay Christian activists).

Third, I'm glad he said what he said. If you're going to talk about the bullying and mistreatment of gay people in this country, how can you not address the root of that bullying - conservative, religious-borne hatred.
so it's ok for certain people (i.e. gays) to bully others (i.e. Christians) because they are a special protected class? Look, I am all for free speech, and Savage is going to say whatever he wants. But, lets not pretend to hide behind a cover of (poor gay victims) while you continue to provoke, criticize, and bash Christians. It is like the little guy who tries out for football, takes his shots and then wants others (coaches, refs, parents, etc.) to save him when the big tough guys pound him into the ground. Freedom of speech is for Christians too! Our society is tired of hearing about everyone's problems. We all have problems... thats life, deal with it

Old 04-29-2012, 02:34 PM

3,064 posts, read 2,638,497 times
Quote:

From the convention website, it says that Savage will speak "about alternative media, social media and creating a movement against bullying." It goes on to add, "...he creates a safe space for all audiences to honestly discuss 'taboo' topics."

DAN SAVAGE KEYNOTE | Journalism on the Edge

Obviously, this was not a "discussion" and it certainly didn't qualify as a "safe space."

These minors should not have to endure the bullyish behavior displayed by this adult. They were correct to walk out, which they did so peacefully. These children were shining examples of respectful behavior. Can't say the same about the speaker, who I wouldn't want coming near school kids again. We need a public apology and assurance that this individual will not be part of any national anti-bullying program. His tactics are abusive. Thats my opinion.

Old 04-29-2012, 02:40 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,562,129 times
Quote:

Great post!

Last edited by CaseyB; 04-29-2012 at 04:36 PM.. Reason: no personal references

Old 04-29-2012, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guamanians View Post
so it's ok for certain people (i.e. gays) to bully others (i.e. Christians) because they are a special protected class? Look, I am all for free speech, and Savage is going to say whatever he wants. But, lets not pretend to hide behind a cover of (poor gay victims) while you continue to provoke, criticize, and bash Christians. It is like the little guy who tries out for football, takes his shots and then wants others (coaches, refs, parents, etc.) to save him when the big tough guys pound him into the ground. Freedom of speech is for Christians too! Our society is tired of hearing about everyone's problems. We all have problems... thats life, deal with it
Oh please. I don't see how people electing to go see a controversial speaker at a privately held convention and then being offended is equatable to bullying.

I'm a gay atheist. If I choose to attend a Christian sermon or Muslim khuṭbah, am offended by and anti-atheist or anti-gay message, perhaps choose to verbalize my disagreement with the pastor or khatib and am branded as a sinner (or much worse), and the leave, was I just "bullied"?

Old 04-29-2012, 02:55 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,350,315 times
Quote:
Oh please. I don't see how people electing to go see a controversial speaker at a privately held convention and then being offended is equatable to bullying.
Savage was supposed to be delivering a speech about anti-bullying at the National High School Journalism Conference, High school students, first off why did he need to start cussing? Then when some kids had enough and went to leave why did he need to call them names? Isn't that bullying? Yes it is. I thought you were against bullying, I guess I was wrong but I'm right about this guy being a total Hypocrite.

Old 04-29-2012, 03:03 PM

3,064 posts, read 2,638,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
Staying on topic I don't how this guy is anything more than a Hypocrite, surely nobody thinks otherwise.
You are correct.

And thanks for helping get this back on topic.

Old 04-29-2012, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
Savage was supposed to be delivering a speech about anti-bullying at the National High School Journalism Conference, High school students, first off why did he need to start cussing? Then when some kids had enough and went to leave why did he need to call them names? Isn't that bullying? Yes it is. I thought you were against bullying, I guess I was wrong but I'm right about this guy being a total Hypocrite.
No.

Bullying is taking advantage of an imbalance in power to habitually use abusive, often physical, force to affect and coerce others. This incident isn't even close to bullying.

There was no imbalance of power: These students freely chose to attend this conference, they then freely chose to attend this particular speech, they had the power to challenge and speak out against Savage, and they were not a captive audience and could leave at any time. There was no habitual element to this whatsoever. There was no force used or attempt to coerce by Savage - he was arguing (admittedly crassly) in an attempt to persuade.

A crassly delivered message you, and many in attendance, disagree with - yes
Bullying - no
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies