Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2012, 08:21 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,556,847 times

Advertisements

On "Bull****" and "Pansy-Assed" | Slog

Quote:
I didn't call anyone's religion bulls***. I did say that there is bulls***—"untrue words or ideas"—in the Bible. That is being spun as an attack on Christianity. Which is bullshhh… which is untrue. I was not attacking the faith in which I was raised. I was attacking the argument that gay people must be discriminated against—and anti-bullying programs that address anti-gay bullying should be blocked (or exceptions should be made for bullying "motivated by faith")—because it says right there in the Bible that being gay is wrong. Yet the same people who make that claim choose to ignore what the Bible has to say about a great deal else. I did not attack Christianity. I attacked hypocrisy. My remarks can only be read as an attack on all Christians if you believe that all Christians are hypocrites. Which I don't believe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2012, 08:24 AM

14,917 posts, read 13,095,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctrain View Post
No they weren't. One was looking down with a slightly nervous looking laugh. One girl looked like she was wiping a tear from her eye. They all left quietly and without disruption. Anyhow, there is nothing to suggest this was a "staged" walk-out.
It still seems very strange to me that aspiring young journalists would walk-out on such an apparently newsworthy event. You'd think they'd stick around to record and then report the details. It seems to me Savage did a great service by helping to weed out those not suited for the profession.

Old 04-30-2012, 08:30 AM

17,400 posts, read 11,967,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Budke View Post
It's a shame that his use of "pansy-assed" may mean the rest of his incisive commentary gets overlooked. Such is Savage's style. And as someone who has assuredly been called a "pansy" or worse in his lifetime, I grant Dan Savage more leeway to use such inflammatory langauge than those of us who have never suffered such Biblically-justified bigotry.

Are you people claiming there aren't portions of the Bible that should be considered BS by modern standards?

Can we just edit this video to end a few seconds earlier and pay close attention ot the VITAL POINTS HE'S MAKING!? Would that be all that different than those religiously minded who wish to excise the uncomfortable parts of the Bible(as he mentions, on such topics like slavery and menstruation) while claiming there are valid moral teachings in and amongst the offensive stuff?
Oh, so having been bullied at some point in your life gives you free reign to bully others? Liberal logic, at its best. I was bullied as a teen by a group of black boys for months. Does that mean I can go into a predominately black school, and start to spew anti-black speech? Would I get a "pass" because I'd had my share of bullying levied at me? Doubtful.

I thought this was an ANTI-bullying talk. That means ALL bullying.

The vital point he's making is that bullying is wrong, unless it's against Christians. Then you can bully all you want.

Old 04-30-2012, 09:08 AM

11,466 posts, read 19,345,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymax View Post
So are you saying Jesus was a bully?

Matthew 23
Did I say that?

Old 04-30-2012, 09:12 AM

11,466 posts, read 19,345,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
No, it's not in the eye of the beholder. Again, bullying is taking advantage of an imbalance in power to habitually use abusive, often physical, force to affect and coerce others. This incident has none of those characteristics.

Repeated, harassing, incessant name calling can be a form of abusive force employed in bullying. In this instance - it's not even remotely close.

You're a pansy Roaddog. Did I just "bully" you?
No I don't play the victim, I can stand up for myself.

Your a wuss did I just Bully you?

Old 04-30-2012, 09:14 AM

2,083 posts, read 1,620,018 times
Wow, page after page of Liberals here trying to justify Savage's bigoted anti-Christian speech. It never fails to surprise me when progressives approve of hate speech they agree with.

He was directly bullying the offended who got up and left, calling them "pansy *ss". The anti-bullying speaker was himself a bully! How in any way is this OK? Savage has a long history of anti-Christian bigotry, so why was he chosen to be a leader of a national anti-bullying campaign when he himself has the attitude of a bully?

Old 04-30-2012, 09:18 AM

6,486 posts, read 6,384,866 times
What's missing in this whole "Was he being a bully?" debate is the question of his intent. It's a crucial element that must not be ignored. Is a kid who pushes another kid backwards in the hallway being a bully? Depends on why he did it, doesn't it? Same here. Calling this speaker a "bully" is assuming that he was doing it just to be mean. I see it differently. I see a point of view that has been bullying homosexuals for centuries now, and a person who is pushing back against that point of view.

Old 04-30-2012, 09:39 AM

15,706 posts, read 11,767,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vejadu View Post
Wow, page after page of Liberals here trying to justify Savage's bigoted anti-Christian speech. It never fails to surprise me when progressives approve of hate speech they agree with.
Criticizing "Christian" hypocrisy, is not an anti-Christian speech. Aren't you people tired of your faux persecution complex yet? It's pretty pathetic.

Quote:
He was directly bullying the offended who got up and left, calling them "pansy *ss". The anti-bullying speaker was himself a bully! How in any way is this OK? Savage has a long history of anti-Christian bigotry, so why was he chosen to be a leader of a national anti-bullying campaign when he himself has the attitude of a bully?
As Jaymax has pointed out, by your logic, Jesus was a bully against some of the Pharisees since he called them vipers and hypocrites.

Old 04-30-2012, 09:43 AM

16,545 posts, read 13,447,180 times
Liberals and hypocrisy... Two peas in a pod!

Old 04-30-2012, 10:00 AM

33,547 posts, read 18,143,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
So is judging other people in His name, but that doesn't seem to bother you...

Furthermore, don't you know sins & Biblical laws aren't to be imposed on the non-believers? I wonder what they taught you in Sunday School, because it sure is different from what I learned!
The laws of God pertain to every person on earth. God created all and he will judge all, and every knee shall bow and every tongue confess , Jesus is Lord.

We are all sinners. Jesus loves you and will be your savior and Lord if you ask him. I do not judge you. We were all born in condemnation and Jesus came to seek and save all of us from that condemnation. His love is greater than any sin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies