Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2012, 02:45 AM

9,827 posts, read 6,932,912 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sman View Post
A healthy economy with plentiful jobs that have decent pay with just a high school diploma. For me, all I want is a job that would provide enough pay to comfortably support a wife and 4 children. But no, we all have to go to college, waste money and build thousands in debt in order to do so.
I make over 100k with only a high school diploma. Anyone can... You just have to be willing to make sacrifices. If you're not willing to, then go get your indoctrination from a university. It will make you enough to do what you say want to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2012, 02:49 AM

14,076 posts, read 20,521,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
I make over 100k with only a high school diploma. Anyone can... You just have to be willing to make sacrifices. If you're not willing to, then go get your indoctrination from a university. It will make you enough to do what you say want to do.

Is that 100K yourself, or family income? And, if I may ask, what do you do for a living?

Old 04-30-2012, 02:52 AM

327 posts, read 644,261 times
As a person of college age(23) my main goals are

being able to attend school without ending up under a crushing amount of student loan debt.

At least getting a job in the field I studied. Entry level is fine as long as I am able to work my way up. I don't expect a six figure salary right out of college.

Reasonably affordable health care

Not have the government spy on me and restrict my liberties under some vague form of "national security."

Old 04-30-2012, 02:53 AM

327 posts, read 644,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
Is that 100K yourself, or family income? And, if I may ask, what do you do for a living?
I make over 100k a year with a highschool diploma and one year of college.

But I had to go to a f****** war zone to do it.

Old 04-30-2012, 03:40 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,033,564 times
As a Millennial in his late 20s, my priorities is to find a better paying job and move out of NYC. Also find a suitable girlfriend to be wife and try to settle down and start a family but due to the economy I had to hold out on those wants and try to improve my situation first . I also noticed with my generation we seem to be more intuned with technology spending countless hours on sites like this or tweeting or facebooking kindling and texting. The big problem with my generation is that they are in to too much technology and believe in information from the internet over fellow peers that's around them. What I also noticed about my generation they tend to be more into capatlist brands than anything else. If you visited occupy wall street last year the most noticeable brand was either Nike, starbucks or apple logos from iphones and macbooks. Last my generation seems to be more urban or wants some sort of Urban lifestyle and reject suburban comforts of pervious generations like the baby boomers. So far my generation don't know what's important to them as of yet until they can eliminate the countless dollars of debt they owe for attending college for earning a worthless piece of paper that has not brought them any prosperity at the moment. Thank goodness I don't owe any debt and spend credit wisely, and invest in some sort of stock. Last thankfully I don't own any more apple crap, out here in NYC to many young people are getting shot, robbed, burglarized for idevices.

Old 04-30-2012, 05:05 AM

3,457 posts, read 3,621,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
I noticed that they were very much in favor of all that free health care. Maybe they really are the Gimme generation.
.. so says the old guy on Medicare...

Old 04-30-2012, 06:55 AM

3,378 posts, read 3,705,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
Having a daughter that's just about college age, there's one overriding theme that the young seem to have in common. They feel this sense that all injustice should be righted, or what they deem to be injustice. Of course, as you mature, you realize that some things should just take their natural course, that some people really do bring about their own bad luck, and that some things are truly worth fighting for. I think as youth change over from the child's point of view of the world into one of an adult, they change their priorities and political views.

Does this survey surprise me at all? Nope. It lends right into the issues of the day as to what they deem injustice. Taxes, family, mortgages, and careers will have an impact on their views as they mature. What would really interest me is if they surveyed these exact same people 20 years from now!
great post What did Winston Churchill say? (I don't want to misquote him)
The point is that young people have a different idea of the world because they have less life experience than older people. The problem that we have now is that the majority of colleges are abusing their authority and preying on these young people. Liberalism seems so much more sexy and exciting when you're 20 than it is in real life. I think the older liberals are either stuck in a time warp, or brainwashed to the point that they can not change their thinking.

Old 04-30-2012, 07:14 AM

11,011 posts, read 11,018,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guamanians View Post
great post What did Winston Churchill say? (I don't want to misquote him)
The point is that young people have a different idea of the world because they have less life experience than older people. The problem that we have now is that the majority of colleges are abusing their authority and preying on these young people. Liberalism seems so much more sexy and exciting when you're 20 than it is in real life. I think the older liberals are either stuck in a time warp, or brainwashed to the point that they can not change their thinking.
In my personal opinion, older Liberals seem to be the true believer types (e.g. staunch environmentalists, feminists, etc), voters conditioned from environment (e.g. family has always voted D), dreamers (i.e. people looking for a 'utiopia'), people looking to have gov't solve life's problems for them, and those that favor more European style government. That is, of course, not a comprehensive list but does cover some major groups.

Old 04-30-2012, 07:16 AM

14,076 posts, read 20,521,713 times
Good grief. Could y'all stereotype any more?

Old 04-30-2012, 07:25 AM

11,011 posts, read 11,018,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
Good grief. Could y'all stereotype any more?
It was a generalization and as I said, not comprehensive. I know it's not exactly on topic but what's your opinion on why so many start off liberal in their youth and then move over to the conservative side as they mature?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies