Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2012, 11:31 AM

7,237 posts, read 12,754,141 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sman View Post
A healthy economy with plentiful jobs that have decent pay with just a high school diploma. For me, all I want is a job that would provide enough pay to comfortably support a wife and 4 children. But no, we all have to go to college, waste money and build thousands in debt in order to do so.
Sorry, business owners are entitled to make obscene profits while paying overqualified workers peanuts to perform the duties of 5 people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2012, 11:33 AM

14,076 posts, read 20,550,814 times
Not surprisingly, a good many in this thread prefer to hang on to their stereotypes about young people or discount what they think. I say not surprisingly because that's the typical response to adult politicians here too.

Nobody seems to want to leave their own little comfort zone and consider new ideas or, God forbid, that they may actually be wrong.

No wonder our country is in such a mess.

Old 04-28-2012, 11:40 AM

4,320 posts, read 4,794,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sman View Post
A healthy economy with plentiful jobs that have decent pay with just a high school diploma. For me, all I want is a job that would provide enough pay to comfortably support a wife and 4 children. But no, we all have to go to college, waste money and build thousands in debt in order to do so.
I have only a high school education; I never ever amased thousands of dollars of debt when I was young. I went directly from high school into a Union and worked every day for 32 years in the IBEW. I made outrageous wages only because I was being prepared for that last day of school to beginning work full time.

You should have gone into any of the high paying construction jobs in an apprenticeship. 1973 I was making 2k per week as an electrician (w/overtime).

But 90'sman seems to be totally clueless on how to obtain a high paying job with just a high school diploma. My father started to train me.. Every weekend; when I was in the 3rd grade! Every summer or school vacation I was working on a construction job in some manner!

I raised more than 4 children - and we lived an extremely comfortable lifestyle with no debt(s). My 4 sons are all self employed; they work @ home and they make 10 times what I used to make working for someone else!

Old 04-28-2012, 11:49 AM

14,076 posts, read 20,550,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SityData View Post
I have only a high school education; I never ever amased thousands of dollars of debt when I was young. I went directly from high school into a Union and worked every day for 32 years in the IBEW. I made outrageous wages only because I was being prepared for that last day of school to beginning work full time.

You should have gone into any of the high paying construction jobs in an apprenticeship. 1973 I was making 2k per week as an electrician (w/overtime).

But 90'sman seems to be totally clueless on how to obtain a high paying job with just a high school diploma. My father started to train me.. Every weekend; when I was in the 3rd grade! Every summer or school vacation I was working on a construction job in some manner!

I raised more than 4 children - and we lived an extremely comfortable lifestyle with no debt(s). My 4 sons are all self employed; they work @ home and they make 10 times what I used to make working for someone else!

If young people go into the building trades today, they'll find the unions gone or seriously weakened (thank you GOP for THAT) and the jobs filled by immigrants, legal or otherwise.

The world you and I came of age in doesn't exist any more and neither do the opportunities. 30 years of globalism has seen to that.

Old 04-28-2012, 11:51 AM

7,237 posts, read 12,754,141 times
Quote:
1973, eh?

Hmmm, where should I st...

Oh never mind.

Old 04-28-2012, 11:52 AM

29,939 posts, read 39,502,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
Not surprisingly, a good many in this thread prefer to hang on to their stereotypes about young people or discount what they think. I say not surprisingly because that's the typical response to adult politicians here too.

Nobody seems to want to leave their own little comfort zone and consider new ideas or, God forbid, that they may actually be wrong.

No wonder our country is in such a mess.
Our country isn't in a mess because people have preconceived notions.

Our country is in a mess because people don't understand the difference between states, nations, nation states and countries.

Our country is in a mess because some of the most basic history of this nation has be rewritten with a horrible slant towards naivety, lies and lies by omission.

Our country is in a mess because people can't possibly fathom sacrificing their lifestyle for the good of the country. they'd rather blow the budget in the here and now and leave the consequences to the future generations.

Our country is in a mess because people no longer cherish the idea of saving up to purchase something and instead look with great fortitude on how to get it right now and push off the burden of paying for it to a later date.

Our country is in a mess because people still can't get it through their thick skulls that globalization is real and it's happening at the speed of light, literally.

Our country is in a mess because people can't seem to do basic 5th grad math despite having all sorts of accredited degrees.

Our country is in a mess because its people are apolitical up to about 5 minutes before an election then they vote like they would if it was American Idol.

Our country is in a mess because its people are too lazy to do some of the most very basic things that are required of them to be born on this planet and, no, it's not spend other people's money till you feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Our country is in a mess because our political system simply changes sides like a two-faced ***** every 2, 4, 6 and 8 years. Each year gets worse and they rationalize that gross incompetence with severe partisanship.

Old 04-28-2012, 11:52 AM

4,320 posts, read 4,794,415 times
Quote:
If young people go into the building trades today, they'll find the unions gone or seriously weakened (thank you GOP for THAT) and the jobs filled by immigrants, legal or otherwise.

The world you and I came of age in doesn't exist any more and neither do the opportunities. 30 years of globalism has seen to that.
The IBEW is not gone! They still pay very high wages; I retired over 14 years ago when the rate was $35 per hour!!

Old 04-28-2012, 11:54 AM

Quote:

Do I need to explain to you how the second law of thermodynamics works?

Old 04-28-2012, 11:55 AM

Quote:
The IBEW is not gone! They still pay very high wages; I retired over 14 years ago when the rate was $35 per hour!!
And who else in the world wants to still come to America when it cost $400,000 for a new home in most of the larger cities when they get paid annual salaries of $3,000 - $12,000/year? You think they saved $80,000 for a 20% down payment?

Old 04-28-2012, 12:00 PM

37,803 posts, read 41,068,247 times
Quote:
Here's a very interesting survey done by Harvard University. I don't know how the survey was structured, or which young people they selected, but it's still pretty interesting, especially in light of the current planks in both political party's platforms.

They asked young people to decide between two different options. For instance, what's your highest priority...lowering the tax burden for all Americans or ensuring affordable access to health care? (lowering taxes lost) Or, what's the highest priority in this case...creating jobs and lowering the unemployment rate or protecting individual liberties from government (jobs wins...in EVERY matching with any other subject).

It makes pretty interesting study, especially when one considers that in a very short time, these young people WILL BE the dominate power in America.

It also points out something some of us have been saying for a long time: Young people today are not a lost generation of selfish video game players. They are alert, informed and involved.

Young People?s Priorities - Graphic - NYTimes.com
They probably don't pay taxes if they are students. They probably don't pay utility bills either or feed a family. And I'm certain none own a home that's been foreclosed on. Why do you think Obama campaigns at colleges?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies