Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2012, 11:30 AM

10,581 posts, read 9,779,270 times

Advertisements

The good news about a Toyota Prius is that it's terrific technology. They are mostly reliable, and their gas mileage is stunning.

The bad news is, they're expensive, upwards of $40,000 a pop to buy, for a car that doesn't seat any more than a Ford Focus.

Well, at least after going thru the pain of spending a huge amount of money on an econobox, at least you can have the pleasure of using it, pay so little for gas etc.

But what if you spend all that money to buy it, and then never use it?

Twisted though that sounds, it's far easier to do when you're not spending your own money. If it's Other People's Money you're spending on them, hey who cares. And if a few get lost in the shuffle, well.......

I'm SO glad we are turning more and more responsibility over to Government, aren't you?
----------------------------------------------------
Hundreds of 5-year-old municipal vehicles found in Miami that were never used

By Chris Tutor
Posted Apr 25th 2012 6:59PM

Have you ever bought a brand new cars only to forget where you put it? How about 300 of them? Probably not – unless you're Miami-Dade County, which was recently reunited with 298 vehicles it bought brand new between 2006 and 2007.

The county "discovered" this fleet of no-mileage vehicles after reading about them in a Spanish-language newspaper there (see the source for more images). Most of the misplaced motorcade is made up of Toyota Prius hybrids whose warranties either expired with very few miles on the odo or will very soon.

Looking to save some face, the county has rushed at least 123 of the hybrids into service. The Toyota warranty covered the hybrid bits for eight years or 100,000 miles, but we're not sure if that covers cars parked for five of those eight. We're also not sure what that much time in Miami heat and humidity does to an unused hybrid powertrain, but it can't be good.

The county, as you probably guessed, is looking into how it lost so many cars. The leading theory is that they might be part of Carlos Alvarez's time as mayor. He was the mayor during the period the Toyotas were purchased, but a 2011 recall election successfully removed him from office. Apparently the voters "felt, among other reasons, that he had been behind multiple acts of misappropriation of funds."

We've tried to contact Toyota to see what kind of warranty support these cars will get but haven't had any luck so far. We'll update with their response.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2012, 11:45 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,847,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
The good news about a Toyota Prius is that it's terrific technology. They are mostly reliable, and their gas mileage is stunning.

The bad news is, they're expensive, upwards of $40,000 a pop to buy, for a car that doesn't seat any more than a Ford Focus.

Well, at least after going thru the pain of spending a huge amount of money on an econobox, at least you can have the pleasure of using it, pay so little for gas etc.

Twisted though that sounds, it's far easier to do when you're not spending your own money. If it's Other People's Money you're spending on them, hey who cares. And if a few get lost in the shuffle, well.......

I'm SO glad we are turning more and more responsibility over to Government, aren't you?

By Chris Tutor

Have you ever bought a brand new cars only to forget where you put it? How about 300 of them? Probably not – unless you're Miami-Dade County, which was recently reunited with 298 vehicles it bought brand new between 2006 and 2007.

The county "discovered" this fleet of no-mileage vehicles after reading about them in a Spanish-language newspaper there (see the source for more images). Most of the misplaced motorcade is made up of Toyota Prius hybrids whose warranties either expired with very few miles on the odo or will very soon.

Looking to save some face, the county has rushed at least 123 of the hybrids into service. The Toyota warranty covered the hybrid bits for eight years or 100,000 miles, but we're not sure if that covers cars parked for five of those eight. We're also not sure what that much time in Miami heat and humidity does to an unused hybrid powertrain, but it can't be good.

The county, as you probably guessed, is looking into how it lost so many cars. The leading theory is that they might be part of Carlos Alvarez's time as mayor. He was the mayor during the period the Toyotas were purchased, but a 2011 recall election successfully removed him from office. Apparently the voters "felt, among other reasons, that he had been behind multiple acts of misappropriation of funds."

We've tried to contact Toyota to see what kind of warranty support these cars will get but haven't had any luck so far. We'll update with their response.
I think they are to be given to welfare moms!

Old 04-28-2012, 11:46 AM

14,076 posts, read 20,521,713 times
Buying things and never using them is far from a new occurrence for government. It's been going on for a long time and, though hardly excusable, is mostly a factor of the SIZE of the governments inventory. Nobody really knows what it owns or where it is.

For instance, literally thousands of travel trailers were bought for the victims of Katrina and never used. A lot of them still sit somewhere in Arkansas and we're paying to maintain them. On a smaller scale, I once took over a rifle company in the Army and found myself personally responsible for a supply and arms room which had over 30,000 individual items in it! Nobody knew what was actually in there until we did a top to bottom inventory. Even then, we found things unaccounted for or missing.

Any large organization will have similar problems. That all those Toyota's are sitting there unused doesn't indicate anything more than that the government needs to get a better handle on its accountability. Well...who didn't already know that?

Heck, we could ALL do that! I've got things right here in this house that I've forgotten even exist. I'll bet you do too.

Old 04-28-2012, 11:53 AM

6,721 posts, read 5,199,738 times
Imagine my surprise when I checed the "LIST" of a prius and discovered the OP was lying about them costing $40k each. List is $24k and who pays list?

2012 Toyota 3rd Gen Prius Homepage

Old 04-28-2012, 11:53 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,847,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
Buying things and never using them is far from a new occurrence for government. It's been going on for a long time and, though hardly excusable, is mostly a factor of the SIZE of the governments inventory. Nobody really knows what it owns or where it is.

For instance, literally thousands of travel trailers were bought for the victims of Katrina and never used. A lot of them still sit somewhere in Arkansas and we're paying to maintain them. On a smaller scale, I once took over a rifle company in the Army and found myself personally responsible for a supply and arms room which had over 30,000 individual items in it! Nobody knew what was actually in there until we did a top to bottom inventory. Even then, we found things unaccounted for or missing.

Any large organization will have similar problems. That all those Toyota's are sitting there unused doesn't indicate anything more than that the government needs to get a better handle on its accountability. Well...who didn't already know that?

Heck, we could ALL do that! I've got things right here in this house that I've forgotten even exist. I'll bet you do too.
I think the Defense Dept loses about $100 Bil each year. They just lose it, no idea where it went. By the way, it would cost about $30 Bil each year to pay for all College tuition. Just a thought.

Old 04-28-2012, 11:55 AM

37,959 posts, read 22,134,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post

By Chris Tutor

Prob bought them from a crony with a Toyota car dealership

Old 04-28-2012, 11:55 AM

20,868 posts, read 23,537,374 times
$40,000 for a Prius? You must be thinking about the Volt. A prius can be had for around $25k.
2006-2007, looks like the republicans liked to go green too, of course without their fan base not knowing which is probably why they sat so long.

Old 04-28-2012, 12:18 PM

7,184 posts, read 4,763,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzards27 View Post
Imagine my surprise when I checed the "LIST" of a prius and discovered the OP was lying about them costing $40k each. List is $24k and who pays list?

The OP stated the Prius cars were bought between 2006 and 2007. You are correct about the price.

I bought mine in 2008 and it cost no where near 40,000.

Old 04-28-2012, 12:38 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,521,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
I think the Defense Dept loses about $100 Bil each year. They just lose it, no idea where it went. By the way, it would cost about $30 Bil each year to pay for all College tuition. Just a thought.

And, if DOD can lose that much, just think of how much is lost by every department in total?

If we could just get a handle on the loss, it would go a long way toward solving our deficit problem, wouldn't it?

Old 04-28-2012, 12:42 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,213,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzards27 View Post

That would be the fed will pay list plus an additional.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies