Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2012, 11:19 PM

19 posts, read 184,008 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
You're full of good zingers tonite.

Seriously though, i marvel at fat ass Americans whining about their inability to drive 4 minutes to Walmart so that they can buy cheap refrigerator magnets. I mean, Walmart is THAT important to these folks that they get in threads and fight tooth and nail with people as to how important they are? Geez. Believe me, Walmart will survive without opening another store in some community that really doesn't want them.

Well I'm not fighting tooth and nail, just stating what's happening.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2012, 11:21 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,193,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snakeyes37 View Post
Well I'm not fighting tooth and nail, just stating what's happening.
Guess what? If Walmart never comes to Tehachapi, you'll live.

Old 04-28-2012, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Guess what? If Walmart never comes to Tehachapi, you'll live.

I'll live because I don't shop there anyway. It's no mystery that Winco is cheaper which is where I shop. But we have a monopoly with our two grocery stores that we currently have.

Old 04-28-2012, 11:33 PM

30,345 posts, read 51,937,226 times
Quote:
You're full of good zingers tonite.

Seriously though, i marvel at fat ass Americans whining about their inability to drive 4 minutes to Walmart so that they can buy cheap refrigerator magnets. I mean, Walmart is THAT important to these folks that they get in threads and fight tooth and nail with people as to how important they are? Geez. Believe me, Walmart will survive without opening another store in some community that really doesn't want them.
I certainly wasn't crying before they arrived (especially since we already had one in another part of town), but I was happy when they did! Not because I need "cheap Chinese trinkets," more because my other nearby shopping options are overpriced. I don't have a lot of disposable income these days, and Walmart simply has better deals on certain things... namely pet supplies and household items like cleaners, for which I'd be paying nearly double at Safeway, Walgreens, Petco, etc. I usually get my pet stuff at Pet Club or this one locally-owned shop, but at 11pm when my pantry is empty and pets are hungry, it's nice having a Walmart across the street. That is all.

Old 04-28-2012, 11:40 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,193,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
I certainly wasn't crying before they arrived (especially since we already had one in another part of town), but I was happy when they did! Not because I need "cheap Chinese trinkets," more because my other nearby shopping options are overpriced. I don't have a lot of disposable income these days, and Walmart simply has better deals on certain things... namely pet supplies and household items like cleaners, for which I'd be paying nearly double at Safeway, Walgreens, Petco, etc. I usually get my pet stuff at Pet Club or this one locally-owned shop, but at 11pm when my pantry is empty and pets are hungry, it's nice having a Walmart across the street. That is all.
Yes, they do have some items that are pretty cheap. But like i said, overall, i don't see the big deal. I don't have a pet, so i wouldn't know about that.

Since they have stiff competition around here, i can easily go to K-Mart or Target to get the same stuff.

What i do wonder though is what incentive will Walmart have to be so "cheap" if they run all of their competitors out of business?

Old 04-28-2012, 11:41 PM

15,530 posts, read 10,499,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofurkey View Post
WalMart tried for years to get zoning in urban Dallas to open a superstore, which the Dallas city council never allowed. WalMart finally did open a grocery/pharmacy store in the inner city. None of the hardware/clothing stuff. So you know Ruth, sometimes local governments have as much to do with store placement as do logistics. There is a Target store right across the highway from that WalMart and has been there much longer than the WalMart.
True, you have to go outside the loop to find a Walmart. 20 minute drive if you are lucky.

Old 04-28-2012, 11:42 PM

409 posts, read 254,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzie679 View Post
What brand of smart phone do conservatives prefer?
Android, Blackberry

Superior devices.

Old 04-28-2012, 11:52 PM

30,345 posts, read 51,937,226 times
Quote:
Yes, they do have some items that are pretty cheap. But like i said, overall, i don't see the big deal. I don't have a pet, so i wouldn't know about that.

Since they have stiff competition around here, i can easily go to K-Mart or Target to get the same stuff.
We don't have a K-Mart anywhere nearby (AFAIK), but there is a Target almost as close to me, and their prices on most things are noticeably higher. But when I'm not so broke, they are my preferred "superstore." I live in a big city, so it's not like I don't have other options - I've just found Walmart to be the cheapest for some products.

Quote:
What i do wonder though is what incentive will Walmart have to be so "cheap" if they run all of their competitors out of business?
Good point, but I doubt Target or K-Mart will be run out by them... as I said, when money isn't as tight I usually pick Target first.

Old 04-28-2012, 11:57 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,043,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofurkey View Post
Wal-Mart pays more in taxes than Apple yet Apple is beloved by liberals and Wal-Mart hated.

That's why I go to WalMart to buy American. I don't buy anything Apple 'made in China', and a company that keeps its international profits outside the U.S. tax system.
Most of the stuff sold in walmart are made in china including apple idevices aswell.

Looks like both the liberal scum and conservative douchebags love stuff made from china.

Old 04-29-2012, 12:08 AM

The only thing we have here is a Kmart that almost closed down a few years ago. They hardly ever have anything you need and their shelves are very poorly stocked. With gas as high as it is and money tight it's not always as easy as "going down the mountain" to save money. My options are to spend $3 for a gallon of milk at Albertsons or $2 for a gallon at Save Mart (when it's on sale).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies