Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2012, 04:06 PM

4,367 posts, read 3,483,876 times

Advertisements

Quote:
What you call the events in Los Angeles that began 20 years ago Sunday says something about your view of the world. To Leftists and black activists, it was an “uprising”; white liberals prefer to call it “civil unrest”; many others call them the L.A. Riots. But Koreans simply call it Sa-i-gu, or April 29. The date lives in infamy in the hearts of Southern California’s Korean-American population, which bore the brunt of rioters’ rage and paid a lasting price. L.A.’s Korean immigrant community sustained nearly half the riots’ $1 billion in property damage; the dreams and pride of more than 10,000 Korean shopkeepers and their families were reduced to ash in the conflagration, including 2,300 predominately Korean-owned businesses in South L.A. alone. Many of those businesses never returned, casualties of the riots’ political aftermath.
Lessons of Sa-i-gu by Charles C. Johnson - City Journal

Interesting article. What stands out to me is the police confiscating the Korean businessmen's guns; scary. Could this happen again? Its a shame that present day politics rewards those who loot and burn and punishes those who produce. Seriously f-ed up stuff here, folks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2012, 04:52 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,418,524 times
Quote:
A UC Berkeley study of hate crimes published in 1992 identified at least 30 serious crimes—including armed robbery and assault—against Korean merchants by black assailants in the five-year period leading up to the riots. The press chose to focus on one tragic incident that occurred within days of the Rodney King video becoming a national sensation. On March 16, 1991, Soon Ja Du, the owner of Emperor Liquor, shot and killed Latasha Harlins, a 15-year-old black girl whom she suspected of trying to rob her. Finally, the L.A. media had what it sought: a Korean villain and a black victim
Looks like nothing has changed in 20 years. Today the media ignores the victims of black criminals and hate crimes but is hyperventilating over the death of a supposedly innocent Black kid and an evil mixed Hispanic and White man.

Old 04-28-2012, 05:00 PM

9,848 posts, read 8,281,707 times
Default Rodney Who? Most didn't know who he was in fact.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightflight View Post

Interesting article. What stands out to me is the police confiscating the Korean businessmen's guns; scary. Could this happen again? Its a shame that present day politics rewards those who loot and burn and punishes those who produce. Seriously f-ed up stuff here, folks.
At least they didn't come get the guns DURING the riots themselves because the blacks would kill them as they were trying to even kill the fire department who was trying to put out fires.

They choose to hit people they didn't like as good racist do.

Went after Koreans, non-blacks and gave USC a pass for employing so many blacks.

Started the night of the verdict with Mayor Tom Bradly coming on the camera somewhat IMO intoxicated saying he didn't understand why there weren't riots, then there were.

Later blacks on camera showed their hate of others and we saw the suburbs arm themselves after that due to the racism and death threats given in interviews.

Old 04-28-2012, 05:15 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,444,477 times
Your exactly right, i remember that night well, one i shall not forget nor the riots in Inglewood is also one i shall not forget even though i was small i remember.
Many Koreans Hopes and Dreams on that fateful nite, were shattered, and lost, never to return again, as a business. Millions in damages, looting, fires, were captured by cameras, people going nuts, and for what. The city was never rebuilt as it was suppose to be.
Koreans lost a lot that night, and so many of them never to rebuild their businessess, their pride and joy, their hard work now gone.
People ought to remember that aftermath, of rioting, it destroys cities, and it destroys people's
lives.

Racisim during that time was very much alive and strong, and the hatred, was so pure to see, it is no lie, why not tell the truth about it, i don't believe in covering up lies. The Black people on that night those who were rioting, and looting, and stealing, and robbing, and starting fires, are the cause of the city, never being rebuilt, the way it should have been.
Firemen on that night were not even safe, that says something right there, Rioting is nothing more then hatred, ignorance, and a wake up call, that all is not well.

Old 04-28-2012, 06:37 PM

9,848 posts, read 8,281,707 times
And the thing is all would never have happened if the LAPD staid out of it and let Melonie Springer of the Highway Patrol just shoot Rodney King dead as she was about to. LAPD trying to save Rodney Kings life was a waste IMO.
Rodney, his love of TS hookers, the drugs, booze and all of it wasn't worth it at all IMO.

Old 04-28-2012, 06:55 PM

8,653 posts, read 6,133,169 times
Edward, you clearly don’t know what you’re talking about on this issue. The gentrification of Los Angeles has been going on since the late 90s. Once Staples Center was built the Nokia Center and Luxury apartments came next. There’s a Ritz Carlton were the homeless used to congregate. The crime is much less then it used to be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Looks like nothing has changed in 20 years. Today the media ignores the victims of black criminals and hate crimes but is hyperventilating over the death of a supposedly innocent Black kid and an evil mixed Hispanic and White man.

Old 04-28-2012, 06:58 PM

8,653 posts, read 6,133,169 times
Honestly the riots would never have happened if the police didn’t have a reputation of violating the civil rights of minorities and using excessive force on blacks. The Rodney king incident was the tipping point not the single issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCCCB View Post
And the thing is all would never have happened if the LAPD staid out of it and let Melonie Springer of the Highway Patrol just shoot Rodney King dead as she was about to. LAPD trying to save Rodney Kings life was a waste IMO.
Rodney, his love of TS hookers, the drugs, booze and all of it wasn't worth it at all IMO.

Old 04-28-2012, 07:01 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,599,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightflight View Post

I believe that Big Brother confiscated guns during Katrina. Yeah, I think so.....and that Phonycon Bill O'Reilly was in full support too.

Old 04-28-2012, 07:05 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,599,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by california-jewel View Post
Your exactly right, i remember that night well, one i shall not forget nor the riots in Inglewood is also one i shall not forget even though i was small i remember.
Many Koreans Hopes and Dreams on that fateful nite, were shattered, and lost, never to return again, as a business. Millions in damages, looting, fires, were captured by cameras, people going nuts, and for what. The city was never rebuilt as it was suppose to be.
Koreans lost a lot that night, and so many of them never to rebuild their businessess, their pride and joy, their hard work now gone.
People ought to remember that aftermath, of rioting, it destroys cities, and it destroys people's
lives.

Racisim during that time was very much alive and strong, and the hatred, was so pure to see, it is no lie, why not tell the truth about it, i don't believe in covering up lies. The Black people on that night those who were rioting, and looting, and stealing, and robbing, and starting fires, are the cause of the city, never being rebuilt, the way it should have been.
Firemen on that night were not even safe, that says something right there, Rioting is nothing more then hatred, ignorance, and a wake up call, that all is not well.

Them Koreans had it coming, they was overcharging for Old English 800.....or that is the line I have heard a few times

Old 04-28-2012, 07:08 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,008,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
Them Koreans had it coming, they was overcharging for Old English 800.....or that is the line I have heard a few times
"Overcharging" is a subjective term.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies