Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2012, 10:29 AM

10,875 posts, read 13,810,134 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
And that's why he has chosen to be in the Republican party?? If he really believed as you say, wouldn't he jump over to the Democrats?
He's a libertarian under the (R) letter. Many have done this as not being under the two party letter will pretty much not get you elected anywhere.
Otherwise he could just as easily have a (D) next to his name. He fits neither party, and has some stances to support the left and others the right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2012, 10:33 AM

11,011 posts, read 11,023,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TempesT68 View Post
He's a libertarian under the (R) letter. Many have done this as because not being under the two party letter will not get you elected anywhere.
Otherwise he could just as easily have a (D) next to his name. He fits neither party, and has some stances to support the left and others the right.
He does have some stances that Democrats support but Ron Paul has always been very emphatic that he is a Republican and supports the party. Of course, he wants all Republicans to think exactly like him but he's not the type of person to assign 'corporate facism' to the GOP. He might level that at all of DC but not specifically at his own party.

I think the guy has some good ideas. As a Republican, I simply do not agree with his ideas on foreign policy but I do think he's good for our party in continuing to push and remind the GOP on the tenets of small government and states' rights.

Old 04-30-2012, 10:39 AM

Quote:
He does have some stances that Democrats support but Ron Paul has always been very emphatic that he is a Republican and supports the party.
I can't say I've ever heard him refer to himself as a republican or a conservative, but many times as a libertarian.

Quote:
Of course, he wants all Republicans to think exactly like him but he's not the type of person to assign 'corporate facism' to the GOP. He might level that at all of DC but not specifically at his own party.
Paul doesn't do direct attacks, but ones carefully worded, and they almost always go after the ones destroying freedom, and that's the GOP.

Quote:
I think the guy has some good ideas. As a Republican, I simply do not agree with his ideas on foreign policy but I do think he's good for our party in continuing to push and remind the GOP on the tenets of small government and states' rights.
That's because the GOP is the party of huge government, huge spending, and anti-freedom. They are basically the neo-fascist party today, something Paul and every other party is strong against, as it is exactly what the founding fathers are completely against as well.

Old 04-30-2012, 10:41 AM

3,417 posts, read 3,072,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammbriggs View Post
You won't vote for Ron Paul or the Libertarian candidate because rather than have services like medicare/aid, social security, obamacare etc delivered at the state level, you prefer to keep it all at the federal level.

For this you're prepared to accept indefinite detention, the federal war on drugs (with Obama now suggesting that employers carry out drug testing). you're prepared to accept the NDAA, Patriot Act, the Food bill, the continued war in Iraq (you might be fooled by the replacement of servicemen with mercenaries), Afghanistan, and the sabre rattling in Iran, North Korea. the exploding debt obviously doesn't bother you either. you probably agree with the president that the way to solve the debt crisis is by borrowing more. nor does it bother you that in an effort to end too big to fail, the banks are now bigger and more prone to fail.

all this because you're worried that the states can't take care of their seniors or their sick!

My, you've got one great sense of priority
I would't vote for ron paul because libertarianism is just conservatism on steroids. The only difference between conservatism and libertarianism is atleast conservatives look out for somebody other than themselves. It maybe rich white guys looing out for rich white guys, but atleast they look out for somebody.

Old 04-30-2012, 10:41 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,934,015 times
I'm a former Democrat that switched my political party in order to vote for Ron Paul in the primaries and am now registered as an Independent.

Democrats that talk about Paul's stance on entitlements are missing the BIG picture.

It's nice to have systems that support our most vulnerable citizens, but in order to continue those, we need to put an end to the war-mongering/nation-building overseas and put a stop to the fascist system that has allowed Big Gov and Big Biz to harness complete control of our political system at home. Everything else will fall in its place.
People have been taking care of other people since the dawn of time.

Old 04-30-2012, 10:49 AM

11,011 posts, read 11,023,344 times
Quote:
I can't say I've ever heard him refer to himself as a republican or a conservative, but many times as a libertarian.

Paul doesn't do direct attacks, but ones carefully worded, and they almost always go after the ones destroying freedom, and that's the GOP.

That's because the GOP is the party of huge government, huge spending, and anti-freedom. They are basically the neo-fascist party today, something Paul and every other party is strong against, as it is exactly what the founding fathers are completely against as well.
Those are your opinions and wildly off base but that's what I get used to hearing about this board.

Anyway, Ron Paul could have chosen Independent. He didn't. Like it or not, he aligns with Republicans. About the only real criticism that he has is that he wishes they would be even more right of their platform. Oh and yes, he has referred to himself as a Republican several times; he also calls himself a libertarian.

Old 04-30-2012, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Those are your opinions and wildly off base but that's what I get used to hearing about this board.

Anyway, Ron Paul could have chosen Independent. He didn't. Like it or not, he aligns with Republicans. About the only real criticism that he has is that he wishes they would be even more right of their platform. Oh and yes, he has referred to himself as a Republican several times; he also calls himself a libertarian.
You can keep believing that, but he is one the strongest anti-warmongering people in congress (strongly against the GOP agenda) against all the insane spending to the rich and big corporations (strongly against the GOP agenda)
Supports the legalization of all drugs (strongly against the GOP agenda) Wants religion and the huge government that comes with that out of government (strongly against the GOP agenda) etc,..
This is why fox and the GOP machine hates him, he is against what the core policies are of the GOP.

Old 04-30-2012, 11:01 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
the biggest of his bad ideas is to push everything onto the states. like i said, while reducing the size of the federal government is a good idea, ron paul is only about reducing the size of the federal government, not reducing the size of government period. we need to reduce the size of government at ALL levels, not just one.
Well put, my friend!

In actuality, pushing it all off to the states will result in the destruction of a lot of safety net programs and other programs regarding public health and safety. River cross state lines, so does air pollution. Our ag products come from all over. Should it be OK to fertilize with human feces in one state but not another, and then sell the stuff nationwide?

Quote:
One of the main things I do agree with Paul on, is he does know what is destroying freedom and liberty, and that's right wing fascism.
Today's GOP and especially the tea party are trying to destroy the nation at all costs to reign in their corporatist fascism.
Agreed! And I did like him telling that dipstick Santorum that the reason Paul called him a fake was that he was a fake!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammbriggs View Post
the problem that we have is that the majority of people in michigan want universal healthcare, whereas the majority in texas might want a market based approach. likewise, the majority in colorado want to be able to smoke a joint without facing prison and the majority in florida don't. why not just allow them to have their own policies
Perhaps we should try to avoid "tyranny of the majority", esp. in re to health care. There is no difference in health care needs in Michigan vs Texas. As for the marijuana laws, I don't really care.

Old 04-30-2012, 11:04 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,617,602 times
Rulers of the world or leaders of the world?

Take your pick?

Ruling the world has bankrupted every nation that has tried it

Old 04-30-2012, 11:15 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,862,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
You know what happens when one ass*umes!

Ron Paul is a racist, as well.
So the head of the Austin NAACP is incorrect when he says otherwise. We should believe you over a man who has specifically worked with Ron Paul? You cannot one time Ron Paul has done or said anything based on race. One of the few in Congress who refuses to vote based on race. No one gets any special privileges or rights. The ones who think otherwise are the collectivists who enjoy their own brand of racism.
Take off your agenda driven blinders for a change.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies