Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2012, 08:36 AM

25,838 posts, read 16,513,155 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
You'll never get the PC crowd to acknowledge this problem in health care. It's a nightmare.

I echo what someone said. Something is up with the food supply. I don't think it's just a matter of less activity. I don't recall everyone jumping up and down and running around outside 24/7 20-30 years ago when I was a kid (though that is what we kids did).

I do remember more whole foods, less restaurant visits, fewer options to eat out of a box/instant/frozen, no HFCS, etc. I never even saw a tv dinner until my roommate showed me hers in college.

The wheat is all screwed up.
The animals are all jacked full of hormones.
The fruits and veggies are nutritionally deficient because the soil never gets rested.
Every single product (from bread to ketchup) has this HFCS in it.

Our government let this happen...we let this happen. It's sick and I am angry.
The population of the country in 1940 was 130M. Now we are north of 300M. I think an argument of quality vs quantity could be made here.

My grandpa farmed 300 acres in 1940 and was considered rich at the time. Now 300 acres would barely support old equipment and a trailer house. They have completely changed the food industry from the farm to the shelves to accommodate not only this influx of humanity into this country but also for this ridiculous decision to ship millions of tons of food to Africa which is just making their problem worse. Giving them food is like throwing gas on a fire. This is a huge problem and it will be out of control soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2012, 08:36 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,798,558 times
Quote:
You'll never get the PC crowd to acknowledge this problem in health care. It's a nightmare.

I echo what someone said. Something is up with the food supply. I don't think it's just a matter of less activity. I don't recall everyone jumping up and down and running around outside 24/7 20-30 years ago when I was a kid (though that is what we kids did).

I do remember more whole foods, less restaurant visits, fewer options to eat out of a box/instant/frozen, no HFCS, etc. I never even saw a tv dinner until my roommate showed me hers in college.

The fruits and veggies are nutritionally deficient because the soil never gets rested.

"Pink Slime" is a classic example of what the food industry is trying to feed us to make a profit!

Old 05-01-2012, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
If a maximum weight is factored into the cost of a ticket than yes it does. But if it's not then it doesn't. More likely than not airlines have calculated the average weight per passenger and priced tickets accordingly.

Now I have heard of some airlines, Southwest for instance, that will actually charge a person for an extra seat of they take up too much space.
If the calculated average weight per passenger is used for the price of an airline ticket, everyone is paying more for the obese travelers. Same goes for the price of healthcare.

Old 05-01-2012, 08:45 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,328,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
The population of the country in 1940 was 130M. Now we are north of 300M. I think an argument of quality vs quantity could be made here.

My grandpa farmed 300 acres in 1940 and was considered rich at the time. Now 300 acres would barely support old equipment and a trailer house. They have completely changed the food industry from the farm to the shelves to accommodate not only this influx of humanity into this country but also for this ridiculous decision to ship millions of tons of food to Africa which is just making their problem worse. Giving them food is like throwing gas on a fire. This is a huge problem and it will be out of control soon.
Yes. Like a friend (wife of a German diplomat) was saying (we had this interesting conversation over dinner one night), you really have to ask yourself, "HOW IS IT that this food is so cheap?"

"What have they done to enable food to be this cheap?"

The answer is obvious.

Old 05-01-2012, 08:46 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,180,873 times
Quote:

Yeah, every time I go to Europe and eat the food I want to cry at how much better everything tastes there compared to here. They have a lot of laws in place about food being fresh and free from all the tinkering we do with food here in the USA. We mess with everything so much half of it tastes nothing like it would if you just decentralized production a bit and had food fresh and free from all these preservatives. We process the hell out of everything. Most other countries won't allow that, both legally and also in that they'd be offended culturally to be fed such crap.

Old 05-01-2012, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
Yeah, every time I go to Europe and eat the food I want to cry at how much better everything tastes there compared to here. They have a lot of laws in place about food being fresh and free from all the tinkering we do with food here in the USA. We mess with everything so much half of it tastes nothing like it would if you just decentralized production a bit and had food fresh and free from all these preservatives. We process the hell out of everything. Most other countries won't allow that, both legally and also in that they'd be offended culturally to be fed such crap.
Of course, they spend a much greater percentage of their salaries on food in european countries.

I'm ok with that.

Food is your medicine. It's like the number one thing you can do for your own health. I don't have an issue with quality costing a bit more - will pay for itself in the long run.

Old 05-01-2012, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
The Republicans want to remove even more regulations that keep our food safe and nutritious, all in the name of creating jobs.

Vitamins, by law, have to be added to white bread because the flour, used to make white bread, has been so processed it actually robs the body of vitamins!

Quote:
By law, white and brown flour is fortified with calcium, iron, plus the B vitamins thiamin and niacin.
Flour Advisory Bureau - Flour for Homebaking & Breadmaking, Wheat Allergy, Nutritional Value of Bread and Flour

Quote:
the flour used to make white bread is chemically bleached, just like you bleach your clothes. When you are eating white bread, you are also eating residual chemical bleach.
Flour mills use different chemical bleaches, all of which are pretty bad. Here are a few of them: oxide of nitrogen, chlorine, chloride, nitrosyl and benzoyl peroxide mixed with various chemical salts.
One bleaching agent, chloride oxide, combined with whatever proteins are still left in the flour, produces alloxan. Alloxon is a poison and has been used to produce diabetes in laboratory animals. Chlorine oxide destroys the vital wheat germ oil. It will also shorten the flour’s shelf life.
http://www.bodybuildingtipsforyou.com/707/danger-of-eating-white-bread/ (broken link)

Old 05-01-2012, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
The Republicans want to remove even more regulations that keep our food safe and nutritious, all in the name of creating jobs.

Vitamins, by law, have to be added to white bread because the flour, used to make white bread, has been so processed it actually robs the body of vitamins!

Flour Advisory Bureau - Flour for Homebaking & Breadmaking, Wheat Allergy, Nutritional Value of Bread and Flour
Yes. Interestingly, the fact that it has been fortified should alert people that it has been refined. Which is your signal not to buy that crap.
Bromated, enriched, fortified...all words that should make you put the bread down and keep looking.

Btw, the regulations that exist aren't doing that much good in the first place (in terms of nutrition - safety is another issue).

Even most of what is parading around out there as 'whole wheat' bread is a total scam.

Frankly, I'm pretty much ready to toss bread out of our diet completely. There aren't many nutrients in it that you can't get from other food sources.

Old 05-01-2012, 09:04 AM

1,598 posts, read 1,935,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
It is a fact that obese people require more medical care. And they require more expensive medical care.

I don't want the government to have more power. But it is reasonable for an insurer, whose business is based on calculations of risk, to charge obese people higher rates. Just like they do for life insurance. And I think it is reasonable that those who do not take those risks, not be forced to subsidize those that do.

If I have to pay higher rates because I smoke (and I should) then someone who is obese should have to pay higher rates as well.

For the past several years I've been trying to quit and I'm down to about a 1/2 a pack a week. In the end though, until I quit completely and stay smoke free for several years the damage to my body will still be there. No one to blame but myself and I should have to bear the burdens of my decision to smoke.

The same goes for the obese. Most obese people are that way for two reasons: lack of exercise and poor diet. Not everyone can look like a fitness model but there is no reason for anyone to be 100 + Lbs overweight barring a serious medical condition.

Old 05-01-2012, 09:49 AM

25,838 posts, read 16,513,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Obese people are becoming a nightmare to people working in healthcare, especially surgery! They are difficult to put IVs in, difficult to intubate or manage their airway, hard on our backs when they have to be moved, huge infection risks, surgical procedures are more difficult because of the excessive fat, risk of post operative obstructive sleep apnea which usually requires prolonged stay in recovery room,.......etc.....etc.....

Bottom line is; obese people cost much more for healthcare.

In the past 20 years, I the number of obese patients in my practice increase at least fourfold!

I just want to add that I have seen up to 45 minutes of OR time taken, before the surgery starts, to try and displace the Panniculus out of the surgical field.
This guy is the most unhealthy person I have ever met. If he isn't eating he is coughing all over the place. He coughs and coughs year around and he doesn't smoke! And he falls asleep and snores at the drop of a hat. He keeps his prescriptions in a box that looks like a tackle box.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies