Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2012, 09:44 AM

14,917 posts, read 13,101,264 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budke View Post
I'm very aware of BSA's antiquated policies. The upper management may have a problem with this but when it comes down to individual troops it can differ greatly. As with our troop.

The only time religion was ever brought up was when I went up for Eagle and I was asked if I believe in God(or accept him as my savior. Something like that) and I just said "yea" and tried not to laugh.

But thanks, BSA. My resume looks a lot better now.
I was pulled aside for the same conversation while in the Boy Scouts (I was a Star Scout at the time though). I said no. I didn't return to the Boy Scouts after that conversation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2012, 10:25 AM

8,653 posts, read 6,133,169 times
Going camping with male family members is totally different than going camping with people you might not know too well. I would never take any chances with children.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
My daughter does go camping with men. She has a father, a brother, uncles, friends. You do understand the difference between homosexuality and pedophilia, right? The best defence against anyone harming your children is vigilence and educating your children, and definitely not believing outdated folklore.

Old 05-01-2012, 12:08 PM

10,581 posts, read 9,783,616 times
What would be better for the scouts, and Scouting?

a.) Forbidding gay Scoutmasters, or

b.) Dealing with the lawsuit (and attendant publicity) resulting from one gay Scoutmaster out of the millions of scouts, troops, and camping trips, cornholing a nine-year-old boy in a tent in the woods sometime in the next five years?

I'd be especially interested in hearing from anyone who believes he can guarantee that (b) won't happen.

Old 05-01-2012, 12:13 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,563,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
What would be better for the scouts, and Scouting?

a.) Forbidding gay Scoutmasters, or

b.) Dealing with the lawsuit (and attendant publicity) resulting from one gay Scoutmaster out of the millions of scouts, troops, and camping trips, cornholing a nine-year-old boy in a tent in the woods sometime in the next five years?

I'd be especially interested in hearing from anyone who believes he can guarantee that (b) won't happen.
What does allowing gay scout masters have to do with pedophilia? Educate yourself, there are many sources. The majority of pedophiles and molesters do not identify as gay. If you truly want to keep scouts safe, all men who identify as straight should be prevented from becoming scoutmaster, as they pose the greater threat.

Old 05-01-2012, 12:19 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,214,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
I said it before and I'll say it again "Glee Scouts"
Yeah, they could be the 'Big Tent' scouts. You know... for all those musicals at camp.

Old 05-01-2012, 12:20 PM

10,581 posts, read 9,783,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
What does allowing gay scout masters have to do with pedophilia?
See Post #102.

Old 05-01-2012, 12:33 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,563,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
See Post #102.
The longer people cling to archaic notions, the less safe children will be. How do you plan to protect your children when you refuse to acknowledge real risk?

Old 05-01-2012, 12:52 PM

7,006 posts, read 6,994,198 times
The Boy Scouts don't want pedophiles near their kids can you blame them?

Old 05-01-2012, 12:57 PM

8,653 posts, read 6,133,169 times
If the Catholic Church implemented and enforced a similar rule they wouldn’t be in the predicament they’re in. Too risky to make a point when children are involved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by renault View Post
The Boy Scouts don't want pedophiles near their kids can you blame them?

Old 05-01-2012, 01:58 PM

4,280 posts, read 6,086,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHABAZZ310 View Post
If the Catholic Church implemented and enforced a similar rule they wouldn’t be in the predicament they’re in. Too risky to make a point when children are involved.
You mean the predicament it's in because it did what most people did in the 70's and before in relation to sexual abuse? All of society pushed it under the rug, but only one part of society is being harangued for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies