Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2012, 02:52 PM

25,231 posts, read 16,929,539 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Bricks View Post
Don't be an idiot, there are laws against killing children. Its always laughable when people who hate religion, try to quote from the bible. Now I wouldn't hesitate to wear out the behind of any child of mine who was disobedient or disrespecful. But liberals don't even want parents to do that.
When one person uses the Bible to validtae their POV then others can use the same Bible to show the problem with doing so, you cannot pick and chose which you will listen to as evidence of what the Bible says. FYI, I am as much a Christian as you and thought one of us should point out that fact to you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2012, 02:53 PM

2,677 posts, read 2,615,881 times
Quote:
Don't be an idiot, there are laws against killing children.
Since when do the laws of mere humans take precedence over those of the almighty???

Should you not be advocating making the killing of disobedient children legal? For if you fail to do so, you are as much an abomination as those who "choose" (as if) to be homosexual!

It's right there in the very chapter you yourself used.

Old 04-30-2012, 02:54 PM

25,231 posts, read 16,929,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12MILBID View Post
Agreed.

And I'll bet the people that love, support and accept the Boy Scouts of America far outnumber the ones that don't.
Be careful making assumptions you might lose a bunch on making that bet.

Old 04-30-2012, 03:06 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,356,098 times
Quote:
Why don't people who have a problem with a CHRISTIAN organization, start their own for gay people? You know why they don't because it would be a complete FAIL. So instead they try to force their views on the boy scouts.
Whoa there, buddy, and all the rest of you who think BSA is a Christian organization, let's not play revisionist to suit our own faith convictions. Boy Scouts of America is unequivocally an ecumenical organization and has been from the very beginning...

Per the original 1911 Handbook for Boys, here is the extent of what it has to say about God & faith beyond the few words found in the Oath and Law that were mentioned in an earlier post:

"Faithfulness to duty is another one of the scout virtues. When it is a scout's duty to do something, he dare not shirk. A scout is faithful to his own interest and the interests of others. He is true to his country and his God." -- p. 9

"A scout is reverent. He is reverent toward God. He is faithful in his religious duties and respects the convictions of others in matters of custom and religion." -- p. 16

Our pack of 50 boys currently has families representing five major world religions: Hinduism, Christianity, Islam, Buddhism, and Judaism.

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
The BSA has certain values. And since they are a private organization, they are exempt from certain "fairness" concepts.

So leave.
My husband and I have been involved in BSA leadership for over 25 years and have no intention of leaving. Furthermore, let me assure all of you that there is no homogeneity of opinion on this issue, and there are many of us on the inside who are currently advocating for the organization to change its policies, and we will continue to do so.

Last edited by randomparent; 04-30-2012 at 03:38 PM..

Old 04-30-2012, 03:06 PM

662 posts, read 1,450,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theflipflop View Post
This is really the crux of the situation. They have no obligation to change their values or belief system.

I was a boy scout many years ago. I ended up leaving when my scoutmaster refused to stop making public troop prayers in Jesus' name. I asked nicely if he could make the same prayer without the Jesus reference, and he informed me that without Jesus' name, it's not a prayer. So I left, as it was a situation I couldn't live with. Never did I demand they make the change. I asked respectfully, and I was answered.

Now fast forward nearly 30 years... I'm working with a group of fellow dads to start a boy scout troop in my neighborhood for Orthodox Jewish boys. Still plan to do it under the auspices of the BSA, becasuethey are the best at what they do, but we plan to give the troop our own regional "twist," appropriate for young Yidden. And we, like the troop I belonged to as a kid, plan to offer a take it or leave troop, that people are free to join or not join, as they so choose.
My son was part of a Cub Scout Pack in Plano, TX and then a Boy Scout Troop there. Never was a prayer in Jesus' name. It was always a non-denominational prayer since it was a very diverse school.

Old 04-30-2012, 03:10 PM

33,521 posts, read 37,121,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nonexpat View Post
My son was part of a Cub Scout Pack in Plano, TX and then a Boy Scout Troop there. Never was a prayer in Jesus' name. It was always a non-denominational prayer since it was a very diverse school.
Diverse? Not if one is an atheist....Many years ago I was a scout leader, until I was outed...Then I got the big boot...

Old 04-30-2012, 03:21 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,680,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Diverse? Not if one is an atheist....Many years ago I was a scout leader, until I was outed...Then I got the big boot...
As an atheist why would you join a religious based youth group.

Old 04-30-2012, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
As an atheist why would you join a religious based youth group.
I had no idea that it was a bigoted christian group at the time, and enrolled my two sons...The troop I was involved with were certainly not overtly religious, and my sons and I enjoyed the experience while it lasted.

Old 04-30-2012, 03:36 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,356,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
I had no idea that it was a bigoted christian group at the time, and enrolled my two sons...The troop I was involved with were certainly not overtly religious, and my sons and I enjoyed the experience while it lasted.
Once again, BSA is an ecumenical faith-based organization, not a Christian organization.

Old 04-30-2012, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
Once again, BSA is an ecumenical faith-based organization, not a Christian organization.
That is true, but most members, at least in North America are Christian. Nevertheless it is an organization that is bigoted towards atheists, agnostics and homosexuals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies