Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2012, 09:19 AM

78,417 posts, read 60,613,724 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
If that were the case there would be non-stop, in-depth coverage on all the networks. There would be wide spread rioting. Obama would have commented on it. Clearly you heard wrong.
I was just mocking the TM thread where people rushed in to condemn the "white" zimmerman and then along came people saying he was a republican.

The TM saga was definitely hijacked for political gain.

This is just part of the ongoing blow-back by people that are sick and tired of the politics, race-baiting etc. of incidents. It's unhealthy and divisive...and now those people are reaping what they've sown.

With thread after thread of alternative examples, it isn't pretty, but it's real.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2012, 10:04 AM

15,852 posts, read 35,139,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoris View Post
The US is ranked among the worst places in the world for gun violence!!

Yeah guns!!!

Gun violence - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
A. Wikipedia is not a valid source for *anything* and

B. This is the same argument that they used before the Communists took control of Russia.

The founding fathers gave us our second amendment rights to ensure, that by bearing arms we can rise up against governmental tyranny. Being able to protect yourself and your loved ones in the face of lethal danger is a RIGHT that all of us enjoy and one that we should exercise (judiciously, of course), because once it is gone, it is gone for good.

20yrsinBranson

Old 05-01-2012, 10:13 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,655,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aganusn View Post
Yes, all urban youth are bad. Everyone of every group is bad.
No, just every black person is bad. All white people are good.

Old 05-01-2012, 10:42 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,892,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
No, just every black person is bad. All white people are good.
Never thought I would see a liberal reveal his true feelings.

Old 05-01-2012, 11:22 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,655,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Never thought I would see a liberal reveal his true feelings.
Who said I was a liberal?

Old 05-01-2012, 11:42 AM

19,893 posts, read 18,447,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
That's kind of the point of the entire thread. Some people in this country actually believe that if you just "reason" or "talk to" the criminals, or if you are "non threatening" like a female, they won't hurt you.
Your so right? these kinds of people are not the type you can reason with, they don't comprehend reason, whether your a women or a child, they don't give a damn.
The mayor needs a reality check, the bad guys will never have a problem getting guns.
Thugs are not the reasoning kind, there is only way they understand, and that is too, put and instill fear, and to hurt those that do not do as they are told. Thugs can be any color, gender, or religion.
The only thing a thug will understand, is someone coming up against him, who is tougher and stronger then he. And a bullet to stop him.
What we do not need is thugs taking over!

Old 05-01-2012, 02:48 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,742,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Advice from a leftist liberal.

Never appeal to a thugs better nature. He does not have one.

Be alert, be aware be armed.

When attacked kill the vermin without remorse.

Gun control is selecting a legitimate target aand hitting it with the first shot.
and the second.
I'm just gonna have to rep you for that one here because I can't rep you again just yet.

Old 05-01-2012, 03:46 PM

78,417 posts, read 60,613,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Is it really agenda driven? Ovcatto said that gun control laws or the abscence of gun control laws are not a good predictor of violent crime rates. Fair enough.

So I respond that you have to lay in race as well to improve your R squared. Of course race is an important variable in predicting violence in addition to the other variables you listed. However without including race and just going by the variables you listed you would not get a complete model.

Poverty alone doesn't explain violence Appalachia is mired in poverty we don't see this level of violence. Some will counter well Appalchia is rural, fair enough. Then why isn't Chinatown in NYC a gun riddled ghetto? Its poverty levels are on par if not poorer than Central Harlem and aren't too off from Bushwick either. Both neighborhoods have far more gun violence than Chinatown.

So while race by itself isn't the best predictor any statistical or regressional anaylsis that attempts to predict violent crime in the USA has to factor in race, imho.
I've never seen a credible solid statistical study show something like that. If you care to produce one, then do so. If you cannot then I would suggest that you are letting your personal opinion dictate statistical significance to race instead of statistics.

Old 05-01-2012, 06:14 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,892,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
I've never seen a credible solid statistical study show something like that. If you care to produce one, then do so. If you cannot then I would suggest that you are letting your personal opinion dictate statistical significance to race instead of statistics.
Please, check out the homicide rates of young black men versus young white men. Any math guy should be able to deduce that race needs to be factored out when comparing homicide rates of different communities.

Old 05-01-2012, 06:23 PM

9,848 posts, read 8,283,089 times
Are the people who were shot OK?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies