Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2012, 11:36 AM

7,528 posts, read 11,358,025 times

Advertisements

What do you feel are the reasons for this?

Why Is There A Gender Pay Gap? - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2012, 11:37 AM

7,528 posts, read 11,358,025 times
Like many people I can acknowledge that there is a pay gap between men and women. But the question is why? The why of this is a little more complicated and nuanced than people realize. If you think it's all discrimination then you will be missing other factors that's contributing to this gap. Like the fact that more men tend to negotiate their salaries in comparison to women. This can explain why both men and women coming out of college and going into the same professions,working the same hours the men can earn more because they've probably negotiated and the women didn't.

Take Control: How to Negotiate Your Salary - ABC News

Old 05-01-2012, 11:39 AM

867 posts, read 498,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post

Most of the differences in lifetime earnings of men vs woman (and that is what these studies reflect, not annual or hourly income, but lifetime income (and if you don't believe me, read the actual studies), are due to the fact that many women interrupt their careers to raise children, or work an abbreviated career working only as long as it takes for the husband to get a good-paying, career-grade job. Women also tend to change jobs more often.

When compared apples to apples, women earn about 97% as much as men, all other factors normalized.

Old 05-01-2012, 11:39 AM

3,417 posts, read 3,071,854 times
I can already tell you where this question will lead to. It will eventually get into a fight between liberals and conservatives and possibly race. Just wanted to warn you.

Old 05-01-2012, 11:46 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,200,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nighttrain55 View Post
I can already tell you where this question will lead to. It will eventually get into a fight between liberals and conservatives and possibly race. Just wanted to warn you.
Doesn't this describe any thread on this forum?

Old 05-01-2012, 11:50 AM

867 posts, read 498,078 times
Quote:

Also, women must be willing to work cheaper than men.

Old 05-01-2012, 12:00 PM

9,701 posts, read 5,109,464 times
There are too many variables that people don't explain.

If you take gross wages vs gross wages, I'd expect a pay gap, simply b/c high level executives ratio of M/F, and pay, skew the numbers, as well as more men in well-compensated fields like finance and engineering.

I'd also expect there to be a larger gap between older men & women b/c a big part of your current wages are your previous wages, and that compounds if you were discriminated against in the past.

I'd also expect there to be a pay gap in positions where wages are negotiated b/c men negotiate more often and for more money.

I don't believe that things are being compared apples to apples in wage discrepancy.

But even factoring all these thing, I don't doubt men make more than women due to some discrimination. There are too many people w/ ignorant opinions born from an era where those ideas were tolerated to not be true.

Old 05-01-2012, 12:42 PM

1,130 posts, read 2,023,962 times
Young female college grads who don't have children are now making more than their male counterparts. Given that 40% of children are born out of wedlock, however, women as a whole don't fare as well because so many single moms settle for lower paying jobs that can better accommodate their parental responsibilities. Even among dual income families, it is far more likely for the mother than the father to accept a lower paying career path in exchange for more flexibility to be able to care for the children.

Old 05-01-2012, 12:53 PM

3,417 posts, read 3,071,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
Doesn't this describe any thread on this forum?
I guess you're right

Old 05-01-2012, 12:54 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,023,289 times
Quote:
Like many people I can acknowledge that there is a pay gap between men and women.
Agree but when all things are equal it's minimal.

Quote:
But the question is why?
There is a variety of reasons starting off with how these statistics with wide margins are calculated. They are based on the average of the whole population without any consideration to other factors.

The single biggest factor is children, women are more likely to leave their careers to have children and care for them which leaves them with less experience than their male counterparts.

Women are more likely to choose careers that pay less.....

Men are more likely to work overtime and weekends......

These things amongst others drive down the average wages of the female population as a whole.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies