Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2012, 10:41 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,118,333 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Oh Lordy. Nothing the government runs is less expensive in the long run. Shouldn't we all know that by now?
Stop being so shortsighted. How do you think we became such a mobile nation if not for the massive investments in roads and our interstate system? What about telecommunications? What about aviation? You have a narrow view of what is really less expensive in the long run.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2012, 01:17 AM

1,569 posts, read 2,044,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
Lefties scream about the cost of the military but cheer on a field full of mirrors paid for by the DOD. Yippee.
For some reason, our military doesn't want to be reliant on foreign energy sources coming from unstable regions of the world... Quite mysterious.

Old 05-02-2012, 07:29 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,703,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dv1033 View Post
Stop being so shortsighted. How do you think we became such a mobile nation if not for the massive investments in roads and our interstate system? What about telecommunications? What about aviation? You have a narrow view of what is really less expensive in the long run.
Absolutely.
This country has been hobbled in recent decades by people who see only as far as the next quarter and have forgotten the importance of laying the groundwork for the future.

Old 05-02-2012, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rimmerama View Post
For some reason, our military doesn't want to be reliant on foreign energy sources coming from unstable regions of the world... Quite mysterious.
Indeed.

Old 05-02-2012, 07:36 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
FWIW -
The Big Dig is a vast improvement on the Green Monster it replaced. I use it twice a day during part of my commute and greatly appreciate the investment. It is far more useful than another Navy Carrier Group or the Air Force's F-35 Boondoggle.

ALSO: Not using solar power in New Mexico is just plain stupid.

Old 05-02-2012, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Since the OP states this is is his/her backyard perhaps he/she would like to let us know what the average cost per kW is on his/her monthly bill on grid?

from the linked story:

How many years until that "savings" claimed in this article is realized? I know that in my part of the country electricity is still relatively cheap. Looking at my most recent electric bill it is $0.12/kWh.

I know what I pay, but, I honestly don't know if WSMR is on the same grid as they are on the opposite side of the mountains, nor would I expect that even if they are, that they are paying the same rates.

The installation is located in a relatively desolate area and obviously while they do currently have electricity, etc. any expansion of current services is very expensive due to their location. It makes all kinds of sense for them to get as much off grid as possible.

In case anyone is wondering, this is the base where the Bataan Memorial Death March is commemorated each year. If you have done that marathon/walk, you know how incredibly inhospitable and isolated the area is.

Old 05-02-2012, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
FWIW -
The Big Dig is a vast improvement on the Green Monster it replaced. I use it twice a day during part of my commute and greatly appreciate the investment. It is far more useful than another Navy Carrier Group or the Air Force's F-35 Boondoggle.

ALSO: Not using solar power in New Mexico is just plain stupid.
Well, yeah.

Old 05-02-2012, 07:47 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,678,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
And, in my "backyard" too

Very cool.

"White Sands Missile Range leaders came out to break ground and to commemorate the start of a renewable energy project at the site of the new Solar Photo Voltaic Array Project, the Army's largest solar array, April 19 at WSMR.
"It's a great day, exciting for us in the Army," he said. "It is obvious when you live here that this is the right place for (a solar array), here in New Mexico and here at WSMR. Folks coming down the hill will get to see the work that goes on here every day and understand and see the Army's commitment to going green and to be net zero and doing what we can for the environment.""

Army's largest solar array breaks ground - Las Cruces Sun-News

H/T to Operation Free.
Wasting borrowed taxpayer money on green energy is what Obama does.

Old 05-02-2012, 07:57 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,678,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rimmerama View Post
So instead they are going to rely on the fickle nature of the weather, and the deterioration from the continuous actions of blowing sand, and rain storms.

Old 05-02-2012, 08:09 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,123,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dv1033 View Post
That wasn't the claim. The claim is that the a "government run" solar array will be cheaper in the long term. My counterclaim is that nothing that the government "runs" is cheaper in the long run. No one is saying that investments shouldn't be made. I'm only saying that those investments don't necessarily equate into "cheaper" when the government is involved. With unfunded mandates more than ~$100 Trillion, it's clear that government is not the "cheaper" option. Everyone should know that by now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies