Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2012, 02:10 AM

1,126 posts, read 2,692,731 times

Advertisements

The American government and the corporations have no problem in making agreements with dictatorships, either the Islamic ones or the communist ones (China, Vietnam). Yet, the old Helms Burton is still working. If the embargo was lifted any American could travel directly to Cuba instead of crossing the border to Canada and Mexico and taking a flight from there. That would soften the relationships, there's no better way to undermine a dictatorship than letting people interact with its citziens, especially those who come from a country painted as the eternal enemy by the Cuban propaganda.

It's always been said that it had been done for electoral interests in taking the exile's vote, as Florida is a swinging state. However, mos of the old, hardcore anti-Castro Cubans of Miami are dead by now, and the new generations don't have that remorse against the dictatorship. I certainly believe they are more interested in other issues, and the Cuba question is not their main concern.

Anyone else agrees?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2012, 02:43 AM

327 posts, read 644,426 times
Cuban cigars are expensive enough. My vote is no!

Old 05-02-2012, 02:50 AM

9,138 posts, read 5,802,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Budke View Post
Cuban cigars are expensive enough. My vote is no!

The embargo is a relic of the cold war and it's time
is long past. Cuba is no threat to anyone but its
own people. Ironically, Cuban cigars are cheaper
now than they would be if the embargo was ended.

Old 05-02-2012, 02:51 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,862,130 times
It is an isolationist policy that goes against what are founders preached and it hurts the peoples purchasing power in Cuba since they have a smaller market to choose from.

Old 05-02-2012, 02:55 AM

327 posts, read 644,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speleothem View Post
The embargo is a relic of the cold war and it's time
is long past. Cuba is no threat to anyone but its
own people. Ironically, Cuban cigars are cheaper
now than they would be if the embargo was ended.
I don't know man, they're like $25 each in Dubai.

Old 05-02-2012, 06:57 AM

12,755 posts, read 9,646,362 times
I agree. I just don't understand why this policy is still in place.
After all, China is a communist country and we certainly do plenty of business with them!

Maybe after all this time no one knows how to end the embargo gracefully, or without losing 'face'? If that's the case, it's pretty stupid, but that never stopped anyone LOL.

After all, it's only been, what, 50 years or so?

Old 05-02-2012, 06:58 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,109,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
I agree. I just don't understand why this policy is still in place.
After all, China is a communist country and we certainly do plenty of business with them!

Maybe after all this time no one knows how to end the embargo gracefully, or without losing 'face'? If that's the case, it's pretty stupid, but that never stopped anyone LOL.

After all, it's only been, what, 50 years or so?

Pretty much a fail, IMHO. Castro has gone his merry way in spite of it.

Old 05-02-2012, 06:59 AM

12,711 posts, read 13,477,762 times
It's a bad policy. If Obama is re-elected, I think he will pursue normalization of relations.

Old 05-02-2012, 07:04 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,450,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasdrubal View Post
The American government and the corporations have no problem in making agreements with dictatorships, either the Islamic ones or the communist ones (China, Vietnam). Yet, the old Helms Burton is still working. If the embargo was lifted any American could travel directly to Cuba instead of crossing the border to Canada and Mexico and taking a flight from there. That would soften the relationships, there's no better way to undermine a dictatorship than letting people interact with its citziens, especially those who come from a country painted as the eternal enemy by the Cuban propaganda.

It's always been said that it had been done for electoral interests in taking the exile's vote, as Florida is a swinging state. However, mos of the old, hardcore anti-Castro Cubans of Miami are dead by now, and the new generations don't have that remorse against the dictatorship. I certainly believe they are more interested in other issues, and the Cuba question is not their main concern.

Anyone else agrees?
As long as Castro lives, the US will not allow commerce between the US and Cuba. We have a bit of a problem with nations that park nukes 90 miles off our coast and point them at us. I guess we are just funny that way.

Old 05-02-2012, 07:04 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,778,277 times
The embargo is in place to prevent a collapse in the values of antique automobiles as Cubans are still driving 1950's cars. This is the only reason I can think of unless United Fruit still has political power and has never forgiven losing its slave operated sugar plantations.

I think we should open full diplomatic relations an put Cuba on a Most Favored Nation trade status. I would like to see what the place is like.

FWIW the nukes are gone but the Russian tourists are still there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies