Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2012, 02:12 PM

2,112 posts, read 2,596,120 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Oh yea? Just how open are they? I mean, i lived in Georgia for a little over a year in what was considered a pretty racist part of the state, and i saw the same surreptitious and sneaky kind of racism that i found everywhere else. And everywhere else i've been in the South has been the same damn way.
This is dead on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2012, 02:30 PM

3,457 posts, read 3,622,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynight View Post
This is dead on.
So when did rural Georgia become a bastion of liberal hipsterdom?

Please excuse my skepticism at the claim.

Old 05-02-2012, 02:37 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,189,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cletus Awreetus-Awrightus View Post

I never said that it was.

My problem was with this claim that you made:

Quote:
Where I'm from , people are pretty open regarding how they feel about various races or groups. There is not so much fear of stereotyping people.
I was rejecting that statement. Again, i've never been anywhere yet where this was true. Everywhere i've been the overwhelming majority of people are weasels on the topic of race and stereotyping and where you're from is no different.

Old 05-02-2012, 02:40 PM

3,457 posts, read 3,622,568 times
Quote:
I never said that it was.

My problem was with this claim that you made:

I was rejecting that statement. Again, i've never been anywhere yet where this was true. Everywhere i've been the overwhelming majority of people are weasels on the topic of race and stereotyping and where you're from is no different.
I don't know what you mean by "Weasels." We're talking about people who hold negative views of other races, but are shamed into pretending otherwise out of a sense of political correctness.

And yes, where I'm from, people are pretty open about how they feel about blacks, or anyone else. The word "racist" isn't even in their vocabulary.

Old 05-02-2012, 02:47 PM

2,112 posts, read 2,596,120 times
Quote:

The sneaky part of racism. Your acting like this is something confined to the blue states, believe me if happens in good old dixie as well. Truth is it happens all over America. BTW, settle down this is only the Internet. Do not take yourself so seriously.

Old 05-02-2012, 02:53 PM

Quote:
I don't know what you mean by "Weasels." We're talking about people who hold negative views of other races, but are shamed into pretending otherwise out of a sense of political correctness.

And yes, where I'm from, people are pretty open about how they feel about blacks, or anyone else. The word "racist" isn't in the vocabulary.
That's everybody. I mean, if i go into a grocery store in any part of America and the person on the register treats me nice, should i assume they like black people? C'mon...get real. They might actually HATE black people! And yet, i doubt i'd be treated as if they feel that way. That's not necessarily out of political correctness (that term is overused), but because to actually act as if they don't like black people is frowned upon.

As far as where you're from, again, i don't buy it. Open how? They go up to the blacks and tell them their true feelings? Where in the hell do folks do that at? I've never seen it, and i've been in some pretty racist areas of the country.

The rule that just about everyone lives by is live and let live....unless you're a troublemaking idiot, and that'll get you hurt if you say the wrong thing to the wrong person. If you have some negative stereotype about some group or race, common sense tells most clear minded people to keep it to themselves or express it in the company of like-minded people.

I'm 46 years old and i've yet to have someone say something to me that was intentionally racially insensitive with the purpose of putting me in my place or trying to show how they won't be "politically correct" for anybody. Intentionally being the operative word. The reason for that is simple...it's just not something that most people do.

Old 05-02-2012, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynight View Post
The sneaky part of racism. Your acting like this is something confined to the blue states, believe me if happens in good old dixie as well. Truth is it happens all over America. BTW, settle down this is only the Internet. Do not take yourself so seriously.
Of COURSE it happens in the South. In fact, they have the most genteel form of racism known to man. Everyone just stays in their place down there, avoids rocking the boat, and acts as if everything is wonderful. And i mean both blacks and whites.

Look at some of the old interview footage of southern whites during the Civil Rights Era, and listen to them say how everything was ok until the "agitators" showed up. LOL...and the sad thing is that they really believed that stuff.

Old 05-02-2012, 03:00 PM

3,502 posts, read 3,134,181 times
Quote:
Of COURSE it happens in the South. In fact, they have the most genteel form of racism known to man. Everyone just stays in their place down there, avoids rocking the boat, and acts as if everything is wonderful. And i mean both blacks and whites.

Look at some of the old interview footage of southern whites during the Civil Rights Era, and listen to them say how everything was ok until the "agitators" showed up. LOL...and the sad thing is that they really believed that stuff.
The sad thing is, I'm sure some still do.

Old 05-02-2012, 04:57 PM

2,904 posts, read 6,915,579 times
It's obvious that the writer of the blog falls into her own "white people suck" category of racist hipster.

I'd like to know how the author "benefits" from racism every day. Maybe she does, but I guess my white bonus card was lost in the mail, since I've had to work hard and take risks to get in a somewhat good place in life.

Old 05-02-2012, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by destinedtodave View Post
It's obvious that the writer of the blog falls into her own "white people suck" category of racist hipster.

I'd like to know how the author "benefits" from racism every day. Maybe she does, but I guess my white bonus card was lost in the mail, since I've had to work hard and take risks to get in a somewhat good place in life.
(Shrugs shoulders)

....which would make you no different from the majority of Americans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies