Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2012, 01:26 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times

Advertisements

I've a middle aged white woman and I've rarely been to a National Park either. I've lived a few hours from Yosemite my whole life and never been. I'm just more of an indoorsy person than an outdoorsy person. My family wasn't into camping or hiking or looking at trees so growing up I never developed a taste for it. That's the bottom line no matter what color you are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2012, 01:29 PM

347 posts, read 695,859 times
Many cultures do not associate roughing it with vacation. And actually paying to "rough it" is an even stranger concept. I'm from a culture like that and am not African American. I am however doing the Inca Trail in a few weeks ie paying to rough it....but I'm assuming the stunning Andes scenery would make up for the roughing it aspect. Ideally I would have done the trail and stayed in a luxury lodge somewhere along the way but finances don't permit.

Old 05-03-2012, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewitchisback View Post
Many cultures do not associate roughing it with vacation. And actually paying to "rough it" is an even stranger concept. I'm from a culture like that and am not African American. I am however doing the Inca Trail in a few weeks ie paying to rough it....but I'm assuming the stunning Andes scenery would make up for the roughing it aspect. Ideally I would have done the trail and stayed in a luxury lodge somewhere along the way but finances don't permit.
I always said my idea of "roughing it" was a Motel 6.

Old 05-03-2012, 01:35 PM

3,425 posts, read 6,309,332 times
Quote:
What the hell are you talking about? What the hell does culture have to do with not being interested wanting to know the country you live in? I would call it a very "ignorant" culture!

I have been to many National Parks and most of the time you can see some of the most amazing landscapes, animals and incredible beauty from the comfort of your air conditioned SUV.

Where do people get this idea that if they go to a NP, they will be in the middle of some wilderness like going on an African Safari?

I went to Badlands NP a couple weeks ago and just the experience of seeing buffalo in the wild is priceless! I also ended up seeing mountain goats for the first time and had an encounter with a herd of pronghorn antilopes, all these moments at least to me, were PRICELESS!

Everytime I go to a National Park, I feel like I am driving through a movie set because these places are so surreal and so incredibly beautiful!

Old 05-03-2012, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repubocrat View Post
What the hell are you talking about? I have been to many National Parks and most of the time you can see some of the most amazing landscapes, animals and incredible beauty from the comfort of your air conditioned SUV.

Where do people get this idea that if they go to a NP, they will be in the middle of some wilderness like going on an African Safari?

I went to Badlands NP a couple weeks ago and just the experience of seeing buffalo in the wild is priceless! I also ended up seeing mountain goats for the first time and had an encounter with a herd of pronghorn antilopes, all these moments at least to me, were PRICELESS!

Everytime I go to a National Park, I feel like I am driving through a movie set because these places are so surreal and so incredibly beautiful!
If you're into that stuff it's great.

Old 05-03-2012, 01:45 PM

8,653 posts, read 6,133,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
You continue to show why you're not in my league. You should give up while you can still save face.

You couldn't answer the NCO question because the logic of it went over your head. If you say that all black EM's are slackers, but not NCO's when black NCO's come from the ranks of black EM's, then you're toast. You're backed into a cement corner from which there is no escape.

And even the Africa question, which i broke down in a simple fashion, went over your head. How did i overlook the parts of Africa where blacks aren't native to when i said "the part where black people ARE!" I mean, you can't fathom that? Not to mention that if you completed 7th grade, you'd know that African Americans are by and large descendants of West Africans. And West Africa has a host of countries.

That's like me going up to an Irish American and asking them what county of Ireland did they come from, and then ask them to give me the particular street address of the home of their ancestors. You'd have to be BIG TIME obtuse to even ask such a stupid ass question.

Lastly, you continuously offer up your views on black culture, yet get angry just because i won't bite. It's simple...i don't give a damn about what you think. I mean, if you don't like black culture, what can you do about it but complain bitterly on websites? Makes you look like a lunatic. Calm down and compose yourself dude.

In any case....moving on.
There is no way this guy can save face. With his ridiculously bias observations of black culture, racist rants and dodging of all legitimate questions I don’t see that happening. It’s pretty funny how most these types of people who are self declared experts on black cultures and experiences couldn’t tell their own ass from a hole in the ground.

With his statements I’m pretty sure he probably didn’t even bother to congregate with any black person in his unit.

Old 05-03-2012, 02:23 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHABAZZ310 View Post
There is no way this guy can save face. With his ridiculously bias observations of black culture, racist rants and dodging of all legitimate questions I don’t see that happening. It’s pretty funny how most these types of people who are self declared experts on black cultures and experiences couldn’t tell their own ass from a hole in the ground.

With his statements I’m pretty sure he probably didn’t even bother to congregate with any black person in his unit.
That's IF he actually served.

But i already aired that dude out....he couldn't take the heat any longer.

These racist types....i swear, thank God for the internet because before it came into existence, you'd never believe that people harbor such hatred.

Old 05-03-2012, 02:43 PM

487 posts, read 1,816,305 times
As a Black person, I really have no interest in taking a vacation to a national park-and I am an outdoor person-I cycle, hike, run, play lawn tennis etc. When it comes time for vacation, we usually head to the Caribbean. I do visit our local parks quite often though. Maybe someday I will -I lived in NYC for 20 years and never visited the Statue of Liberty-just never wanted to.

Old 05-03-2012, 02:48 PM

347 posts, read 695,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repubocrat View Post
What the hell are you talking about? What the hell does culture have to do with not being interested wanting to know the country you live in? I would call it a very "ignorant" culture!

I have been to many National Parks and most of the time you can see some of the most amazing landscapes, animals and incredible beauty from the comfort of your air conditioned SUV.

Some cultures have no interest in nature and find cultures that do puzzling. Deal with it. If you see it as ignorant so be it. There's tons of things I also find ignorant about white American culture.

Old 05-03-2012, 04:04 PM

3,425 posts, read 6,309,332 times
Quote:
Some cultures have no interest in nature and find cultures that do puzzling. Deal with it. If you see it as ignorant so be it. There's tons of things I also find ignorant about white American culture.
What kind of ignorant, stupid culture would put no emphasis on expanding horizons, widening your worldview and most importantly, getting to know the surroundings and country we live in?

Usually, when I go to a National Park, I see people from Japan, China and Europe, people who traveled thousands of miles to see places like the Grand Canyon, Yellowstone, or Denali NP.

I think any culture or person who has an ounce of intelligence would be naturally inclined to want to investigate and better know the country and surroundings they live in. No?

What do you guys do? Stay in the same ethnic ghetto for your entire lives and never venture out because you do not feel comfortable around a non-ethnic environment? I can't believe some of the stuff I am reading here. Pathetic!

Last edited by Repubocrat; 05-03-2012 at 04:14 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies