Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2012, 01:04 AM

38,642 posts, read 26,378,527 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHABAZZ310 View Post
That’s a dumb comparison. Bears, tigers and lions aren’t domesticated animals.

Brutus, the pet grizzly bear - YouTube

Tiger Tranquilized and Removed from Apartment

What's dunb is rolling the dice with any of these animals, to include pitbulls.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2012, 01:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
^This.

Pit bulls are the hot breed right now for people who want to train attack dogs and fighting dogs. My family had 2 pits that were the sweetest dogs I've ever met. People don't know how to treat or train dogs properly.
"Police say the two-year-old unneutered pit bull believed to be responsible was hovering around the woman, who had major injuries to her upper body and face. It has since emerged Napora was a member of Bay Area Dog Lovers Responsible About Pit Bulls, a group that does its best to convince people that pit bulls aren't really that dangerous."

Pregnant Pitbull Advocate Mauled to Death by Her Beloved Pet

Old 05-10-2012, 01:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
You are 100% wrong in your assessments.

You are 100% correct in your assessment.

Yes, it's certainly true that temperament is herditary, but it all starts with bad owners who don't have the vaguest idea how to train a dog and make sure only good temperament is bred. That is true of any breed, but pit owners/breeders seem to be the lowest of the low when it comes to human society.

I raised and showed dogs for many years (not AmStaffs) and edited a breed specific magazine. I did a completely random survey where I called vets scattered around the country and asked them which breed they and their staffs were most afraid of. The majority, without hesitation, said, "Cocker Spaniels." AmStaffs/Pitties were not mentioned by a single vet.

Ever hear of anyone being killed by the family Cocker Spaniel?

Old 05-10-2012, 01:16 AM

1,122 posts, read 3,505,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stycotl View Post

that is in comparison to 1,100 children killed by their parents every year in the same country,
Clearly parents are more dangerous than Pitbulls. Maybe we should determine parents to be inherently dangerous as well. That would make about as much sense.

Old 05-10-2012, 01:41 AM

3,236 posts, read 3,938,592 times
I disagree they're inherently dangerous, some pitbulls are gentle as a lamb and can be raised to be gentle but most of the people who own them in reality are thugs who want a pitbull for protection or just to be intimidating and don't train them properly or purposely try to make them aggressive. I wish they were doing more to more heavily regulate pitbull breeding and sales to keep the scumbag profiteers who inbreed and abuse these animals out.

Old 05-10-2012, 01:56 AM

12,770 posts, read 11,564,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tluv00 View Post
You are absolutely right but the problem was that people could "ignore" those leash laws and the burden was on the victim. Now it's on the owner and the law is meant to curtail that. You say the owners are responsible but you have a problem with them being held accountable?
I don't see how this law holds people more accountable than they would have been otherwise. I think these laws just make the problem worse, because when people view a breed as dangerous they treat them differently. They won't socialize, they won't let it interact with kids, neighbors, friends or other dogs, which will exacerbate the problem. Pits especially crave human interaction and companionship. When this is denied, they suffer and their behavior becomes unpredictable.
Humans love a demon, it's gives their lives meaning to fight the evil forces. Pits are not that force, ignorant people are.
What they could do is mandate spay and neuter, I.D tags with responsible parties name and phone. All dogs are to be registered and up to date on shots. They could hold mandatory obedience classes for all dogs 3 to 6 months old. Enforce noice ordinances (incessant barking). Hold people responsible, because dogs are a mirror reflection of their owners. Dogs need to be taught what is expected of them, they don't come trained.

Old 05-10-2012, 02:00 AM

9,138 posts, read 5,803,654 times
Personally, I wouldn't own one, but I also
think it's silly to single out a specific breed.

Old 05-10-2012, 02:05 AM

12,770 posts, read 11,564,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhenomenalAJ View Post
I disagree they're inherently dangerous, some pitbulls are gentle as a lamb and can be raised to be gentle but most of the people who own them in reality are thugs who want a pitbull for protection or just to be intimidating and don't train them properly or purposely try to make them aggressive. I wish they were doing more to more heavily regulate pitbull breeding and sales to keep the scumbag profiteers who inbreed and abuse these animals out.
Exactly, the more fear-mongering surrounds this breed, the more idiots are going to want one. They get them for protection, image or guard their dope, only to find out that they make terrible guard dogs, because they love people.
The dogs that scare me are Akita's and Chows.

Old 05-10-2012, 09:21 AM

10,564 posts, read 12,820,368 times
ONE CHILD'S LIFE..is more important than a billion dogs.

Old 05-10-2012, 09:25 AM

5,524 posts, read 9,939,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claudhopper View Post
I don't see how this law holds people more accountable than they would have been otherwise. I think these laws just make the problem worse, because when people view a breed as dangerous they treat them differently. They won't socialize, they won't let it interact with kids, neighbors, friends or other dogs, which will exacerbate the problem. Pits especially crave human interaction and companionship. When this is denied, they suffer and their behavior becomes unpredictable.
Humans love a demon, it's gives their lives meaning to fight the evil forces. Pits are not that force, ignorant people are.
What they could do is mandate spay and neuter, I.D tags with responsible parties name and phone. All dogs are to be registered and up to date on shots. They could hold mandatory obedience classes for all dogs 3 to 6 months old. Enforce noice ordinances (incessant barking). Hold people responsible, because dogs are a mirror reflection of their owners. Dogs need to be taught what is expected of them, they don't come trained.
Quote:
Now the law finds pit bull owners throughout Maryland absolutely accountable for the behavior of their dogs.
U.S. News - Maryland court finds pit bulls are 'inherently dangerous'
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies