Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2012, 09:11 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,452,578 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_windwalker View Post
Sorry folks, but as far as I'm concerned, all this bru-ha-ha about guns is completely idiotic. Lock the front door to the barn and nail it shut, but don't even put the back door in the hinges.

1. In one day, I can produce half a dozen guns that are just as lethal as anything bought in a store. Might be only single shot, but you want that first one in your head? (I don't) And, the ammo is actually cheaper at Lowe's or Home Depot. Discarded car batteries have all sorts of lead in them.

2. The controls pertain to "FIRE"arms. They now have pellet guns that can drop a moose, but it's not a "FIRE"arm. It uses compressed air or CO2. Not covered, but if it can drop a moose, what can it do to another person?

3. Try a "POWERHAMMER". You know... The ones that can drive a nail into solid concrete. Hold it horizontal, about 20 feet from a wall, and hit it with a hammer. Ok, it's not as accurate.

If someone wants a gun bad enough, THEY'LL HAVE ONE, regardless what the law says or how well the "system" works.
As someone who has dropped a few moose, I can assure you that you will require at least 2,000 foot pounds of energy to do so with one shot. A .3006 has that much energy, if you are within about 150 yards, but you are not going to find a pellet or compressed air rifle with that kind of energy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2012, 09:28 AM

6,464 posts, read 13,440,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
As someone who has dropped a few moose, I can assure you that you will require at least 2,000 foot pounds of energy to do so with one shot. A .3006 has that much energy, if you are within about 150 yards, but you are not going to find a pellet or compressed air rifle with that kind of energy.
Meriwether Lewis took an air gun with him on his little trip and killed a bear with it once. Granted, I've never hunted moose so I don't know how they compare, but it seems to me that it'd still be possible.

Lewis and Clark History - Lewis's Air Rifle

Last edited by hamellr; 05-04-2012 at 09:31 AM.. Reason: Grammar

Old 05-04-2012, 09:35 AM

39,869 posts, read 26,508,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Apparently the OP has never filled out a form 4473. To lie on that form, including about one's mental state, is to commit a felony.

A firearm is just a tool. In the hands of the same mentally ill individual an axe, a kitchen knife, a baseball bat, a golf club, or a car, can be just as lethal. If the OP has a point should be make it illegal for Obama to pick up a golf club? Afterall, pathological narcissism is a mental disorder.

If someone is such a threat to society that he/she cannot legally purchase a firearm then why are they on the streets instead of locked up as criminally insane?

They always could. Most of them instead just hire personal security 24/7 instead. Just ask Chicago's former Mayor Daley.
I'm glad to see that someone finally pointed that out. Anyone "adjudicated mentally incompetant" IIRC is the term used on the 4473, is not able to legally purchase a firearm. This is FEDERAL LAW, and has been so for decades.

Now...since this is a federal law, do the states even have the right to make and enforce laws that mirror this one? Lots of people are arguing that states can not do so in other cases.

Old 05-04-2012, 09:44 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,841,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frugality View Post
The new gun rights motto should be "A society in which the psychotic and paranoid can carry guns is a civilized society" How did it work out for the mentally ill guy in Arizona last year?

Illinois FOID card system for buying guns and ammo is broken, state audit finds - chicagotribune.com
loughner had never been adjudicated as mentally incompetent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
So what kind of mental illness removes a person of his/her Constitutional Rights? Any at all? Even if the mentally ill individual has never harmed a fly?
any mental illness can prevent one from purchasing a firearm. my uncle was declared mentally incompetent after he left the CIA, and for good reason, and thus he was not allowed to own a firearm, or even have one in his house.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_windwalker View Post
Sorry folks, but as far as I'm concerned, all this bru-ha-ha about guns is completely idiotic. Lock the front door to the barn and nail it shut, but don't even put the back door in the hinges.

1. In one day, I can produce half a dozen guns that are just as lethal as anything bought in a store. Might be only single shot, but you want that first one in your head? (I don't) And, the ammo is actually cheaper at Lowe's or Home Depot. Discarded car batteries have all sorts of lead in them.

2. The controls pertain to "FIRE"arms. They now have pellet guns that can drop a moose, but it's not a "FIRE"arm. It uses compressed air or CO2. Not covered, but if it can drop a moose, what can it do to another person?

3. Try a "POWERHAMMER". You know... The ones that can drive a nail into solid concrete. Hold it horizontal, about 20 feet from a wall, and hit it with a hammer. Ok, it's not as accurate.

If someone wants a gun bad enough, THEY'LL HAVE ONE, regardless what the law says or how well the "system" works.
in the end you dont really even need a firearm. my uncle always preferred a machette over a firearm.

Old 05-04-2012, 09:51 AM

78,417 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamellr View Post
Meriwether Lewis took an air gun with him on his little trip and killed a bear with it once. Granted, I've never hunted moose so I don't know how they compare, but it seems to me that it'd still be possible.

^^^Beat me to it.

Old 05-04-2012, 11:20 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,452,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamellr View Post

It must have been of cub, or the bear died of a heart-attack, because the Girandoni Air Rifle fires a .46 caliber round that could only produce 390 foot pounds of energy at the muzzle. Which is about the same energy as a M1911 .45 ACP. While that might be adequate to stop a human-being (at very close range), I would not advise using anything that pathetic against a bear, unless it was a very small or sickly bear.

Old 05-04-2012, 11:30 AM

5,767 posts, read 5,015,185 times
Ah, you have to love the Right Wing...first Reagan turns the mentally ill out on the streets, and now folks think they should be armed. Gotta love that kind of logic.

Old 05-04-2012, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
It must have been of cub, or the bear died of a heart-attack, because the Girandoni Air Rifle fires a .46 caliber round that could only produce 390 foot pounds of energy at the muzzle. Which is about the same energy as a M1911 .45 ACP. While that might be adequate to stop a human-being (at very close range), I would not advise using anything that pathetic against a bear, unless it was a very small or sickly bear.
They got in a lucky shot on a younger (not cub) bear despite warnings by the indians not to fudge with the bears.

Their diary noted something along the lines that the Indians must just have older weaker wheapons and thus overestimated the bears which would apparantly not be a problem for them.

About 2 weeks later they tried again and the bear came within inches of killing several party members taking shot after shot while keeping on coming. Several had to jump off a high embankment into the river to escape, climb trees etc. It eventually succumbed. The diary entry noted their new found appreciation for the bears hardiness and that they wouldn't be repeating their mistake in the future.

(forgive me if I got some of this wrong, but the gist is there)

Old 05-04-2012, 11:43 AM

39,869 posts, read 26,508,031 times
One thing to keep in mind, Chicago's ban on handgun ownership never applied to elected officials. They were exempted from the laws regular citizens have to follow, and were always allowed a means of defending themsevelves.

I have less to fear from a psycopath possessing a firearm than a Chicago politician. Not there is much difference.

Old 05-04-2012, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evenstar51 View Post
Ah, you have to love the Right Wing...first Reagan turns the mentally ill out on the streets, and now folks think they should be armed. Gotta love that kind of logic.
Educate yourself....
HOW RELEASE OF MENTAL PATIENTS BEGAN - NYTimes.com

Had you read the article, no one things they should be armed. The article is pointing out the governments failings.

Yeah, I gotta love your logic...you know, where you make up everything and then draw conclusions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies