Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2012, 06:21 AM

8,652 posts, read 17,234,865 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
How do you know they are illegals?
How do you know they are not illegals?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2012, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB.Good View Post
I'm sorry, but what good paying jobs are illegals being hired for? Let's not act like there are recent grads losing out accounting jobs to illegals.
WOW..... they are taking the middle income jobs.....try starting with construction! Open your eyes, you can't miss it...

Old 05-06-2012, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
I knew this would morph into an Illegal Immigration discussion...
Well, it has a lot to do with why a lot Americans in general are out of work.

Old 05-06-2012, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
I noticed something last summer. My lawnmower was broken and so my grass did not get cut for three weeks until I purchased a new one. It struck me as funny that no teenager knocked on my door offering to cut my grass.

In the summer when I was a teenager, I used to walk down the street with my lawnmower in tow knocking on doors to see who needed their grass cut.

I did not get an allowance. We did not have much money. If I needed something extra, I had to earn it.

I just don't see that much anymore.
omt
You can blame that on the parents......

Old 05-06-2012, 06:59 AM

3,219 posts, read 7,079,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
There's a reason the USA is doomed and is having a tough time keeping up with other nations. Education and these far-fetched ideas that these an no other way is the way to learn, is a major driver. Just wait for another decade or two and see what happens.

If anything, a nephew of mine is smarter to have turned down an offer from UCLA. He did the math, and opted to go about his medicine in Australia. Smart move. Flipping burgers didn't teach him that.
Why do you think people can't learn and work at the same time? What about people who can't borrow money and have to earn it themselves? Should they not educate themselves at all, and be destined to a life of "flipping burgers"? And what's with the constant use of that term? Are you the type to scoff and not make eye contact with service workers because you're "too good"?

Old 05-06-2012, 07:27 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boycewv View Post
I think technology and just a different lifestyle. I put blame on parents for spoiling their kids.

<snip>

The thing that gets me is these 16 year olds driving around in a Lexus with no job, that's the parents fault for forking over the money.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
You can blame that on the parents......
When all else fails, blame the parents.

Old 05-06-2012, 07:29 AM

7,214 posts, read 9,390,397 times
If I was a teen today, I would focus more on doing "self employed" type work like lawn mowing, baby sitting, and that kind of thing. You can probably make more money and put up with less stress overall.

Old 05-06-2012, 07:30 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annika08 View Post
Why do you think people can't learn and work at the same time? What about people who can't borrow money and have to earn it themselves? Should they not educate themselves at all, and be destined to a life of "flipping burgers"? And what's with the constant use of that term? Are you the type to scoff and not make eye contact with service workers because you're "too good"?
It is pretty easy to get a student loan. It is pretty difficult to "work one's way" through college. That is part of American mythology, but it rarely happened even "back in the day" and with rising tuitions, etc it happens even less often now.

"Flipping burgers" is a metaphor for a low paying job.

Old 05-06-2012, 07:52 AM

12,905 posts, read 15,650,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
It is pretty easy to get a student loan. It is pretty difficult to "work one's way" through college. That is part of American mythology, but it rarely happened even "back in the day" and with rising tuitions, etc it happens even less often now.

"Flipping burgers" is a metaphor for a low paying job.

Yep. My daughter has a minimum wage job at the mall in her college town. The amount of money she earns barely touches her expenses. Granted, if she were living at home (supported by mommy) and attending community college (which she has done and finished), she could pay that tuition with a job. The 4-year university costs, plus housing---hmmm---$7.25 an hour doesn't cut it.

Old 05-06-2012, 07:55 AM

9,827 posts, read 6,932,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaseMan View Post
Yeah, I'm sure that must be it. How insiteful.
Working as a teen gives a kid a sense of accomplishment. It gives them a step forward into the adult world and teaches them the lessons we all take for granted that we learned only because we worked as teens. I worked as a teen and so did my children. We didn't need the money and I could have easily just handed it to them. At the time, my children thought that is what I should have done. They are now in there 30's and they realize the lessons that they learned at a young age. My children are all successful and are taxpayers. I promise you, you will not see any of them at an occupy protest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies