Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2012, 10:04 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,472,256 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
Life Inc. - A teen with a job becomes a rarity in US economy

What do you think will be the consequences for the future of the US economy from this change?
Immigrant teens will rise in the new economy and native-born teens won't. And when the immigrants have kids and their kids think they're too good for minimum wage jobs, the next wave of immigrants will do those jobs and rise.

[repeat]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2012, 11:26 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,617,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
Explain.

Also, are you comparing 2012 to the 1950s?

People must really be living in their own bubbles. Do you know how many jobs have been sent overseas? Sure, blame the illegals when there are millions of workers earning a dollar a day (if that) in other countries making almost everything we buy!

We had military coming home and needing a job.
Operation W.E.T.B.A.C.K. President IKE implemented, worked like a charm.

Old 05-08-2012, 12:07 AM

5,365 posts, read 6,336,999 times
This shouldn't be that shocking. Its not like rich people are trickling down any jobs.

Old 05-08-2012, 12:38 AM

14,492 posts, read 26,592,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB.Good View Post
Another perfect example of warped Conservative rhetoric that just circles back on itself.

You support off-shoring of jobs in the name of capitalism and corporate profits, then call the people who lose their jobs leeches. So in order to not be leeches, they get any job they can to pay their bills, even if that job is at a fast food restaurant.

So now when min wage needs to raised to allow these adults to support themselves so they're not dependent on the "gov't handouts," you complain about these adults taking jobs from kids.

And if these adults didn't want to work at McDonalds you'd once again call them lazy leeches for depending on the gov't.
^^this.

Plus, in some areas, some small business employers are quite unrealistic.

True story: a small restaurant owner complaining they cant find good waitresses to work a 15 hour work week, for under federal minimum ( wait-staff).

lol. greedy people want it both ways, they want their own business, but only want part time workers, and then how dare these kids want a living wage. With the price of gas a 15 hour work week is a wash.

Old 05-08-2012, 12:47 AM

14,492 posts, read 26,592,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
I noticed something last summer. My lawnmower was broken and so my grass did not get cut for three weeks until I purchased a new one. It struck me as funny that no teenager knocked on my door offering to cut my grass.

In the summer when I was a teenager, I used to walk down the street with my lawnmower in tow knocking on doors to see who needed their grass cut.

I did not get an allowance. We did not have much money. If I needed something extra, I had to earn it.

I just don't see that much anymore.
omt
there are middle aged white men doing that job now in east tennessee, to afford food and their mortgage.

This is the economy we are in.

Old 05-10-2012, 05:47 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,968,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
^^this.

Plus, in some areas, some small business employers are quite unrealistic.

True story: a small restaurant owner complaining they cant find good waitresses to work a 15 hour work week, for under federal minimum ( wait-staff).

Waitresses, on average, make far above full minimum wage. The tips must be proven to, in aggregate, at minimum, bring them up to 7.25. Only lousy waitresses fail to make far more.

Old 05-10-2012, 06:21 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,730,892 times
None of my kids were allowed to work in high school. Their "job" was school and their pay offs were scholarships. They certainly earned more money that way than working at MickeyDs.

I know many other parents who did the same thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies