Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2012, 01:16 PM

8,299 posts, read 8,605,754 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
A student in Nova Scotia has been suspended for wearing a T-shirt that had these words on it. "Life is wasted without Jesus". Some teacher had told him he shouldn't wear it and he was suspended when he did. The Superintendent of Schools said, in defense of the principal, that the kid used improper words on his shirt. She says that he could have said, "My life is enhanced with Jesus". I just don't see the real difference in these two sets of words. It appears to me that the kid didn't really declare anything that should have been so bad for other kids and the words of the Superintendent were any less pissing to an atheist or an Islamic.

If you can see the real difference in these two sets of words, please help me to understand.

Canadian Student Suspended Over Jesus T-Shirt Pledges to Wear it Again | Video | TheBlaze.com
Perhaps this example will help you:

Helene is wearing a t-shirt upon which is printed:
My life is enhanced with Allah.

Roy, on the other hand, is wearing a t-shirt upon which is printed:
Life is wasted without Allah.

What reaction did you have to each sentence?

Come on, Roy. You can do this. What's the difference in meaning? Think, Roy. Think!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2012, 03:38 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,264,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skoro View Post
First, maybe you could explain why this little incident has your knickers in a knot.
Just for you I will attempt to do that. This kid got thrown out of school because of his religious leanings. The Superintendent threw in words that would have been acceptable to the school which said little different than the words on his shirt did. I wonder how the rest of you would interpret the words of the obviously left leaning Superintendent so you could explain it all to me.

Old 05-05-2012, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enemy country View Post
What if it would have said life is wasted with Jesus? Not that I think that but zealots go over board.
This kid seems to be a Christian to me so he wouldn't wear what you suggest.

Old 05-05-2012, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Was he suspended for the shirt or because they TOLD him not to wear it and he did anyway?
The Superintendent wouldn't have been involved if it was because they told him not to wear it.

Old 05-05-2012, 03:42 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,669,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkatt View Post
The term "wasted" is a term used by many people to mean getting drunk or high on drugs.
That was my first thought.

Old 05-05-2012, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade52 View Post
Poor kid...

How will he find his way in life w/o his Jesus t-shirt?

So sad...

I guess you didn't see the part about him saying he would wear the shirt again this Monday when his suspension is over.

Old 05-05-2012, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkatt View Post
The term "wasted" is a term used by many people to mean getting drunk or high on drugs.
I think that using the name, Jesus, in conjunction with drugs may really never happen.

Old 05-05-2012, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by helenejen View Post
Perhaps this example will help you:

Helene is wearing a t-shirt upon which is printed:
My life is enhanced with Allah.

Roy, on the other hand, is wearing a t-shirt upon which is printed:
Life is wasted without Allah.

What reaction did you have to each sentence?

Come on, Roy. You can do this. What's the difference in meaning? Think, Roy. Think!!!
Quite a liberal twisting of words in your example. I don't think I will take your suggestion as anything other than what I say.

Old 05-05-2012, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
That was my first thought.
You don't really think that the use of Jesus with drugs would happen, do you? I think the kid is religious and didn't think like you say.

Old 05-05-2012, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
"Wasted" implies that life is completely worthless without Jesus. "Enhanced" implies that life has a value of its own, but that having Jesus in your life adds more. It's the difference between life having less value and life having no value without Jesus.
Thanks for attempting to talk seriously even though I don't agree with you. You are the only one who has really tried, up to now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies