Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2012, 02:21 PM

10,875 posts, read 13,811,333 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
So because of Jan Brewer's views that will affect the entire outcome of the presidential race? Since when does one person reflect the entire party's views?
AZ's attacks on women, the former AZ GOP official and neo-nazi that murdered 4 people the other day, another AZ GOP supporter that murdered someone reported yesterday, Arpaio and his birther crap, his top attorney getting disbarred..etc.
It's getting clear that AZ has gone completely off their rocker to the extreme right, and the people are watching.
AZ has been a solid bright red state for years, but as surprising as it sounds, has flipped into a swing state for the upcoming election with a strong possibility that Obama may win there. If he does, it's game over GOP.

The GOP doesn't seem to realize that going further and further to the right sure keeps rallying the goons, but they are completely shoving away independents, sane republicans, and moderate democrats, that ones that win or lose elections.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2012, 02:27 PM

14,810 posts, read 16,207,740 times
Notice the change in meme from "protecting women's health" (via free access to abortion) to "war on women"?

Old 05-05-2012, 02:28 PM

5,767 posts, read 5,015,185 times
Quote:
I prefer to think of it as a saving of human life rather than a war on women. If a woman doesn't want to get pregnant then she should take precautions not to get that way.
Does the male partner bear no responsibility? Why doesn't life begin at the time of ejaculation? It's a very one-sided law and way of thinking.

Old 05-05-2012, 02:31 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,317,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evenstar51 View Post
Does the male partner bear no responsibility? Why doesn't life begin at the time of ejaculation? It's a very one-sided law and way of thinking.
Absolutely he does! When a male and female agree to have sex and don't want a pregnancy to occur then one or both of them should disclose that they are protected from it.

Old 05-05-2012, 02:32 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,125,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clb10 View Post
Progressives:

What is the proper point of gestation in which it is acceptable to murder the fetus?
Radical right wingers...

What is the point of climbing into a private citizen's womb when your rally cry is for "smaller government"?

Why do you defend the fetus...in this case the egg, when you want to cut food stamps, health benefits and education? Oh, I know...the same old story...Save the Fetus, Screw the Child.

Last edited by sickofnyc; 05-05-2012 at 02:46 PM..

Old 05-05-2012, 02:34 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,949,941 times
I love Jan

Old 05-05-2012, 02:42 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
OK, I'm pretty pro-choice, but calculating pregnancy from the date of the LMP (last menstrual period) is SOP in obstetrics. Even the other methods, e.g. ultrasound, compare the size of the fetus to a standard that uses the LMP, e.g. a 16 week pregancy by ultrasound means 16 weeks from the LMP. Brewer's nuts, but this isn't the way to prove it.

Pregnancy Due Date Calculator : American Pregnancy Association

Pregnancy due date calculator - MayoClinic.com

Old 05-05-2012, 02:44 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,317,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
Radical right wingers...

What is the point of climbing into a private citizen's womb when your rally cry is for "smaller government"?

Why do you defend the fetus...in this case the egg, when you want o cut food stamps, health benefits and education? Oh, I know...the same old story...Save the Fetus, Screw the Child.
What does wanting a smaller government have to do with wanting human life respected and saved? Once fertilized it isn't just an egg by the way but a human life.

Who wants to cut food stamps, etc. from the truly needy?

Old 05-05-2012, 02:49 PM

5,767 posts, read 5,015,185 times
Quote:
Absolutely he does! When a male and female agree to have sex and don't want a pregnancy to occur then one or both of them should disclose that they are protected from it.
Then why aren't males included in these laws? Where is the hue and cry about deadbeat dads who choose to ignore their personal responsibility when an unwanted fetus is carried full term and born? The onus is all on the females; that makes it clearly a war on women as they're the ones forced to abide by these laws while the male partner continues on, his life uninterrupted. Sickofnyc is correct; it's protect the fetus but screw the child. How people can be blind to the breathtaking unfairness of these laws is...breathtaking. If the burden is to be carried by the female alone, then it's her choice regarding termination. Otherwise it's unethical and cruelly unfair.

Old 05-05-2012, 02:49 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,703,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
OK, I'm pretty pro-choice, but calculating pregnancy from the date of the LMP (last menstrual period) is SOP in obstetrics. Even the other methods, e.g. ultrasound, compare the size of the fetus to a standard that uses the LMP, e.g. a 16 week pregancy by ultrasound means 16 weeks from the LMP. Brewer's nuts, but this isn't the way to prove it.

Pregnancy Due Date Calculator : American Pregnancy Association

Pregnancy due date calculator - MayoClinic.com

Agreed.
I'm not sure how this would be different from how it is calculated now for the purposes of determining gestation.

Of course, that being said, no idea why the AZ legislature thought that they needed to make it law unless they really believe that doctors don't know what they are doing with regard to "womens' issues."

I guess I misunderstood all that hoopla about the government coming between patients and their doctors. I really thought that the general consensus was that it was bad, bad, bad.
Guess I was wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies