Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2012, 09:43 AM

834 posts, read 2,278,248 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trampass View Post
I firmly believe many people vote Democrat because they want to feel "cool.
Or maybe they just don't want to vote for someone who wants to replace big government with big religion.

For the record, I'm a registered independent. While I don't agree with the Dems method of big gov't, big taxes and essentially acting as an enabler for those who make bad choices in life, I'm also squirmy with the idea of big religion. It's funny that the R's seem to want the big relgion, as long as it's theirs. This is coming from the same people who nearly sh*t themselves when Obama was elected because he was going to force his Muslim beliefs on us. (We see how much that happened) I'm not okay with a president who makes decisions based on their personal religious beliefs on behalf of an entire nation compromised of a multitude of beliefs or lack thereof. I personally would have loved to see Huntsman end up on the ballot. A Republican who believes in evolution? Be still my heart. He didn't pander to the right wing nuts enough and he paid the price. Sad.

Last edited by Yankeerose00; 05-07-2012 at 09:53 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2012, 09:52 AM

9,982 posts, read 13,760,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theredsnowman View Post
If you are somebody who is against gay marriage you really deserve to be hoodwinked for joining with the fascist conservatives.
If two people love each other and want to get married, good for them. Life is short, be who you are, and be good to the one you love. No, I am not against gay marriage. It has no bearing on me, and like all couples, I wish them the best. My marriage has its rough spots at times, but I cannot imagine how it needs to be defended against gays.

My only point was, most truly rich GOP members are only posing as social conservatives to fleece their own flock. And the sheeple never seem to learn this.

Old 05-07-2012, 09:59 AM

Speaking of self-interest. I paid only 8.66% tax on a low six figure household income last year. That strikes me as absurd given the financial straights we are in and the wars,etc. That cannot be correct.

I would be willing to have my taxes rise to 12-15% for the next ten years, so that my son does not have to pay 35% to pay for my wrinkly azz and the rest of the boomers. Short term buck are not the only things that matter. It is called caring about your country and being able to see cause and effect and to read trajectories. Being part of something that I think makes things better for our own children is definitely self-interest. Giving to make things better for those you love is not self-defeating. Quite the opposite.

All the flag-waving "Tea Party Patriots" seem to have forgotten that optimism and belief in your country is what made this party great, not whining.

Old 05-07-2012, 10:05 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,886,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
I would be willing to have my taxes rise to 12-15% for the next ten years, so that my son does not have to pay 35% to pay for my wrinkly azz and the rest of the boomers. Short term buck are not the only things that matter. It is called caring about your country and being able to see cause and effect and to read trajectories. Being part of something that I think makes things better for our own children is definitely self-interest. Giving to make things better for those you love is not self-defeating. Quite the opposite.
I would actually have some respect for Obama if he fought for rescinding all the Bush tax cuts instead of merely engaging in class warfare. Of course, he does not have the political capital to do that even if he wished. We Americans want to eat our cake and keep it to.

Old 05-07-2012, 10:05 AM

45,226 posts, read 26,437,203 times
Quote:
Speaking of self-interest. I paid only 8.66% tax on a low six figure household income last year. That strikes me as absurd given the financial straights we are in and the wars,etc. That cannot be correct.

All the flag-waving "Tea Party Patriots" seem to have forgotten that optimism and belief in your country is what made this party great, not whining.
You are so caring you're willing to advocate for the government taking more of someone else's money to pay for the things you want

As far as thinking you didn't pay enough in taxes, feel free to write the treasury a check for the difference.

Old 05-07-2012, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
I would actually have some respect for Obama if he fought for rescinding all the Bush tax cuts instead of merely engaging in class warfare. Of course, he does not have the political capital to do that even if he wished. We Americans want to eat our cake and keep it to.
I think this is the basic problem. Your typical American is so juiced up on kool aid that they think they can have a popcorn party with the seed corn, and blame someone else. A sad state of affairs, and when people like Paul Ryan, who is a paid liar, try to cook the books people are more likely to vote along party lines than to expect an honest budget (say, by agreeing to Simpson-Bowles).

Old 05-07-2012, 10:32 AM

7,502 posts, read 5,751,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wade52 View Post
Lots of eligible voters in America pay almost no attention to the issues. Analyzing positions and sizing up policies requires some thought and effort.

The GOP has convinced millions of these "low information" voters that every election is about god, gays, and guns. It's a tactic that works with folks who'd buy (or gratefully receive) a singing bass as an x-mas gift.
For those of you who don't know what the coveted singing bass is...

Big Mouth Billy Bass - Take Me To The River singing fish - www.thepresentfinder.co.uk - YouTube

I think everyone should have one.. Based on your comment I wish everyone was giving them as gifts.. Our country wouldn't be in the $hitter..

Old 05-07-2012, 10:33 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,947,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankeerose00 View Post
Or maybe they just don't want to vote for someone who wants to replace big government with big religion.

For the record, I'm a registered independent. While I don't agree with the Dems method of big gov't, big taxes and essentially acting as an enabler for those who make bad choices in life, I'm also squirmy with the idea of big religion. It's funny that the R's seem to want the big relgion, as long as it's theirs. This is coming from the same people who nearly sh*t themselves when Obama was elected because he was going to force his Muslim beliefs on us. (We see how much that happened) I'm not okay with a president who makes decisions based on their personal religious beliefs on behalf of an entire nation compromised of a multitude of beliefs or lack thereof. I personally would have loved to see Huntsman end up on the ballot. A Republican who believes in evolution? Be still my heart. He didn't pander to the right wing nuts enough and he paid the price. Sad.
With all due respect, the religious aspect of the GOP is the shiny object (guns, gays and God) that they want the masses to be distracted by -- as they cut their services; raise their taxes (e.g. "skin in the game") and lower the rich's taxes; repeal laws that protect their jobs; and repeal laws that protect their health and environment.

The GOP is guided by protecting the rich as much as possible. One need only look at their policies to see it: e.g. trade Obama's request to extend unemployment benefits (which has historically been done without strings attached) for extending the Bush tax-cuts on the wealthy.

Old 05-07-2012, 01:37 PM

78,409 posts, read 60,579,949 times
Quote:
I think this is the basic problem. Your typical American is so juiced up on kool aid that they think they can have a popcorn party with the seed corn, and blame someone else. A sad state of affairs, and when people like Paul Ryan, who is a paid liar, try to cook the books people are more likely to vote along party lines than to expect an honest budget (say, by agreeing to Simpson-Bowles).
It's not just here.

Look at the wave of election results in Europe in the face of austerity measures.

Old 05-07-2012, 02:19 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,886,908 times
Quote:
There is probably little we agree upon politically, except for, I suspect, one thing; whatever programs we have need to be paid for. Somehow there needs to be a right, left and centrist push for Simpson-Bowles or something similar. Some centrist plan that will address our growing deficits that threaten us all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies