Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2012, 03:14 PM

14,810 posts, read 16,179,208 times

Advertisements

I see it as these blacks who say they no longer live on the plantation have grown beyond the enslaved victim mentality that so many blacks still have--and that Democrats subtly encourage--and have managed to make good lives for themselves. If that describes the "white man's superior culture", then so be it. I applaud them for having left it behind them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2012, 03:17 PM

8,091 posts, read 5,900,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
One of the more telling moments of recent cluelessness being perpetuated by so-called "black conservatives" is the attempt to use plantation metaphors to characterize their supposed ostracization by liberals and liberal Democrats in particular.

To me this self-righteous pity party by a group of generally well-heeled African-Americans, demonstrates a real disconnect from African American history and the African Americans in general, because it belittles what transpired in the antebellum slave culture of the U.S to the point of caricature.

Slave Punishments

Fugitive Slaves

When I think of this analogy that "so-called" black conservatives are unleashing upon the public, I can only think of the reaction that would be created by comparing themselves to Holocaust victims, but then again if they really want the all out pity party, hell why not go for the whole enchilada?

Frankly, when the day comes that these poor abused politicians, pundits and academics, are chased from their middle to upper middle class existence and chased through the swamps, marshes and snow covered fields by bloodhounds and liberals horseback brandishing whips and chains to force them back into the menial jobs that far too many of their brethren toil at, then I might give them the time of day.
Is it OK when you use the term "disconnect from history" to replace it with "disregard of revision"??

Old 05-07-2012, 03:28 PM

9,189 posts, read 7,577,391 times
As long as you Republicans here keep spewing your bunk here about Black voters, I will continue to vote Democrat. You guys don't help your party at all. Such a shame.

Old 05-07-2012, 03:34 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,209,134 times
Quote:
One of the more telling moments of recent cluelessness being perpetuated by so-called "black conservatives" is the attempt to use plantation metaphors to characterize their supposed ostracization by liberals and liberal Democrats in particular.

To me this self-righteous pity party by a group of generally well-heeled African-Americans, demonstrates a real disconnect from African American history and the African Americans in general, because it belittles what transpired in the antebellum slave culture of the U.S to the point of caricature.

Slave Punishments

Fugitive Slaves

When I think of this analogy that "so-called" black conservatives are unleashing upon the public, I can only think of the reaction that would be created by comparing themselves to Holocaust victims, but then again if they really want the all out pity party, hell why not go for the whole enchilada?

Frankly, when the day comes that these poor abused politicians, pundits and academics, are chased from their middle to upper middle class existence and chased through the swamps, marshes and snow covered fields by bloodhounds and liberals horseback brandishing whips and chains to force them back into the menial jobs that far too many of their brethren toil at, then I might give them the time of day.
I think that we haven't read the same kinds of books about slavery. While I would have been very much against slavery in 1860, just as I am now, it really bothers me to see people using stories about abuse like that one link and never really want to discuss how people treat their animals.

When I was teaching I used to push kids into going wild about whipping and beating and always use the same analogy to make them think, just a bit. Since they were always mostly farm kids and their fathers bred cattle with prize bulls I liked to liken how they treated their bulls to how slave breeders did the same thing. They always agreed that their daddies didn't take 2 x 4s to their prize bulls, ever I had to ask them if doing the same to a prize breeder would be at least as stupid.

Yes, some slaves were beaten badly but who would be so stupid as to beat a prime field hand worth very near $1500 on the auction block. Yep, some overseers were pretty bad but I doubt that it was a normal thing all through the slave territories. NOw and then they had to make an example, like cutting off the front part of a foot on a runner, but people use examples in businesses to keep their workers under control.

What do you think about the mistreatment of breeders of either the bovine or human kind?

Old 05-07-2012, 03:38 PM

9,701 posts, read 5,098,532 times
Yippee. Can't wait to pay $ to be called a plantation slave waiting for my government handout...

Old 05-07-2012, 03:48 PM

15,499 posts, read 10,440,480 times
This post sounds racist to me.

Old 05-07-2012, 03:48 PM

14,496 posts, read 26,553,374 times
[quote=wutitiz;24188709]A couple of years ago libs tried to censor a mural of Harriet Tubman because she was carrying a rifle. Tubman apparently realized the value of the Second Amendment.
Disarming Harriet Tubman - Reason.com

"A couple of years ago"...really

Its not as polarized as you think. Some dont care if people carry rifles, it cuts down on population.

Old 05-07-2012, 03:54 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,321,941 times
Quote:

Slave Punishments

Fugitive Slaves

Analogies don't have complete one-to-one correspondence. As a prof of mine used to say, 'all analogies walk with a limp.' The fact that black conservatives are not being whipped does not invalidate the analogy. To say so shows a basic misunderstanding of analogies.

Take another analogy that is often used by gay liberals who compare their cause to the cause of black civil rights in the 50's & 60's. There are some major differences. For example gays were not brought to America in chains as slaves. But does this mean that those who use the analogy are 'self-righteous,' 'clueless' etc? Not really, there are enough similarites there to make it a worthwhile analogy, at least in my opinion (doubtless many conservatives will disagree).

Old 05-07-2012, 03:55 PM

9,701 posts, read 5,098,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
I think that we haven't read the same kinds of books about slavery. While I would have been very much against slavery in 1860, just as I am now, it really bothers me to see people using stories about abuse like that one link and never really want to discuss how people treat their animals.

When I was teaching I used to push kids into going wild about whipping and beating and always use the same analogy to make them think, just a bit. Since they were always mostly farm kids and their fathers bred cattle with prize bulls I liked to liken how they treated their bulls to how slave breeders did the same thing. They always agreed that their daddies didn't take 2 x 4s to their prize bulls, ever I had to ask them if doing the same to a prize breeder would be at least as stupid.

Yes, some slaves were beaten badly but who would be so stupid as to beat a prime field hand worth very near $1500 on the auction block. Yep, some overseers were pretty bad but I doubt that it was a normal thing all through the slave territories. NOw and then they had to make an example, like cutting off the front part of a foot on a runner, but people use examples in businesses to keep their workers under control.

What do you think about the mistreatment of breeders of either the bovine or human kind?
Lol... so slaves just got up and worked from sunlight to sundown for the fun of it? The reality of savage beatings doesn't remove the threat of savage beatings, nor the reality of minor beatings or other punishments that would have been called cruel and unusual if they were done to anyone who wasn't a slave.

Old 05-07-2012, 04:18 PM

45,400 posts, read 26,983,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stick2dascript View Post
The problem with black conservatives and most republicans in general is they believe they need to fit into "white America's way of doing things" to get accepted. They basically turn their back on African American history and culture and take on what they feel is the superior culture which is what they see as white culture.

The democratic plantation comment shows how stupid and idiotic they actually are. Name 5 differences of social policy between democratic and conservative? You couldn't.

How is anti abortion or anti gay rights keeping blacks on the plantation? Is unemployment keeping blacks on the plantation? Is welfare that's been out since way back in the day keeping blacks on the plantation? Same welfare that also benefits whites. Is food stamps keeping blacks on the plantation?

Is poor quality supermarkets opened in predominantly black areas keeping blacks on the plantation? How about liquor stores that are basically on every block in the hood? Check cashing stores, pawn shops that always east of the railroad tracks whichbis usually in the poor black areas?

Those are things that can and will keep blacks on the plantation.

Black conservatives don't even know they're getting played and used as example by the right wing, they're so happy to say "I'm not one of them" they can't even tell when they get laughed at.

Democratic plantation?
Wow - amazing stuff here.

What is "white America's way of doing things" versus black America's way of doing things? Please explain the differences.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies