Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2012, 07:30 AM

29,407 posts, read 21,996,065 times

Advertisements

My 12yo daughter packs mace wherever she goes and she knows how to use it. Other than school of course. Zero tolerance means zero tolerance. In today's day and age you even sneeze wrong they kick your butt out of school.

Why this kid hasn't been expelled is beyond me. They expelled a kid who brought a butter knife her mother packed in her lunch from my kids school last year. I guess if she were gay she'd get a pass. That appears where we're headed now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2012, 07:41 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,756,720 times
I was born with very nearsighted vision. One result was I was very bad at stick and ball sports. I was also a very slight build. The result was I was bullied until I was about 14 years old. The school authorities ignored the situation and my step father was one of the bullies. It was not fun at school but that was better than at home.

The summer of my 14th birthday I gained about 40 pounds of muscle as well as learned some dirty fighting. Next fall was interesting as I responded to the familiar bullies by causing them great pain without permanent damage or too many bruises. I learned to use force very effectively. The bullies left me alone thereafter.

The difficulty was I have spent the rest of my life, since 'Nam anyway, restraining my use of force except for a couple of attempted muggings that I survived.

In this kid's case I think a tazer is appropriate.

Old 05-08-2012, 07:53 AM

8,091 posts, read 5,908,581 times
(s)he should have turned the tazer on himself...

Old 05-08-2012, 07:56 AM

14,810 posts, read 16,201,636 times
Maybe the mom should be tasered for sending her son to school with a weapon.

Old 05-08-2012, 08:01 AM

8,091 posts, read 5,908,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunucu Beach View Post
Maybe the mom should be tasered for sending her son to school with a weapon.
That too....^^^^

I don't see why the teasing/bullying of this kid is such an outrage...

You want to do something stupid to get teased at school??? I can't think of anything better than a boy dressing like a girl...that will definitely get the result you are looking for...

This is a country where gender roles are social norms....so.....if he wants to dress like a girl, he will get poked fun at. Simple... Why is everyone shocked by this?? It's no different than somebody going out in public naked and getting arrested for it...

Are we going to fight for peoples right to walk outside naked next???

Old 05-08-2012, 08:34 AM

13,053 posts, read 12,946,110 times
From the OP's article:

Indiana mom sends son to school with stun gun to confront bullies - CNN.com

Quote:
"If you wear female apparel, then kids are kids and they're going to say whatever it is that they want to say," Yarrell told The Star. "Because you want to be different and because you choose to wear female apparel, it may happen. In the idealistic society, it shouldn't matter. People should be able to wear what they want to wear."
As was mentioned, it does not justify the ridicule he got, but this is the reality of the issue. He wore what would be considered controversial even in adult society. To think he could be so flamboyant in high school? It is High School, seriously, it is the epitome of judgmental and aggressive society, what was he thinking?

During my days, wearing normal clothes that were not of a fad or teeny bopper fashion would sometimes gain ridicule. Those who were too different from the average in school were always catching some heat from the idiots and as I said, the clothing could be as normal as a stripped shirt and jeans, etc...

Like I said, while it doesn't justify any attacks he may have received, any thought to the matter would have had him coming to the likely conclusion of him wearing women's clothing being a big no no. I think this is a case of self inflicted conflict and it takes away from the real issues of people who are attacked and do their best to avoid being the center of attention.

I think this child has some emotional and mental issues that result in a desire to seek attention through such conflict.

Last edited by Nomander; 05-08-2012 at 08:57 AM..

Old 05-08-2012, 08:46 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,189,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DT113876 View Post
People are within their rights to wear whatever they want that is accordance with their gender role and gender identity, not your whims or tastes.
Provoke and pay the price. It's the way the world works.

Old 05-08-2012, 09:16 AM

15,860 posts, read 21,427,956 times
Guess my family shouldn't have put a menorah in the window or sent me to school wearing a Star of David. After all, we drew attention to ourselves so therefore we deserved the emotional and physical bullying at school and at friends' homes (often coming from the parents), the cross burned on our lawn, and the rock thrown through a window displaying a menorah.

After all, if you are at all different, you deserve any abuse. It's not the abuser's fault. Not at all.

Old 05-08-2012, 09:20 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,189,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
Guess my family shouldn't have put a menorah in the window or sent me to school wearing a Star of David. After all, we drew attention to ourselves so therefore we deserved the emotional and physical bullying at school and at friends' homes (often coming from the parents), the cross burned on our lawn, and the rock thrown through a window displaying a menorah.

After all, if you are at all different, you deserve any abuse. It's not the abuser's fault. Not at all.

Are you comparing being Jewish to being openly gay?

Old 05-08-2012, 09:27 AM

3,204 posts, read 2,866,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
For the record, I do NOT think that was an okay solution... she shouldn't have done that, and I'm only defending the kid's right to dress & act as he pleases (within school-defined rules).

I'm guessing the school defined rules are to dress in a way that is not distracting. It does say in the article that he had been told to tone it down. (previously causing problems)

Can I assume you're referring to the incident in Morgan Hill, which is in my neck of the woods? If so, I hope you know there was a lot more to the story! It wasn't about wearing an American flag, it was a specific incident of students (who were previously guilty of causing problems) inciting a fight on Cinco de Mayo. Lots of schools around here also have a "no logo/graphic" rule, so that may have applied in this case too.

How do you know there isn't a lot more to this story too? It sounds as if this is an ongoing problem and he is trying to provoke a response.

BIG difference between going nude and wearing a dress, as I really shouldn't have to explain. Otherwise wouldn't dresses be banned for girls too? This is about whether or not gender-specific attire should be enforced - actually I should say MALE-specific attire, since few people mind women wearing pants these days.

Well short dresses are usually banned for girls. The reason for this is that it is a distraction. Of course, going to school nude would be a distraction as well, but why should these children be told their wayof life can't be expressed in school? If we are going to make allowances for one special interest group why wouldn't we do that for all special interest groups? Aren't people striving for equality for all?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies