Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2012, 07:00 PM

20,719 posts, read 19,363,240 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by A&M_Indie_08 View Post
You are talking about a hundred yrs ago..... I am referring to the fact that fast food was hugely popular starting in the 1970's and only recently (last 10-15 yrs) have obesity rates risen dramatically. The things that have changes are lifestyles... less play for kids, more tv watching, computers etc.

You might want to educate yourself on these things

Parents (mostly on the left) always want a scapegoat for their lack af parenting skills..... so here they are blaming food
Wrong on two attempts. Try last 30 to 40 years. The biggest rise was well before what you primarily claim as the cause. What I cited is 2 years old meaning not the last 10-15 years at all.

U.S. obesity rate leveling off, at about one-third of adults - USATODAY.com

The percentage of adults who are obese hasn't increased much over the past 10 years after several decades of skyrocketing growth, an indication that America's obesity epidemic is finally starting to level off, according to a landmark government analysis released Wednesday.

It began to rise in the 80s when fast food became the channel for cheap industrial food. Fast food used to be more costly, and it was far less frequent. It was also still somewhat food. Home cooking was still prevalent before the feminists declared the role of women to be worthless. Too bad they were wrong about that too becoming wage slaves and leaving us with a pack of fat and stupid zombies. Taking out the garbage may not bring prestige, but there is no prestige anywhere when rats run in the streets and cockroaches infest the pantries. So with too many chiefs and not enough chefs the lowest bidder won the contract to provide the hog feed.

Your observation has simply added a generous helping of sloth so that we may become a detestable race of corpulent vermin ourselves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2012, 07:09 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,594,973 times
lol. lapband and Mcds adverts on same page.

Classic.

American society is now in a "service" economy. It is up to individuals to educate their kids and show them proper food choices. Nothing to do with the government.

There is something VERY wrong with a society that has hospitals with McDonald's in the lobby next door to the Emergency Room.

Hollywood Memorial Hospital www.RioMcDonalds.com - Hollywood Memorial Hospital www.RioMcDonalds.com

Old 05-08-2012, 07:20 PM

3,345 posts, read 3,074,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1 View Post
Wrong on two attempts. Try last 30 to 40 years. The biggest rise was well before what you primarily claim as the cause. What I cited is 2 years old meaning not the last 10-15 years at all.

U.S. obesity rate leveling off, at about one-third of adults - USATODAY.com
The percentage of adults who are obese hasn't increased much over the past 10 years after several decades of skyrocketing growth, an indication that America's obesity epidemic is finally starting to level off, according to a landmark government analysis released Wednesday.

It began to rise in the 80s when fast food became the channel for cheap industrial food. Fast food used to be more costly, and it was far less frequent. It was also still somewhat food. Home cooking was still prevalent before the feminists declared the role of women to be worthless. Too bad they were wrong about that too becoming wage slaves and leaving us with a pack of fat and stupid zombies. Taking out the garbage may not bring prestige, but there is no prestige anywhere when rats run in the streets and cockroaches infest the pantries. So with too many chiefs and not enough chefs the lowest bidder won the contract to provide the hog feed.

Your observation has simply added a generous helping of sloth so that we may become a detestable race of corpulent vermin ourselves.
Obesity in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
You are very dense..... the prevelence of fast food started in the 1970's...the fact that the rates continued to rise after this correlates even more to the fact that lifestyles have changed..... as I stated

The fact of the matter is that people are lazier than before and work longer and more sedentary jobs and that is the biggest factor in obesity rates. You were even wrong on the supersize thing...... even after the supersize was phased out... rates CONTINUED to rise

If it is slowing down, it is probably due to more gyms being started up and incentives to join them

Less home cooking, if you want to blame feminism and breakdown of the family can also be attributed to it.... but you might catch heat from women for saying that

Old 05-08-2012, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
lol. lapband and Mcds adverts on same page.

Classic.

American society is now in a "service" economy. It is up to individuals to educate their kids and show them proper food choices. Nothing to do with the government.

There is something VERY wrong with a society that has hospitals with McDonald's in the lobby next door to the Emergency Room.

Hollywood Memorial Hospital www.RioMcDonalds.com - Hollywood Memorial Hospital www.RioMcDonalds.com

I really don't know what the hell is wrong with so called conservatives these days? Da guberment is certainly broken, but it needs to be engaged, not abandoned. In addition they seem oblivious that the corporations they worship have been packing congress. It currently is the da guberment of big business. They have not even remotely abandoned it. They use it to destroy their competitors and expand their product that is made as cheaply as possible reaping profits while putting any expenses on the public account.

Being conservative has nothing to do with that idea. Certainly being against a welfare state is consistent with the philosophy , but how this translates into Ode to the Joy of Monopolistic Enterprise is quite a mystery to me.

Last edited by gwynedd1; 05-08-2012 at 07:47 PM..

Old 05-08-2012, 07:34 PM

5,002 posts, read 12,360,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Not according to my doctor. We were actually discussing this subject last week and his observations. Are you sure there is nothing that has changed about the food? My grandma, too, disagreed, after having seen the world for over 100 years and being a farmer.
I would say that lifestyles have gotten far more sedentary.

I also think it is the food we eat.

It's a combination and we need to get real with our food and our lifestyles.

My wife is from Japan and I'm always astounded by how many skinny people there are.

And then I realize what people do:
  • They walk/bike/take the train instead of driving everywhere
  • They eat a majority of their food as vegetables. Protein is obtained mostly through tofu and fish
  • Their foods are more organic
  • Their foods are also healthier when they aren't (i.e. no partially hydrogenated soybean oil, no high fructose corn syrup, fewer chemicals, etc)
  • Their food industry is strictly regulated and based on science
  • Meal portion sizes are smaller
  • Food is in general more expensive

Many people in Japan are sedentary by lifestyle and yet they remain thinner.

By my calculations, the price of food would have to literally DOUBLE to get Americans to stop eating so much, or they'd have to all start walking on treadmills at work. We also need to get tough on our food industry that keeps trying to shove pink slime and toxic, carcinogenic chemicals into our foods (next time you think about getting that chicken, think again).

Old 05-08-2012, 07:43 PM

2,616 posts, read 2,398,603 times
What a great thread for CDF. Complaining about obesity on a forum that requires you to sit on your arse in front of a computer and complain about a lack of physical activity.
I love this country!!!!!

Old 05-08-2012, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A&M_Indie_08 View Post
Obesity in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
You are very dense..... the prevelence of fast food started in the 1970's...the fact that the rates continued to rise after this correlates even more to the fact that lifestyles have changed..... as I stated
Sorry buddy but I grew up in the 70s and fast food was once a week at best. And great , you provided a link without supporting your empty claim.

Quote:
The fact of the matter is that people are lazier than before and work longer and more sedentary jobs and that is the biggest factor in obesity rates. You were even wrong on the supersize thing...... even after the supersize was phased out... rates CONTINUED to rise
. Yeah I don't know super sized was phased out....Yeah the actual calling attention to portion sizes has been phased out kinda like Chemlawn used the same chemicals under the marketing term TrueGreed....You are wrong, move on. I know its painful when you start out with such arrogance, but you need to suck it up.

Quote:
If it is slowing down, it is probably due to more gyms being started up and incentives to join them

Less home cooking, if you want to blame feminism and breakdown of the family can also be attributed to it.... but you might catch heat from women for saying that
My fear of women, feminists in particular, is notoriously non existent. I have no use for fat, militant, gender equalists, and I just love the other kind. And what does that change of the facts? Someone needed to pick up the slack. I happened to be one of them.

Old 05-08-2012, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eskercurve View Post
I would say that lifestyles have gotten far more sedentary.

I also think it is the food we eat.

It's a combination and we need to get real with our food and our lifestyles.

My wife is from Japan and I'm always astounded by how many skinny people there are.

And then I realize what people do:
  • They walk/bike/take the train instead of driving everywhere
  • They eat a majority of their food as vegetables. Protein is obtained mostly through tofu and fish
  • Their foods are more organic
  • Their foods are also healthier when they aren't (i.e. no partially hydrogenated soybean oil, no high fructose corn syrup, fewer chemicals, etc)
  • Their food industry is strictly regulated and based on science
  • Meal portion sizes are smaller
  • Food is in general more expensive

Many people in Japan are sedentary by lifestyle and yet they remain thinner.

By my calculations, the price of food would have to literally DOUBLE to get Americans to stop eating so much, or they'd have to all start walking on treadmills at work. We also need to get tough on our food industry that keeps trying to shove pink slime and toxic, carcinogenic chemicals into our foods (next time you think about getting that chicken, think again).

You just crushed the opposing argument. So much so I am awe struck in admiration.

I like to kill two birds with one stone. Wild food is organic as well as exercise.

Old 05-08-2012, 08:06 PM

3,345 posts, read 3,074,946 times
Obesity and Overweight for Professionals: Data and Statistics: Adult Obesity - DNPAO - CDC

For the most part, the most obese states are also..... waiting....

The Most Active States in America

The least active states.... wow.... what a difference facts make rather than anecdotes based on folks with an agenda

People are making loose arguments based on politcal agendas without facts

Especially a certain dense person.... obesity can be lowered by maintaining an active lifestyle for those who are not predisposed to it

Letting kids be kids wouldn't hurt rather than discouraging their active nature by sticking them on drugs like ritilin all the time

Kids are active..... naturally.... what a concept

Old 05-09-2012, 03:54 AM

22,632 posts, read 14,943,387 times
When it comes to obesity, I am very conflicted about this topic ...

You see, I used to be overweight, but now I am trim - not exactly skinny - but near my perfect BMI.

Part of me is sympathetic to the plight of obese people ... I know how easy it is to put on those pounds, eating can be a disorder and a comfort to people, and so on.

On the other hand I know how much of a health risk obesity is and I am astounded by the fact so many people are not taking steps to the lose the weight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies